cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Starting battery goes dead

TNGW1500SE
Explorer
Explorer
My starting battery is going dead when parked and while plugged in. The house batteries stay charged. The starting battery doesn't get charged.

Is there any reason why I just couldn't connect the house batteries to the starting battery with a jumper wire on the positive terminal just for when it's parked in the winter? I could install an inline fuse in the wire. They are both connected to the frame on the negative side.

Any reason not to?
23 REPLIES 23

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
The advantage of the Trik-L-Start is one way charging. So you can not by accident drain the chassis batteries.
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

FIRE_UP
Explorer
Explorer
TNGW1500SE,
Nice bike by the way, always liked those. Anyway, do yourself a favor, spend the $45 or so for the Trik-L-Start and be done with it. It's totally automatic, takes care of your chassis batteries WITHOUT you even being around to think about controlling the situation 'cause, all the "thinking" is done for you.
Scott
Scott and Karla
SDFD RETIRED
2004 Itasca Horizon, 36GD Slate Blue 330 CAT
2011 GMC Sierra 1500 Ext Cab 4x4 Toad
2008 Caliente Red LVL II GL 1800 Goldwing
KI60ND

prepilot_3ck
Explorer
Explorer
I 2nd the battery maintainer. I did this on my old DP, but I used a super-duper cheap deal from harbor freight.

https://www.harborfreight.com/automatic-battery-float-charger-42292.html

Worked really well. Wouldn't charge it from dead, but if you put it away charged/mostly charged, you'd be topped off when you needed it again.

I'm not officially recommending a $10 battery maintainer, although I did use them on MANY MANY things with great success, a better quality one is probably a better choice.

Brian
2016 Thor Outlaw 37RB
VW Tiguan Toad.
Coupla bikes, coupla dogs, coupla 40-somethings wishing they were retired.

My Reviews:
-----------
Campendium: https://www.campendium.com/users/157273
Campground Reviews: http://www.campgroundreviews.com/profile/31929

time2roll
Explorer II
Explorer II
Direct wire is fine until you forget it once and discharge all batteries when camped off-grid. And still if you can get the generator started it matters even less... just charge them up.

TNGW1500SE
Explorer
Explorer
YC 1 wrote:
That will work just fine. If you want some fun, install a 12 volt tail light bulb or dome light inline and if the engine battery is low the bulb will glow until the two batteries come to the same level. It acts as a current limiting device although not needed and just a fun thing for me to do on my last RV until I installed the Trik-l-start.

I have that hooked up now and the bulb is getting dimmer as time goes by. If this worked for you, why buy the Trik-l-start? All you'd need is a switch on this to stop any discharge when boondocking.

4x4van
Explorer
Explorer
While a Trik-L-Start is great, a simple jumper wire is a cheap and easy way to keep both battery banks charged while in storage; I do exactly that. Disconnecting your chassis battery means you lose all of your radio presets/clock, etc.
We don't stop playing because we grow old...We grow old because we stop playing!

2004 Itasca Sunrise M-30W
Carson enclosed ATV Trailer
-'85 ATC250R, '12 Husky TE310, '20 CanAm X3 X rs Turbo RR
Zieman Jetski Trailer
-'96 GTi, '96 Waveblaster II

maddog348
Explorer
Explorer
Trik-L-Start works inna garage

JM2¢ ~~ YMMV

CoeyCoey
Explorer
Explorer
i installed a trick-l-start and it works great. Before that, My starter battery would die while on shore power every time. I was replacing batteries offten. The best thing about the trick-l-start is that I can listen to the car audio without killing the battery. When I store it, I either plu it in, or I disconnect the battery.

TNGW1500SE
Explorer
Explorer
pianotuna wrote:
Trik-L-Start and some solar!

It's in a garage.

TNGW1500SE
Explorer
Explorer
FIRE UP wrote:
TNGW1500SE wrote:
My starting battery is going dead when parked and while plugged in. The house batteries stay charged. The starting battery doesn't get charged.

Is there any reason why I just couldn't connect the house batteries to the starting battery with a jumper wire on the positive terminal just for when it's parked in the winter? I could install an inline fuse in the wire. They are both connected to the frame on the negative side.

Any reason not to?

It would be nice to know the make/model/year/engine/chassis of the coach we're talking about. For instance, Winnebago coaches from late '05 down, especially the diesel ones, were not equipped with any form of chassis battery charging while on shore power. But, in '06, Winne started installing a unit called the Trik-L-Start. It's NOT A BATTERY CHARGER! It's simply a control unit that when conditions are met, it will siphon off, SOME of the charging intended towards the house batteries, to be re-directed to the chassis batteries, at a maximum rate of 5 amps.

So, this is why I ask about the year/make etc.
Scott

2003 Itasca Sunova 30B

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
Trik-L-Start and some solar!
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

Gjac
Explorer III
Explorer III
Yes you can connect a jumper wire and yes you can buy a trickle charger, but the simpler way to store your batteries for an extended period like over the winter is to fully charge then and disconnect the neg cable. I would also check to see what the parasitic load is on your starting battery. You don't say how long it takes to lose its charge but if it will not start your engine after sitting for 3 weeks or less your battery may be bad or your parasitic load is to high.

wolfe10
Explorer
Explorer
Airdaile wrote:
TNGW1500SE wrote:
doxiemom11 wrote:
We have an auxiliary start button on our dash that when on will use the house batteries to help start the engine if the chassis battery is weak. We also have a battery disconnect/shut-off for the chassis battery that we use any time we will be parked more than a few days. Even after a full winter stored outside in Michigan, we turned the battery back on and the motorhome started right up. You don't have either of these things?

I've got the switch that connects the two on the dash but that's hooked to a solenoid and can't be left on. I do not have a disconnect.

It's not meant to be left on. It's a momentary cross connect to the house batteries to get the engine started and supply field voltage to the alternator until the chassis batteries come up far enough to supply the field themselves. You may need to hold it closed for a minute or so.

Not universally true. Agree, many coaches use momentary switches and intermittent duty solenoids, but others do use constant duty solenoids. The latter type can be left on 24/7.

With that said, I agree that is NOT the way I would combine the battery banks.

I like either the "smart combiners" like the one mentioned or small smart stand along 120 VAC charger designed for exactly this purpose.
Brett Wolfe
Ex: 2003 Alpine 38'FDDS
Ex: 1997 Safari 35'
Ex: 1993 Foretravel U240

Diesel RV Club:http://www.dieselrvclub.org/

Airdaile
Explorer
Explorer
TNGW1500SE wrote:
doxiemom11 wrote:
We have an auxiliary start button on our dash that when on will use the house batteries to help start the engine if the chassis battery is weak. We also have a battery disconnect/shut-off for the chassis battery that we use any time we will be parked more than a few days. Even after a full winter stored outside in Michigan, we turned the battery back on and the motorhome started right up. You don't have either of these things?

I've got the switch that connects the two on the dash but that's hooked to a solenoid and can't be left on. I do not have a disconnect.

It's not meant to be left on. It's a momentary cross connect to the house batteries to get the engine started and supply field voltage to the alternator until the chassis batteries come up far enough to supply the field themselves. You may need to hold it closed for a minute or so.