cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Spongy floor

GATJcampers
Explorer
Explorer
I would like some advice on how to repair a spongy floor. I have 26' toy hauler with a front sleeper so it has a large storage compartment in the very front. The compartment floor is water damaged. I took it to an RV shop because I could not find the leak. I asked for them to find the leak and how much it would be to repair. They ran all sorts of tests and could not find the leak and for a repair they would just seal it and put new wood over the other floor. Do you guys have any ideas? If putting new wood over the floor is the most cost effective how would I go about doing that? seal it? Any advice is appreciated.
10 REPLIES 10

GATJcampers
Explorer
Explorer

This is the main wet spot.

GATJcampers
Explorer
Explorer
There is a window above storage compartment but the soft spot is forward of the window by about a foot. wouldn't the leak be straight below? The soft spot is only a small area 1' X 1'. The other soft spot is on the other side of the compartment also under a window. Best way to test if it's the windows?

PastorCharlie
Explorer
Explorer
The entire floor or a certain location on the floor. The leak is near the rot. Is there a window, vent, outside opening, missing screw on exterior, wheel well, utility through wall, water pipe, water storage, etc. near the leak?

GATJcampers
Explorer
Explorer
The wood is rotted I can push through with my hand if I pushed hard enough so there is a leak

bid_time
Explorer
Explorer
Bmach wrote:
It also could just be delamination and not rot.
Absolutely true depending on what type of floor you have. Little premature to diagnose wood rot with no signs of leakage.

jplante4
Explorer
Explorer
Go here and pick Testing Locations to find a place near you.
Jerry & Jeanne
1996 Safari Sahara 3530 - 'White Tiger'
CAT 3126/Allison 6 speed/Magnum Chassis
2014 Equinox AWD / Blue Ox

Bmach
Explorer II
Explorer II
It also could just be delamination and not rot.

donn0128
Explorer
Explorer
Find a dealer that can do a SealTest, and pay their price. Once its sealed up, carefully cut out the bad wood, likely particle board or OSB. Remove the wet insulation, replace with dry, lay new patch in place. Be sure to cut back to floor joists so you have some strength. You can always sister a new piece of wood if you find joist damage.

77rollalong
Explorer
Explorer
if its wood rot , its caused by a fungus so putting new wood over old rot does not work, as the previous post, have to find the leak, fix it then replace wood
been throught all that with our motor home

midnightsadie
Explorer II
Explorer II
they should have pressure tested for leaks,, you have to remove the old wet wood, DON,T go back to that dealer. call a mobil tech in your area ,he,ll fix it .don,t put new wood down till the leak is fixed,