cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

"Dry" rivers in Michigan

GordonThree
Explorer
Explorer
Apparently the National Forest Service has declared it a federal felony to drink alcohol on or near several popular rivers in Northern lower Michigan, starting this summer.

Clicky

Edit, looking like it's been the law since 2003 maybe, but enforcement will be much stricter going forward.
2013 KZ Sportsmen Classic 200, 20 ft TT
2020 RAM 1500, 5.7 4x4, 8 speed
8 REPLIES 8

valhalla360
Nomad II
Nomad II
wrktfsh wrote:
I read about this on a fishing website. Apparently itโ€™s not a few ruining it but a whole bunch of slobs ruining it. Apparently itโ€™s like a drunken zoo during the summer

Taking a couple coolers and having a fun afternoon has been going on for decades.

Now if they are littering or vandalizing the area, sure go after them but really more of using a sledgehammer to kill a fly.
Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV

GordonThree
Explorer
Explorer
wrktfsh wrote:
I read about this on a fishing website. Apparently itโ€™s not a few ruining it but a whole bunch of slobs ruining it. Apparently itโ€™s like a drunken zoo during the summer

Yes, living near one of these rivers, I often see flotillas of drunken people tossing their empties and other trash in the river. They also pull off onto the shore, burn anything they can find in a bonfire, and leave plenty of empties behind.
2013 KZ Sportsmen Classic 200, 20 ft TT
2020 RAM 1500, 5.7 4x4, 8 speed

wrktfsh
Explorer
Explorer

Trekkar
Explorer
Explorer
I wonder if it's just the alcohol causing problems. It seems that too many folks don't know or care to clean up after themselves, especially along rivers that can be environmentally delicate. (Dump it in the river, no one will know.)
2014 Dodge Ram 1500
2021 Salem SFX 167RBK

gbopp
Explorer
Explorer
agesilaus wrote:
In most states any crime that gives more than a year and a day in prison is a felony.

The 'official' closure order states up to six months. That's why I commented about professional journalism. The dumbing down of America continues.

K_Charles
Explorer
Explorer
And you are exempt if your an officer or fire fighter doing official duties. Then you can drink by the river?

agesilaus
Explorer II
Explorer II
gbopp wrote:
The 'article' states 5 years or a 5K fine.

The Temporary Closure Order states up to 5K fine, or up to 6 months imprisonment or both.

More 'professional' journalism.

I didn't see where it is a Felony, maybe I missed it. Can you imagine being a convicted felon because you stood on a river bank and drank a beer? :S

In most states any crime that gives more than a year and a day in prison is a felony.
Arctic Fox 25Y Travel Trailer
2018 RAM 2500 6.7L 4WD shortbed
Straightline dual cam hitch
400W Solar with Victron controller
Superbumper

gbopp
Explorer
Explorer
The 'article' states 5 years or a 5K fine.

The Temporary Closure Order states up to 5K fine, or up to 6 months imprisonment or both.

More 'professional' journalism.

I didn't see where it is a Felony, maybe I missed it. Can you imagine being a convicted felon because you stood on a river bank and drank a beer? :S