Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Tow Vehicles: F150 dual exhaust
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tow Vehicles

Open Roads Forum  >  Tow Vehicles

> F150 dual exhaust

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next
patperry2766

Saginaw Texas

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/07/19 04:38pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Have a `13 F150 5.0.

Considering a medium sounding cat back dual exhaust because I don't want there to be significant constant droning in the cab of the truck, especially to the point that I never hear the end of it from my wife.

Also, I have seen a few comments from years back that some regretted having straight back exhaust exiting underneath the bumpers because there was significant echoing and reverberation when towing from the sound bouncing off the camper. Seems like that could make sense and be a real possibility.

FYI, I'm 53 and live in a neighborhood. Don't want to be "that neighbor" that wakes everybody up in the morning but want something with a little bit more beefy sound.

Any comments on the droning and reverberation would be appreciated.

Courage is the feeling you have right before you fully understand the situation

Terryallan

Foothills NC

View Profile

Posted: 02/07/19 05:03pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

patperry2766 wrote:

Have a `13 F150 5.0.

Considering a medium sounding cat back dual exhaust because I don't want there to be significant constant droning in the cab of the truck, especially to the point that I never hear the end of it from my wife.

Also, I have seen a few comments from years back that some regretted having straight back exhaust exiting underneath the bumpers because there was significant echoing and reverberation when towing from the sound bouncing off the camper. Seems like that could make sense and be a real possibility.

FYI, I'm 53 and live in a neighborhood. Don't want to be "that neighbor" that wakes everybody up in the morning but want something with a little bit more beefy sound.

Any comments on the droning and reverberation would be appreciated.

Cat backs are expensive, and in truth don't add much HP, as they once did. They do sound OK. However as mentioned. Do NOT run them out the back. Run them out the side. the echo is horrible.

Just so you will know. the 5.0 sounds pretty good just like it is. Especially under power, like when passing, or towing. . The Coyote in mine sounds great. Hard to keep my foot out of it.

Terry & Shay
Coachman Apex 288BH.
2013 F150 XLT Off Road
5.0, 3.73
Lazy Campers

ScottG

Bothell Wa.

View Profile

Posted: 02/07/19 05:23pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

It's hard to feel anything under about 30~50 HP and the cat back isn't going to make anything like that.
I would save my money.

Scott, Grace and Wesly
2003 Dodge 3500 4x4, 6 speed Cummins.
2018 Silver Fox 32A.
H0NDA eu2000i

donn0128

Pronounced Ore-gun

View Profile

Posted: 02/07/19 05:32pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Remember gasoline motors are nothing more thwt large air pumps. Making room for more air out will do nothing unless you get more air in. If you want noise, change the muffler.

Gdub2

TN

View Profile

Posted: 02/07/19 05:45pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

When I had my cat back exhaust installed the mechanic asked do you want to hear
a loud exhaust and loud droneing noise go with Flowmaster system or something
quite and preforms better go with Magna Flow. I choose the Magna Flow. Exhaust
is extremely quite untill you get on it then it sounds great. At idle and
highway speeds it's very quiet even when I tow my TT. Didn't want to hear a
loud exhaust and the constant droneing noise. Gald I choose the Magna Flow
system. Also have cold air induction and a tuner program.

ppine

Northern Nevada

View Profile

Posted: 02/07/19 05:59pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Not all after market exhaust systems are loud. I put a 4 inch on my Ford diesel and it paid for itself. It is not much different that stock unles I romp on it.
Many exhaust systems will have some description of how loud they are.

LanceRKeys

Amarillo, TX

View Profile

Posted: 02/07/19 05:59pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Had a dual exhaust system on my dodge 360v8 it sounded great. Combined with a standard transmission it was really nice to hear it rumble or really sing if I was getting on it. The fun ended after about half an hour of pulling my fifth wheel down the highway. Mine were cut out the side between the rear tire and bumper. If I could go back and do it all over again the only thing I would change is to put 4.10 or 4.30 rear in it so it would pull a little better. Do it, you only live once and you can always put it back if you wan to.

twodownzero

NM

View Profile

Posted: 02/07/19 06:56pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Be very careful about what muffler you use. I put an exhaust on my truck and nothing I could do would quiet it down, so I took it off and sold it. It did sound good empty, but with a load on, it was too noisy for me.

And this is coming from a guy who has had some exhaust systems that could wake the dead. I love the sound; I just can't have too much of it when I have 10k pounds behind me.

* This post was edited 02/07/19 08:52pm by twodownzero *

JIMNLIN

Oklahoma

View Profile

Posted: 02/08/19 08:29am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Flowmaster makes all types of mufflers for a given engine. clicky link
If you want noise go with one of their hi-performance straight through or single or two chamber noise makers. Flowmaster has them.
If you want OEM quiet go with one of Flowmasters 3 chamber systems.
I used the three chamber 70 series on a 5.7 2500 chevy 4.10 gears for a nice quiet OEM sound....no drone in the cab. I wasn't after any better mpg but it did help smooth out a bit of rough idle and helped lower engine temps while towing (same loads on the same roads).

Magnaflow also has different type mufflers depending how much noise you want ..... or don't want.
Don't depend on a mechanic or pick the guy next doors story about mufflers.
Go to the source which is the muffler mfg and ask them what muffler you need for noise or quiet.

"good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment" ............ Will Rogers

'03 2500 QC Dodge/Cummins HO 3.73 6 speed manual Jacobs Westach
'97 Park Avanue 28' 5er 11200 two slides

TurnThePage

North ID

View Profile

Posted: 02/08/19 08:38am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Just for reference, my Ram with the 5.7 hemi has the factory dual exhaust. It has a nice note, and there is no discernable echo when towing. I enjoy it immensely. I hated towing with my last F150 with the dual exhaust. It got old real fast. Maybe a 5.0 Mustang muffler?

2015 Ram 1500
2004 Pioneer 18T6

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Tow Vehicles

> F150 dual exhaust
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tow Vehicles

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.