cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

RV vs steering tires

Groover
Explorer II
Explorer II
The tires on my Palazzo DP are now 6 years old and even though the tread is still good I have had some bad experience with tires of that age before so I am starting to look for new ones. The Goodyear RV tires don't look that much different from steering tires and the only comment that I could find about using steering tires on a class A was this: " 4 YEARS AGO. TO REPLACE MY MICHELLINE WAS $725.00 each. local truck tire dealer suggested Goodyear G395 MODEL TRUCK STEERING TIRES. FOR $410.00 each installed. Little stiffer side wall but my 40 foot sportscoach handels 300% better than with mushy michellins."

Based on that I am thinking of including steering tires in my search, my neighbor can get me fleet pricing on them. What do you guys think?

My current tires are 255/70 R22.5 Goodyear G670. I am not hung up on Goodyear. While these tires have been good I have experienced random premature sidewall cracking on other vehicles equipped with Goodyear tires.
10 REPLIES 10

tropical36
Explorer
Explorer
Groover wrote:
The tires on my Palazzo DP are now 6 years old and even though the tread is still good I have had some bad experience with tires of that age before so I am starting to look for new ones. The Goodyear RV tires don't look that much different from steering tires and the only comment that I could find about using steering tires on a class A was this: " 4 YEARS AGO. TO REPLACE MY MICHELLINE WAS $725.00 each. local truck tire dealer suggested Goodyear G395 MODEL TRUCK STEERING TIRES. FOR $410.00 each installed. Little stiffer side wall but my 40 foot sportscoach handels 300% better than with mushy michellins."

Based on that I am thinking of including steering tires in my search, my neighbor can get me fleet pricing on them. What do you guys think?

My current tires are 255/70 R22.5 Goodyear G670. I am not hung up on Goodyear. While these tires have been good I have experienced random premature sidewall cracking on other vehicles equipped with Goodyear tires.

I will only run truck tires these day and refuse to pay for a name. Have been with Hercules, for quite a while now and the price is right. Good as any, as far as I'm concerned.
"We are often so caught up in our destination that we forget to appreciate the journey."

07 Revolution LE 40E_Spartan MM_06 400HP C9 CAT_Allison 3000.

Dinghy_2010 Jeep Wrangler JKU ISLANDER.

1998 36ft. National Tropi-Cal Chevy Model 6350 (Sold)

Ivylog
Explorer III
Explorer III
Most DPs run the same tire all the way around...steer tires. No need to use RV tires, especially Michelin (sidewall cracking) or GY (edge rivering). Hankook, Toyo, Yokohama all make good tires at a reasonable price. I will not run any of the other Chinese tires on the front...might on the rear.
This post is my opinion (free advice). It is not intended to influence anyone's judgment nor do I advocate anyone do what I propose.
Sold 04 Dynasty to our son after 14 great years.
Upgraded with a 08 HR Navigator 45’...

Groover
Explorer II
Explorer II
Thanks to all for the sharing your experiences. I feel that I have a lot better feel on what to shop for now.

Mile_High
Explorer
Explorer
Replacing my OEM Michelins as well, which are weather cracked on the sidewalls.

I'm finding that unless you have some unique traction expectations for foul weather, run the steer tires all the way around. I especially want the quiet-smooth ride.

Michelin = sidewall cracks, Goodyear 670 = rivering. No sense returning to tires with known issues and paying a penalty. The Goodyear Endurance seems to be highly rated and cheaper than the "made for stationary RVs 670". I also am hearing good on the Toyo, Hankook, and Continental. FMCA now offers discounts on the Continental, Hankook, Goodrich as well as Michelin.
2013 Winnebago Itasca Meridian 42E
2013 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sahara Towed

scbwr
Explorer II
Explorer II
Consider Toyo tires. They have exccellent reviews. We put M154 Toyos on our Bay Star....have about 2K miles on them and they're doing well.
2012 Newmar Bay Star 3302
Blue Ox Avail
BrakeBuddy Advantage
2015 Malibu

"Get busy living, or get busy dying."
Andy Dufresne, The Shawshank Redemption

mike_brez
Explorer
Explorer
down home wrote:
I don't see what size tire or mh you have. We put Michelins on ours, I think they are 285x75x22 Michelin RV Steer axle tires. They have a center groove to help tracking and a decoupling groove on each side of tire.
I'm not sure of the air pressure in them at the moment. Where we store it has a chart they consult.
We had Goodyear G670s on it when we bought it. They were stiff and we had wear problems on front axle position.
725.00 indicates to me a larger tire than ours. Consult Loves and use the FMCA Michelin program. I think we paid around 500.00 or less. We didn't get them from Loves regretfully because of time element an paid for mountign and road force balancing tht cost uss twice as much as Loves.

My current tires are 255/70 R22.5 Goodyear G670
1998 36 foot Country Coach Magna #5499 Single slide
Gillig chassis with a series 40
02 Ford F250 7.3 with a few mods
2015 Wrangler JKU

down_home
Explorer
Explorer
I don't see what size tire or mh you have. We put Michelins on ours, I think they are 285x75x22 Michelin RV Steer axle tires. They have a center groove to help tracking and a decoupling groove on each side of tire.
I'm not sure of the air pressure in them at the moment. Where we store it has a chart they consult.
We had Goodyear G670s on it when we bought it. They were stiff and we had wear problems on front axle position.
725.00 indicates to me a larger tire than ours. Consult Loves and use the FMCA Michelin program. I think we paid around 500.00 or less. We didn't get them from Loves regretfully because of time element an paid for mountign and road force balancing tht cost uss twice as much as Loves.

mike_brez
Explorer
Explorer
I'm running 6year old Samsons without a single issue.
Would also look at Hankook
1998 36 foot Country Coach Magna #5499 Single slide
Gillig chassis with a series 40
02 Ford F250 7.3 with a few mods
2015 Wrangler JKU

fyrflie
Explorer III
Explorer III
I have been using regional steer tires for the last 10 years with limited issues. Had a belt separate in one tire at 7 years old. New set (Sumitomo) running for 3 years with no issues.

I don’t believe in the “ RV Tire” hype, but that’s just me.

accsys
Explorer
Explorer
We put a couple of Continental HSR2s on our steering last year and couldn't tell the difference between them and the Michelins that came off. They cost a lot less!
John & Doris
Doris and Robbies Blogs
2017 Cedar Creek Cottage 40 CCK
FMCA F380583, PA, Good Sams