cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Wiring TC for Shore power

biggjb
Explorer
Explorer
I have an older 99 Fleetwood Elkhorn which had a generator installed, however, the previous owner removed the generator and wired the it for a second battery. However, he did not remove any of the wiring associated with the generator. I replaced the old Magnetek converter with a PD4600. the installation went very easy but it will not charge my batteries and several people have indicated there is something between the shore power and the batteries which is causing the problem. As I have no intention to put a generator onboard I would like to pull the wiring associated with the generator out and rewire the shore power directly to the converter. My number one concern is the Automatic Transfer Switch. As it is used primarily to switch power going to converter when the generator is used, will removing it cause any problems and do I need any special isolators or fuses in place between shore power and the converter? thanks for any advice you can give me.
2 REPLIES 2

biggjb
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks wnjj. I have done some more research and my plan is now is to remove the ATC and in it's place put a 30A EMS from Progressive Industries. From there is was going to put in a 30A breaker and then wire directly to converter. In my previous RV I had a power surge and it cost me close to $3000 to get it repaired. I don't want that to happen to me again.

wnjj
Explorer II
Explorer II
Removing it is fine and you can wire but the incoming power to the wires headed to the load center (breaker panel). Be sure any splices are inside a box.

The converter itself shouldn’t be connected to shore power but to a breaker in the load center. Make sure you’ve cycled all of them off and back on before ripping out the transfer switch.