cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

More smoked cheese

Super_Dave
Explorer
Explorer
With morning temperatures at a balmy 16 degrees it seemed like a perfect morning for a cheese smoke, plus, my stash is getting low. 10 pounds of medium cheddar and 4 pounds of Swiss.

Truck: 2006 Dodge 3500 Dually
Rig: 2018 Big Country 3155 RLK
Boat: 21' North River Seahawk
22 REPLIES 22

garmp
Explorer II
Explorer II
That's why I asked earlier what to do with the left over bourbon. In my case I also smoked some peanuts and throughout the smoking process I would sprinkle the bourbon over the peanuts.
I also cut my cheese into cubes about 1" x 1" x 2-2 1/2" cubes and place in a zip lock bag and every 5 minutes or so turn to ensure all the cheese was covered.
Hope this helps.
Our 2351D Phoenix Cruiser, Jack, has turned us from campers into RVers and loving it!

dhansen871
Explorer
Explorer
Do you completely cover the cheese with the Whiskey? That’s a lot of whiskey ?? to cover one of those blocks of cheese, but what the hell, if it tastes great. It the best of two worlds.
Dave & DW Jodi
Max the Cat (RIP)
SoCal Mountains and Las Vegas

2007 Country Coach 430 Allure
2012 Jeep GC Overland

magnusfide
Explorer II
Explorer II
garmp wrote:
I just used my cheap cooking bourbon, Ten High. But it did the job. Do have some Amaretto sitting around and might try that next time.

Honeyed whiskey works well too.
"The only time you should fear cast iron is if your wife is fixin' to hit you with it."-Kent Rollins
First law of science: don't spit into the wind.

Magnus

garmp
Explorer II
Explorer II
I just used my cheap cooking bourbon, Ten High. But it did the job. Do have some Amaretto sitting around and might try that next time.
Our 2351D Phoenix Cruiser, Jack, has turned us from campers into RVers and loving it!

magnusfide
Explorer II
Explorer II
garmp wrote:
The bourbon marinated cheese was a huge success and very tasty to boot. I took some to our local Elks Lodge for the working, meal volunteers to try and everyone loved it.
We serve, once a month an all you can eat fish fry of Pollock, Catfish, & Cod dinner for the general public.
The smoked cheese & some cod I also smoked were for the workers only, but much appreciated and thoroughly enjoyed.
Now I have orders for the next dinner, to soak the cheese a bit longer and make more cod.
Keep the bourbon recipes coming. These folks will try anything involving bourbon.

Glad to hear it’s a hit. Which bourbon did you use?
We tried one in brandy yesterday. Great stuff!
"The only time you should fear cast iron is if your wife is fixin' to hit you with it."-Kent Rollins

Magnus

garmp
Explorer II
Explorer II
The bourbon marinated cheese was a huge success and very tasty to boot. I took some to our local Elks Lodge for the working, meal volunteers to try and everyone loved it.
We serve, once a month an all you can eat fish fry of Pollock, Catfish, & Cod dinner for the general public.
The smoked cheese & some cod I also smoked were for the workers only, but much appreciated and thoroughly enjoyed.
Now I have orders for the next dinner, to soak the cheese a bit longer and make more cod.
Keep the bourbon recipes coming. These folks will try anything involving bourbon.

Big_Katuna
Explorer II
Explorer II
My DW makes a plum jam, Bourbon BBQ sauce with some cayenne in it that is quite good.
My Kharma ran over my Dogma.

Super_Dave
Explorer
Explorer
Saw a good looking bourbon BBQ sauce recipe too.

magnusfide
Explorer II
Explorer II
Super_Dave wrote:
I would feel better making a bourbon sauce for bread pudding or ice cream than drinking it after the cheese soak.

What Super Dave said. You could always blend the bourbon with a tsp of real butter or a tablespoon of honey.

Good luck with your smoking. Keep us posted on how you like it.

Magnus

Super_Dave
Explorer
Explorer
I would feel better making a bourbon sauce for bread pudding or ice cream than drinking it after the cheese soak.

garmp
Explorer II
Explorer II
Bought some good white cheddar today to smoke tomorrow along with some peanuts. Will lightly coat the peanuts with a 50/50 mix of Worcestershire & water. Will marinate the cheese for 15 minutes in a decent bourbon. What do I do with the bourbon after the cheese is marinated? Would there be too much residue to pour over ice and then... well, use?

magnusfide
Explorer II
Explorer II
garmp wrote:
Holy Cow!!! magnus, you did it again. Jim Beam marinate. Gotta try that!
I have a couple of Amazen tubes I use, but my preferred method is a soup can with holes along one side, 20 or so, a hinged open end with a cheap pencil soldering iron from Harbor Freight. Fill the can with Alder chips, insert the soldering iron and let it smoke for about and hour or so. I generally refill the can, or in my case, use a second can full of chips and continue to cold smoke, depending on the amount of cheese.
Marinade! WOW!!

The can idea is great. Marinated cheese can be done with your favorite liqueur too.

Magnus

garmp
Explorer II
Explorer II
Holy Cow!!! magnus, you did it again. Jim Beam marinate. Gotta try that!
I have a couple of Amazen tubes I use, but my preferred method is a soup can with holes along one side, 20 or so, a hinged open end with a cheap pencil soldering iron from Harbor Freight. Fill the can with Alder chips, insert the soldering iron and let it smoke for about and hour or so. I generally refill the can, or in my case, use a second can full of chips and continue to cold smoke, depending on the amount of cheese.
Marinade! WOW!!

magnusfide
Explorer II
Explorer II
Super_Dave wrote:

I use an Amazen tube with no other heat. You don’t want your box temp to get over about 80 degrees. Before I bought my tube, I use to put pans filled with ice under the rack of cheese. My smoke time is 3 hours and my rest time is usually a minimum of 10 days.
I have a 12" Amazen tube that works great for us. I've used it with my grill box (no heat) to make smoked cheese and it works well. You're our inspiration for the smoked cheese gambit, Dave. :C

I've been getting white cheddar and marinating it in Jim Beam bourbon for 15 minutes before serving. Comes out nice. It might be good on smoked cheese too. I'll have to try that.

Magnus