cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Air conditioning and generator

Jerry1943
Explorer
Explorer
I have a 2016 Lance model 1985 with a Coleman air conditioner. I am wondering what the btu’s are?

I have a champion generator. It puts out 3500 watts running 4000 start up. How big of an air conditioner will it power?
12 REPLIES 12

Clockman
Explorer
Explorer
That Size Lance probably Came with a 9k BTU from the factory... I upgraded mine to 13.5K as where I camp can easily see triple Digits.. That why I bought a Champion 2800/3100 Inverter Generator.. It ran for 5 days straight, 12 hours a day in tems well above 100 degrees...Didn't let me down!

SoundGuy
Explorer
Explorer
Tvov wrote:
We ran our 13.5 A/C with a Honda EU2000 last year with no problems.

Speaking of elevation, I think it was about 75 feet above sea level.

Which is why it worked. Go up in elevation several thousand feet and/or increase ambient temps beyond the mid 80s and an EU2000 just won't be able to handle the A/C compressor's initial current surge. Equip your A/C with a Micro Air Easy Start Soft Starter Kit and replace your EU2000i with a new EU2200i and your chances of successfully starting your A/C each and every time at higher elevations and hotter ambient temperatures will be much improved.
2012 Silverado 1500 Crew Cab
2014 Coachmen Freedom Express 192RBS
2003 Fleetwood Yuma * 2008 K-Z Spree 240BH-LX
2007 TrailCruiser C21RBH * 2000 Fleetwood Santa Fe
1998 Jayco 10UD * 1969 Coleman CT380

Tvov
Explorer
Explorer
We ran our 13.5 A/C with a Honda EU2000 last year with no problems. As others have said, we didn't run anything else.

One thing to keep in mind with "camping" generators is many of them have an "economy", "eco", or low idle switch. When less power is needed (just lights or battery charging) they down throttle to save fuel and run VERY quietly. If you are going to run A/C, the gen may not idle up fast enough for the A/C and things may shut down.

Turn off the "eco" switch so the gen runs at full throttle before you turn on the A/C.

This worked for us. Speaking of elevation, I think it was about 75 feet above sea level.

Huntindog
Explorer
Explorer
deltabravo wrote:
Jerry1943 wrote:
I have a champion generator. It puts out 3500 watts running 4000 start up. How big of an air conditioner will it power?

People run 13.5's on Honda 2000 gens.

Ummmm. Not most people. and not reliably.

I was at a dog trial once, that got really hot. The little Hondas are a favorite among that crowd. (For good reason and my favorite as well) As the temps went up, the little Hondas stopped working for camper after camper. They all said the same thing. " It worked fine when I tested it at home," Out of over 20 RVs, my TT was the only one with working AC. I had 4000 watts. A lot of those people showed up at the next event with two Hondas.

Elevation was 5000 ft, and the temps got up into triple digits.

Yes there are a few tricks one can use, that can help a small generator, but in the end, it is a simple math problem. You need a certain amount of watts to run an AC in demanding conditions.... Those conditions will rarely show up in your driveway during a test. When it fails to work in the field is when you will want AC the most.

OP: The Champion will work just fine. I have tested one at over 7000 ft and 95 degrees. It ran my 15K AC just fine.
Huntindog
100% boondocking
2021 Grand Design Momentum 398M
2 bathrooms, no waiting
104 gal grey, 104 black,158 fresh
FullBodyPaint, 3,8Kaxles, DiscBrakes
17.5LRH commercial tires
1860watts solar,800 AH Battleborn batterys
2020 Silverado HighCountry CC DA 4X4 DRW

deltabravo
Nomad
Nomad
Jerry1943 wrote:

It shouldn't have any problem running a 13.5k BTU A/C

People run 13.5's on Honda 2000 gens.
2009 Silverado 3500HD Dually, D/A, CCLB 4x4 (bought new 8/30/09)
2018 Arctic Fox 992 with an Onan 2500i "quiet" model generator

2oldman
Explorer
Explorer
You may never have to worry about it. Many people ask this question, few ever actually do run air.
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman

deltabravo
Nomad
Nomad
Jerry1943 wrote:
I have a 2016 Lance model 1985 with a Coleman air conditioner. I am wondering what the btu’s are?

Check the build sheet (options sheet / window sticker).
If you don't have it, call the factory and give them the VIN and they should have records on what you RV has.

I could be way off base though, because maybe Lance uses 13.5k BTU on all TTs.

My RV experience has been only with Northwood Mfg... they use difference sizes depending on the model. Their build sheet shows what size A/C the unit shipped with.
2009 Silverado 3500HD Dually, D/A, CCLB 4x4 (bought new 8/30/09)
2018 Arctic Fox 992 with an Onan 2500i "quiet" model generator

Colo_Native
Explorer
Explorer
I have a Champion 3500 and I can power 1 15K AC but I turn the AC off to run other loads while its on. I haven't tried to run much ac power things with the AC running.
2015 Winnebago Forza 34T
pushed by a 2011 Fusion Hybrid or 2020 Escape Hybrid
Retired DFD

dom101
Explorer
Explorer
I used to run a 12,000 btu ac on a 1500 watt generator, Its all about how you start air cond. I would turn temp knob to warm so compressor did not cut in, then start fan, then turn knob to cold so your not getting all the load at one time And if you can always install a hard start kit

Empty_Nest__Soo
Explorer
Explorer
I have the same generator (Champion 3500/4000) that I use when power is off at the stick house and I need to power essentials such as the basement sump pumps or the chest freezer until line power is restored.

In the past, I’ve exercised the Champion by hooking the shore power cord from the motorhome to the 30-amp plug on the Champion and turning on the A/C. I’ve been able to power both (2) roof A/Cs with no other loads on the Champion. I started the A/Cs one at a time.

I’ve not tried powering anything more at the same time, as I never plan to use the Champion camping (since I have a built-in generator, plus a Yamaha 1000-watt that I use for charging batteries off-grid.)

I'm confident that you will have no problem running the A/C and a few other things concurrently with the 3500/4000.

Wayne
Wayne & Michelle

1997 Safari Sahara 3540

CincyGus
Explorer II
Explorer II
Biggyniner wrote:
That should power a 13.5k btu AC no problem... Even a 15k btu if you don't have any other major loads.

I upgraded the AC on my Minnie Winnie to a 15k btu one and I have run my roof air, fridge and microwave all at the same time with no issue. I have a 3000 Watt Onan genset.

Agreed. As long as your not running multiple items at the same time that are high amp draws (Microwave, coffee pot, hair dryer or curling iron, toaster) and the AC, you'll be fine. If you need to run multiples, kick the AC off for a few minutes while your thawing the chili in the micro and your lady/daughter are using the hair dryer and then kick back on when their done.

I use a percolator for coffee on the gas stove and cook outside generally so we seldom trip a breaker. Occasionally if she is using an electric skillet and powers up the microwave and then starts making the toast, we'll kick a breaker. She's bad at math and doesn't seem to remember, 2 items max from the above list all the time 😉
2015 GMC 2500 Denali Crewcab 4x4
2019 Forest River Wolfpack 23pack15

Hope your travels are safe and the friendships made camping are lasting.

Biggyniner
Explorer
Explorer
That should power a 13.5k btu AC no problem... Even a 15k btu if you don't have any other major loads.

I upgraded the AC on my Minnie Winnie to a 15k btu one and I have run my roof air, fridge and microwave all at the same time with no issue. I have a 3000 Watt Onan genset.
Chris (KD7WZW)
2003 Tiffin Allegro Bus M-32IP