cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What good is a 56 f100.

4x4ord
Explorer III
Explorer III
I came across an opportunity to buy an all original 1956 f100. The present owner has owned the truck since 1957. It has seldom been stored outside and still runs very well. It was used as a farm truck during it's early years and has never had any body work done to it... so it's got a few minor bumps and bruises. If I put money into it I'll want independent front and rear suspension, AC, 300 or so ponies under the hood... I'll want to do things right. In a way it seems a shame to hot rod an all original truck. I really don't know much about the cost of taking on a project like this but my guess is that if I hire out the work I'll end up dumping 70k into this truck by the time I'm done. Anybody with some knowledge on the subject want to share some pointers?
2023 F350 SRW Platinum short box 4x4.
B&W Companion
2008 Citation Platinum XL 34.5
46 REPLIES 46

camperdave
Explorer
Explorer
Bird Freak wrote:
I was going to build a shop truck and got a little carried away.

Ah yes... familiar with that concept lol.

I like old cars and trucks. Stock is cool. hacked and abused is cool. Top dollar modern builds are cool. Do what you like, it's not for anyone else but yourself.
2004 Fleetwood Tioga 29v

hornet28
Explorer
Explorer
^^^^:W

NRALIFR
Explorer
Explorer
I have the same answer for the “leave ‘em stock” guys that I do for the people who try to tell me I can’t cut my trees down.

:):)
2001 Lance 1121 on a 2016 F450 ‘Scuse me while I whinge.
And for all you Scooby-Doo and Yosemite Sam types………..Let’s Go Brandon!!!

hornet28
Explorer
Explorer
dodge guy wrote:
hornet28 wrote:
Why do so many haters think a rod or custom should be started using a piece of junk? The guy who help me build my cpe was fond of telling people we took about a teacup full of rust out of it

As has been said, they are only original once! If your going to chop one up and replace 70% of the sheet metal anyway you should just cut up a rust bucket!

You don't replace 70% of the metal with a good body. That's what you do with the rust bucket. You say they are only original once and that's correct. But using that logic a restored or even just repainted one really isn't original either nor is one with updated drivetrain but completely stock body

Big_Katuna
Explorer II
Explorer II
Anybody watch Bad Chad on Discovery channel?

That’s saving rust.

Cooler than Dangit!
My Kharma ran over my Dogma.

dodge_guy
Explorer
Explorer
hornet28 wrote:
Why do so many haters think a rod or custom should be started using a piece of junk? The guy who help me build my cpe was fond of telling people we took about a teacup full of rust out of it

As has been said, they are only original once! If your going to chop one up and replace 70% of the sheet metal anyway you should just cut up a rust bucket!
Wife Kim
Son Brandon 17yrs
Daughter Marissa 16yrs
Dog Bailey

12 Forest River Georgetown 350TS Hellwig sway bars, BlueOx TrueCenter stabilizer

13 Ford Explorer Roadmaster Stowmaster 5000, VIP Tow>
A bad day camping is
better than a good day at work!

wilber1
Explorer
Explorer
Older trucks are the easier to restore if you can find parts. Bare bones interiors with not much upholstery and hardly any chrome.
"Never trust a man who has not a single redeeming vice" WSC

2011 RAM 3500 SRW
2015 Grand Design Reflection 303RLS

Bird_Freak
Explorer II
Explorer II
hornet28 wrote:

Nice ride!
Eddie
03 Fleetwood Pride, 36-5L
04 Ford F-250 Superduty
15K Pullrite Superglide
Old coach 04 Pace Arrow 37C with brakes sometimes.
Owner- The Toy Shop-
Auto Restoration and Customs 32 years. Retired by a stroke!
We love 56 T-Birds

Big_Katuna
Explorer II
Explorer II
I’m not a hater nor do I think you should start with piece of junk.

What I and a few others mean that if a car is in good to very good condition, esp with factory paint leave it stock. There are so few survivors around. They’re only stock once.

More and more Concours shows have added Preservation classes. Car collectors are paying more for clean original cars than perfectly restored cars.

If your intent is to do a lot of custom work on a car, start with one that has already been painted or already rodded.
My Kharma ran over my Dogma.

hornet28
Explorer
Explorer

patperry2766
Explorer
Explorer
4x4ord wrote:
Thanks for the posts. That Belair is a beauty. The truck isn't advertised but I think the guy would be happy getting $2000 for it. Would that be a fair offer? I'll likely park it in the corner of a building for the next 5 years. It may make a fun retirement project. The problem is I hate the thought of spending more building it than what it would be worth to sell. I guess that's just the way it goes with hobbies.

From a financial point of view, many could argue the same about camping. $50K+ for a truck to pull a $50K+ RV to spend a few nights a year away from home. Realistically, the money a RV costs would buy a lot of nights in a motel. We choose to spend the money on a hobby or passion that we choose that brings us joy, pleasure and happiness...not necessarily what will bring us the greatest financial return on the money we invest in our hobbies.

I'd much rather be overpaying to have the opportunity to camp in places such as Yellowstone, Glacier and the mountains anywhere versus getting a motel room close to the action and take a chance of sleeping in someone else's filth.
Courage is the feeling you have right before you fully understand the situation

patperry2766
Explorer
Explorer
For 2K, that's a no brainer. Buy it and sit on it. At that price you will NEVER loose a single dime and you might never be presented with the same opportunity again.

If the body/interior aren't in bad shape and has some good character and patina to it, you could probably do a power train upgrade and everything to make it a safe, reliable daily driver for probably around $10-15K, or less if you can do a
lot of the work yourself.

Something to think about. Years ago when I was in high school, I was in a vocational auto mechanics class. We always needed cars to work on for experience and a lot of the teachers would have us work on the car and it basically just cost them the money for parts. You might want to see if a program like that exists at the high school or junior college level anywhere near where you live.

Since you've got a few years till it becomes a retirement project, you can always start buying the parts now and amassing them. That way, it won't take such a big bite financially all at once.
Courage is the feeling you have right before you fully understand the situation

Bird_Freak
Explorer II
Explorer II
ACZL wrote:
BirdFreak,

OMG !!!! That is BEAUTIFUL !!!!!
Thank you.
Eddie
03 Fleetwood Pride, 36-5L
04 Ford F-250 Superduty
15K Pullrite Superglide
Old coach 04 Pace Arrow 37C with brakes sometimes.
Owner- The Toy Shop-
Auto Restoration and Customs 32 years. Retired by a stroke!
We love 56 T-Birds

ACZL
Explorer
Explorer
BirdFreak,

OMG !!!! That is BEAUTIFUL !!!!!
2017 F350 DRW XLT, CC, 4x4, 6.7
2018 Big Country 3560 SS
"The best part of RVing and Snowmobiling is spending time with family and friends"
"Catin' in the Winter"