cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Looking for possible secondary hwy rout east to west Texas

agesilaus
Explorer II
Explorer II
I want to end up near Amarillo starting from the eastern border. We generally pick up US 287 in DFW but looking at the map maybe getting on it sooner at Beaumont, but don't want to drive thru DFW if possible. Any thoughts from you Texicans will be welcome. Just looking for something different this time.

Maybe cut across NE in Palestine to Taylor and catch that bypass around DFW that's been suggested here.
Arctic Fox 25Y Travel Trailer
2018 RAM 2500 6.7L 4WD shortbed
Straightline dual cam hitch
400W Solar with Victron controller
Superbumper
18 REPLIES 18

Atlee
Explorer
Explorer
Or the movie "Quigley, Downunder".

agesilaus wrote:
2112 wrote:
agesilaus wrote:
Any thoughts from you Texicans will be welcome.
What the heck is a Texican?

So you never watched the movie: The Alamo?....heh
Erroll, Mary
2021 Coachmen Freedom Express 20SE
2014 F150 Supercab 4x4 w/ 8' box, Ecoboost & HD Pkg
Equal-i-zer Hitch

TxGearhead
Explorer
Explorer
HWY 6 will get you to Quanah on US287. 105 from Beaumont to Navasota will avoid Houston.
2018 Ram 3500 CC LB DRW 4X4 Cummins Aisin Laramie Pearl White
2018 Landmark Oshkosh
2008 Bigfoot 25C9.4
2014 NauticStar 21 ShallowBay 150HP Yamaha
2016 GoDevil 18X44 35HP Surface Drive

TxGearhead
Explorer
Explorer
287/69 northbound out of Beaumont is a good road.
I'm gonna drive it from Port Arthur Texas to Choteau Montana one of these days.
2018 Ram 3500 CC LB DRW 4X4 Cummins Aisin Laramie Pearl White
2018 Landmark Oshkosh
2008 Bigfoot 25C9.4
2014 NauticStar 21 ShallowBay 150HP Yamaha
2016 GoDevil 18X44 35HP Surface Drive

agesilaus
Explorer II
Explorer II
If you are Searching for the BEST 4x4 roads - Look to Silverton and Lake City in Colorado - 4X4 Heaven, Colorado San Juan's and the Collegiates.
-------------------------------------------------------------------

Two years ago we spent 2 weeks there doing just that. Did the Alpine loop and a number of other trails. I have to rate that as out favorite trail.

We aren't up to serious rock crawling since we have a stock 4WD F350. We did get on one trail in Canyonlands with 12 inch rock ledges and that cured us of going on certain trails. Had to build a ramp down to get out...heh.
Superbumper

Big_Katuna
Explorer II
Explorer II
Has 98 been resurfaced? Parts of it were rough.
My Kharma ran over my Dogma.

BB_TX
Nomad
Nomad
If you do take I-20 thru the Shreveport area, make sure to take the I-220 bypass around Shreveport/Bossier City. I-20 is pretty good east of Bossier City and west of Shreveport. But the stretch thru Shreveport/Bossier City is about the worst highway you can imagine.

Busskipper
Explorer
Explorer
agesilaus wrote:
Sounds like a great trip - a few more places to drive through - Going to North Rim - Drive throughs [emoticon] We've spent the Night in the Wal*Mart in Paris - Stopped to Photo Window rock in the City of Window Rock [emoticon] - Always enjoy Canyon de Chelly - never Miss - Monument Valley, Goosenecks and Mexican Hat - on the way to Page then catching Horseshoe of the Colorado, possibly Antelope Canyon - then Lee's Ferry before Boondocking at North Rim - Always catching the Breakfast Buffet to watch the Sunrise in the Grand Canyon. We have always had fond memories in this area.
---------------------------------------------------------------
Leaving N. Fla in late May.

Oh we've been to the North Rim several times but there are more 4WD roads that I want to explore there. The one place that we've never been to is Canyon de Chelly. Mainly because I hate to be forced to pay for tours like that (yes I know there is an unpaid route there) but I was thinking that maybe we'll stop there this time. We've been to everything else on your list except Antelope Canyon.

After North Rim we're heading north into Utah to Kolob in Zion and then to a number of 4WD roads in Central Utah like 9 mile canyon. Then maybe to Tetons. When we did a quick stop there last year I realized that there is more to explore there than is first obvious tho we've been there 4 or 5 times. I have to put a quick stop in Provo for my wife, she wants to visit a family friend there.

Then we are going to run all the way up Idaho on that road along the west side to Bonner's Ferry. The panhandle is new country to me. Tho I lived in Arco ID for 9 months.

Then all the way east on US 2 to Minnesota and down thru Minnesota and Wisconsin along the lakes. Hopefully Black Fly season will be over by then. It will be late July-early August by then.

If you are Searching for the BEST 4x4 roads - Look to Silverton and Lake City in Colorado - 4X4 Heaven, Colorado San Juan's and the Collegiates.

JMHO,
Busskipper
Maryland/Colorado
Travel Supreme 42DS04
GX470-FMCA - Travel less now - But still love to be on the Road
States traveled in this Coach

agesilaus
Explorer II
Explorer II
Sounds like a great trip - a few more places to drive through - Going to North Rim - Drive throughs [emoticon] We've spent the Night in the Wal*Mart in Paris - Stopped to Photo Window rock in the City of Window Rock [emoticon] - Always enjoy Canyon de Chelly - never Miss - Monument Valley, Goosenecks and Mexican Hat - on the way to Page then catching Horseshoe of the Colorado, possibly Antelope Canyon - then Lee's Ferry before Boondocking at North Rim - Always catching the Breakfast Buffet to watch the Sunrise in the Grand Canyon. We have always had fond memories in this area.
---------------------------------------------------------------
Leaving N. Fla in late May.

Oh we've been to the North Rim several times but there are more 4WD roads that I want to explore there. The one place that we've never been to is Canyon de Chelly. Mainly because I hate to be forced to pay for tours like that (yes I know there is an unpaid route there) but I was thinking that maybe we'll stop there this time. We've been to everything else on your list except Antelope Canyon.

After North Rim we're heading north into Utah to Kolob in Zion and then to a number of 4WD roads in Central Utah like 9 mile canyon. Then maybe to Tetons. When we did a quick stop there last year I realized that there is more to explore there than is first obvious tho we've been there 4 or 5 times. I have to put a quick stop in Provo for my wife, she wants to visit a family friend there.

Then we are going to run all the way up Idaho on that road along the west side to Bonner's Ferry. The panhandle is new country to me. Tho I lived in Arco ID for 9 months.

Then all the way east on US 2 to Minnesota and down thru Minnesota and Wisconsin along the lakes. Hopefully Black Fly season will be over by then. It will be late July-early August by then.
Superbumper

Busskipper
Explorer
Explorer
padredw wrote:
As so often, I find myself in agreement with BusSkipper. In fact, I will endorse his version of the trip. The only difference between his map and my original route has more to do with the local roads I use to get from I-20 up to US 82 (and that has to do with where my home is located--right in the middle). His map makes more sense than mine for those not as familiar with the local roads I mentioned between Shreveport and Paris as I am.

Thank You, I've found that the locals Know the Best routes and I just use the Bing Map as it is Easier to follow (for me, I need Pictures :))

Paris is My waypoint and I've never had an issue with the route as it allows me to get to the areas I generally am interested in and avoids the Big Cities I'm not.

As you can see, if you follow the second Map, I've always tried to Make the Trip as Good as the Destination and the North Rim is Easy with so much to see and do along the Way.

Think the first time I went to the North Rim I was 8 or 9 and while I may have lost track of the Date I've Never lost track of the Trip - Just a Special Place - Beautiful - Fewer People - Higher elevation so Cooler - Pretty close to Perfect.

JMHO,
Busskipper
Maryland/Colorado
Travel Supreme 42DS04

padredw
Nomad
Nomad
As so often, I find myself in agreement with BusSkipper. In fact, I will endorse his version of the trip. The only difference between his map and my original route has more to do with the local roads I use to get from I-20 up to US 82 (and that has to do with where my home is located--right in the middle). His map makes more sense than mine for those not as familiar with the local roads I mentioned between Shreveport and Paris as I am.

Busskipper
Explorer
Explorer
agesilaus wrote:
Busskipper wrote:
agesilaus wrote:
I want to end up near Amarillo starting from the eastern border. We generally pick up US 287 in DFW but looking at the map maybe getting on it sooner at Beaumont, but don't want to drive thru DFW if possible. Any thoughts from you Texicans will be welcome. Just looking for something different this time.

Maybe cut across NE in Palestine to Taylor and catch that bypass around DFW that's been suggested here.

Padredw is the Texas Authority - But when we go through Texas this has always worked for Us - Map across Texas

Avoids the Big cities and is easy - hard to give generalized help when the cities are iffy in the Question :)? After many tries in the Great Big State of Texas this is our prefered route.

Easy North on the non Interstates to Denver - Golden Clear Creek - easy to get into Mid Colorado - Great Sand Dunes - Easy to just use I-40 on to Canyon de Chelly 🙂

Just My Humble Opinion,

That's an interesting route, not only does it avoid Interstates in TX but in LA too. And it takes us thru country that we have never traveled. We may give that a try, I saved your map. Thanks.

We're probably headed to the North Rim as our first major stop.

Sounds like a great trip - a few more places to drive through - Going to North Rim - Drive throughs 🙂 We've spent the Night in the Wal*Mart in Paris - Stopped to Photo Window rock in the City of Window Rock 🙂 - Always enjoy Canyon de Chelly - never Miss - Monument Valley, Goosenecks and Mexican Hat - on the way to Page then catching Horseshoe of the Colorado, possibly Antelope Canyon - then Lee's Ferry before Boondocking at North Rim - Always catching the Breakfast Buffet to watch the Sunrise in the Grand Canyon. We have always had fond memories in this area.

Best of Luck,
Busskipper
Maryland/Colorado
Travel Supreme 42DS04

agesilaus
Explorer II
Explorer II
Busskipper wrote:
agesilaus wrote:

Padredw is the Texas Authority - But when we go through Texas this has always worked for Us - Map across Texas

Avoids the Big cities and is easy - hard to give generalized help when the cities are iffy in the Question :)? After many tries in the Great Big State of Texas this is our prefered route.

Easy North on the non Interstates to Denver - Golden Clear Creek - easy to get into Mid Colorado - Great Sand Dunes - Easy to just use I-40 on to Canyon de Chelly 🙂

Just My Humble Opinion,

That's an interesting route, not only does it avoid Interstates in TX but in LA too. And it takes us thru country that we have never traveled. We may give that a try, I saved your map. Thanks.

We're probably headed to the North Rim as our first major stop.
Superbumper

agesilaus
Explorer II
Explorer II
2112 wrote:
agesilaus wrote:
Any thoughts from you Texicans will be welcome.
What the heck is a Texican?

So you never watched the movie: The Alamo?....heh
Superbumper

Busskipper
Explorer
Explorer
agesilaus wrote:

Just My Humble Opinion,
Busskipper
Maryland/Colorado
Travel Supreme 42DS04