Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Bed Liner

campermama
Explorer II
Explorer II
Hi All,

I am thinking about spraying my own bedliner in the truck. I found a brand that has good reviews and even comes with a spray gun. My truck has rail caps so only doing under the rails + the rest of the bed.

Have any of you attempted this? Do you like it? Hard to do? Ideas/advice?

TIA!!
2018 Dodge Ram 3500 Laramie,SRW,CTD,4x4,Long bed
2020 Jayco eagle ht 274ckds

My Adventure Blog:
https://roaddivaontheroad.blogspot.com/2020/03/getting-ready.html
7 REPLIES 7

campermama
Explorer II
Explorer II
Ok thanks guys!! I am not going to attempt it myself based on all your feedback.
You guys rock!!!
2018 Dodge Ram 3500 Laramie,SRW,CTD,4x4,Long bed
2020 Jayco eagle ht 274ckds

My Adventure Blog:
https://roaddivaontheroad.blogspot.com/2020/03/getting-ready.html

Wiscampsin
Explorer
Explorer
Agree with having a pro do it. Worth every penny. I had Line-x spray my truck bed and 13 years later no peeling, cracks, etc.

rrev
Explorer
Explorer
We do it occasionally at the body shop I work at. Problem with doing it yourself is that most people don't get the thickness that it takes to hold up. I would highly recommend taking it to Line-x or Bullet Liner. If you don't prep it well enough, which takes forever, and don't get the thickness, it will fail. If you still want to do it I can give you names of products but you really won't save money doing it yourself to do a quality job.
2008 Chevrolet Silverado 2500HD CCSB
2016 Starcraft Autumn Ridge 329BHU
2007 Starcraft Homestead 282DBS (Retired)

RobWNY
Explorer
Explorer
I know a guy that sprayed his Chevy pickup bed. When I saw him and asked how it turned out, he said "OK, but I'll never do that again". I'm not sure exactly what he meant by that but I took it to mean it wasn't an easy job to do and likely didn't save a lot of money after he factored in the time it takes and the clothing you throw away. Kind of like seal coating an asphalt driveway. You buy the 5 gallon pails of sealer and the applicator and think you're saving a lot of money. When you're done you buy a new shirt, new pants, new shoes and realize you saved nothing and it took up your whole day.
2020 Silverado 2500HD LT, CC, 4X4 6.6 Duramax
2021 Grand Design Reflection 311BHS

I asked him to do one thing and he didn't do any of them.

PhilipB
Explorer
Explorer
agree that taking it to a shop is probably a good idea. Friend of mine runs a body shop and bought a commercial system. He said it takes 8 hours to heat up the coating. He had troubles with system plugging up and being able to apply evenly. He finally gave up and let's another shop with more volume do it.
2015 Ram 2500
[purple]2013 Raptor 310TS[/purple]

bpounds
Nomad
Nomad
DIY bedliner is popular with Jeep enthusiasts, of which I R 1. Guys do the entire tub (cab and cargo areas) using the various products that are out there.

My advice is, by the time you buy the product, do the prep cleaning, sanding, cleaning again, mask the truck and then do the work, you will wish you had spent the $500 or so to have Rhino or Linex do it.

A Jeep is a different animal, requiring a lot more disassembly before you can even start the prep, and DIY makes some sense. A truck bed, not so much.
2006 F250 Diesel
2011 Keystone Cougar 278RKSWE Fiver

2oldman
Explorer
Explorer
From everything I've ever heard on the subject, it won't be nearly as good as having it professionally done.
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman