cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

LED Lighting installation over the sink

deltabravo
Nomad
Nomad
Here's an easy project I did to replace the original light above the sink, which shined back in my eyes.

LED Lighting replacement
2009 Silverado 3500HD Dually, D/A, CCLB 4x4 (bought new 8/30/09)
2018 Arctic Fox 992 with an Onan 2500i "quiet" model generator
9 REPLIES 9

Almot
Explorer III
Explorer III
Lynmor - yes, I could sand dome-light lenses to "kind of" frosty. In a small space with low ceilings or under the cabinet you want a wide and diffused source of light with matte/milky cover like those panels in the OP video. Focused light from regular double-dome casts too much shade, especially with clear lenses.

Those wide LED panels almost never come with switch, I looked everywhere. Some panels have wave-hand IR switch, people complain that it switches ON every time you put something on the counter. Can't they make it with a simple rocker switch, dammit...

Lynnmor
Explorer
Explorer
Almot wrote:
Does anybody have a cheap source for matte lens for double dome lights? Mine are clear, I'm thinking to replace all of them (or most). )

You might want to try glass beading a lens on the inside to give it a frosted appearance.

dieseltruckdriv
Explorer II
Explorer II
Excellent job. I took a different route with my 27-5L.

This rail.

This strip.

DW likes to have the strips changing color. She told me that was my first job in our new 5er, so it was. ๐Ÿ˜‰
2000 F-250 7.3 Powerstroke
2018 Arctic Fox 27-5L

mobeewan
Explorer
Explorer
Check online with the manufacturer of the lights. They used Progressive Dynamic light fixtures in my 2007 trailer when they built it. PD makes four different lenses that fit them.

Almot
Explorer III
Explorer III
Does anybody have a cheap source for matte lens for double dome lights? Mine are clear, I'm thinking to replace all of them (or most). It's getting increasingly annoying with globalization-infused tendency to no longer make spare parts for people to fix things. Everybody is selling an entire double-dome "LED fixture" with LEDs and all, but I just want to replace the lens.

Sorry for hijacking the thread, sort of ๐Ÿ™‚

Lynnmor
Explorer
Explorer
The video shows a double fixture, my trailer had two single fixtures of the same type. I simply rotated them 90 degrees so that the closed end was towards interior. I replaced the incandescent bulbs with LEDs. Cost me about 3 bucks and now have lights with the switches easy to locate and can be operated individually.

Almot
Explorer III
Explorer III
deltabravo wrote:
Here's an easy project I did to replace the original light above the sink, which shined back in my eyes.

LED Lighting replacement

The problem with an old dome lights under the cabinet - too small and too focused. Panel is still not long enough for a 3ft counter. A long strip or tube would've been better, only I can't find one that is flat, matte/milky and long.

My problem with this blinding dome light was resolved by replacing the cabinet ๐Ÿ™‚ - made it few inches lower and normal 12" depth. Now there is an extra shelf inside, and doors are not hitting my forehead. The light is also lower now, doesn't blind. This solution might not work for you because of the window.

Those flat fixtures in the video would work on the ceiling too. thanks.

Edit-PS: have just realized that this type of flat panel doesn't have an On/Off switch?

ItsyRV
Explorer
Explorer
RoyF wrote:
Thanks for the "how-to" information. My over-the-sink light is not in my eyes, but it's a 12v florescent tube. I've replaced all incandesent lamps with led bulbs. I might look at this as a way to replace the florescent tube.

There are RV LED replacement tubes available at many larger RV stores or at some home improvement stores. I was going to change the fixture until I saw just the LED tubes at the store. But I will say this, at some places, the entire fixture with LED tube is cheaper than just the replacement LED tube alone.
1994 Itasca SunDancer 21RB - Chevy G-30 chassis.

RoyF
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for the "how-to" information. My over-the-sink light is not in my eyes, but it's a 12v florescent tube. I've replaced all incandesent lamps with led bulbs. I might look at this as a way to replace the florescent tube.