cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Direct TV Genie System

dapperdan
Explorer
Explorer
We were having issues with one of our older boxes and reception troubles. I had a Direct TV tech out this morning to check things out, our dish was out of alignment (a "tad"), they also replaced the LNB. We were "sold" new Genies........ The tech and Direct persuaded us to up-grade.

My question is can we take the Genie with us and use it in the RV? If I understand this system correctly, we can with the main box, NOT with the "little" box in the bedroom. Is that correct? We only have 2 boxes. This system is all new to us, we're used to the older style remote, the new ones are half the size. A little challenging getting used to the "new" stuff. :B

These new boxes are smoking fast compared to the old ones!

Thanks

Dan
26 REPLIES 26

ROFCIBC
Explorer
Explorer
Bigbird65 wrote:

One thing that would have solved the problem you mentioned where you need to leave the DirecTV receiver home would be to use a MHL Micro USB to HDMI converter. I use this when we are on the road and I don't want to take the time to set up the satellite system because we are just doing a quicky night time stop over.

I looked into that, but to be honest I can set up the satelite in a minute or two (good 'ol manual antenna) so the best was for me was to have a receiver in the rollin' condo all the time and pay the $7 a month, even for the 1 or 2 months out of the year I wasn't using it.
2005 Dutch Star DSP 4023
Thank you, Mr. Newmar
Mr. Spartan
Mr. Cummins &
Mr. Allison

ROFCIBC
Explorer
Explorer
Bill.Satellite wrote:
In the "old days" locals were not spot beamed. I could pick up my Orlando locals everywhere in the US. Yours is a special case (not unique, just special) where you need programming at home and in the RV at the same time. Those had have to deal with these kinds of issues have to take very different steps to get the services they like in 2 locations simultaneously.

In the "old days" of 1994 there were NO local stations on DirecTV. Don't remember exactly when they were added. I put DirecTV on my Vogue Cosmopolitan in '98, and when locals did show up, the LDN package from DirecTV did too. Had to send them a copy of your RV registration and some other stuff to get it authorized. I did and have used it ever since, not only in my rollin' condo, but my garage and home, all three of which are on the same account.
2005 Dutch Star DSP 4023
Thank you, Mr. Newmar
Mr. Spartan
Mr. Cummins &
Mr. Allison

Bigbird65
Explorer
Explorer
ROFCIBC wrote:
If I put the Genie out of the house when I go on the road, then my wife who may not be with me (like a NASCAR race) she won't be too happy about not having any TV. Plus to remove it is a pain in the wazoo, thanks to the way I installed it with all the other electronic stuff.

One thing that would have solved the problem you mentioned where you need to leave the DirecTV receiver home would be to use a MHL Micro USB to HDMI converter. I use this when we are on the road and I don't want to take the time to set up the satellite system because we are just doing a quicky night time stop over. I use the DirecTV app on my Samsung GS5 cell phone. Your phone must have MHL output. I get all of the DirecTV channels in my plan. It really works good. It does not use any minutes in your monthly AT&T phone plan. Here is a photo of it in operation.

2017 RAM 1500 Quad Cab 5.7L Hemi, 8 speed 3.21
2018 Winnebago Minnie 2250DS

Bill_Satellite
Explorer II
Explorer II
In the "old days" locals were not spot beamed. I could pick up my Orlando locals everywhere in the US. Yours is a special case (not unique, just special) where you need programming at home and in the RV at the same time. Those had have to deal with these kinds of issues have to take very different steps to get the services they like in 2 locations simultaneously.
What I post is my 2 cents and nothing more. Please don't read anything into my post that's not there. If you disagree, that's OK.
Can't we all just get along?

ROFCIBC
Explorer
Explorer
I just noticed something.....looking at the day I joined this forum was the exact day we brought the rollin' condo home. Coming up on 14 years and 154,000+ miles.
2005 Dutch Star DSP 4023
Thank you, Mr. Newmar
Mr. Spartan
Mr. Cummins &
Mr. Allison

ROFCIBC
Explorer
Explorer
If I put the Genie out of the house when I go on the road, then my wife who may not be with me (like a NASCAR race) she won't be too happy about not having any TV. Plus to remove it is a pain in the wazoo, thanks to the way I installed it with all the other electronic stuff.

I used to do a "move the receiver" from the garage to the RV, but long ago figured for $7 I can just put a receiver in the rollin' condo and leave it there. (use it 11 months out of the year anyhow) Also there is the issue of for each TV on the Genie system you need a "mini Genie" and currently DirecTV is getting $10 a month for each one. So yes, I can avoid a "second account" but it's a pain in the wazoo to do it.

"LDN" is what "DNS" was called back in the 90s when it came out, and it is no longer available, since DirecTV started carrying local networks, something they did not do in 1994 when I got my first DirecTV receiver. From what I understand now you can get local networks when you are in your RV and out of your local area. Don't know how that works as I don't use it. In my house the networks (ABC, NBC, CBS, FOX) on my Genie system are the same 8 channels as when I am "on the road". There are two feeds for each network (hence 8 channels) 4 from New York, 4 from Los Angeles. If I want the "locals" where I live, I just get them over the air. (just put a new Winegard Razar antenna in place of the old crank up one....really works great)

What I just described since I have the "old" LDS package is how I get local networks no matter where I am, but without the "separate account" you mentioned.

I am reluctant to change my regular package as it too is a "grandfathered" and is lot cheaper for all the channels I get than the current ones offered. Seem to remember it was discontinued about 15 years ago.

Note about my garage...the receiver (R22-100) I had was the only one DirecTV made that was both SD and HD capable. All I had to do was swap the round antenna for a slimline and presto! HD in the garage, aka "Man Cave (47x54 detached, built to hold the rollin' condo with 14 feet left over!)

I've decided to "hold off" on changing the rollin' condo SD system until April when supposedly the SD goes away. Heard all manner of conversations on line as well as from DirecTV and some suppliers like Winegard and Solid Signal as to "when exactly" the "death of SD" is actually going to happen. Who knows, it may have been a "marketing ploy" by DirecTV to get subscribers to upgrade to HD.....with AT&T in charge, it's a distinct possibility!
2005 Dutch Star DSP 4023
Thank you, Mr. Newmar
Mr. Spartan
Mr. Cummins &
Mr. Allison

Bill_Satellite
Explorer II
Explorer II
ROFCIBC wrote:
Thought about that a long time ago. Neither the wife nor I care if we have HD in the rollin' condo, and wasn't ready to spend the $1500 for a trav'ler. Had the old round manual antenna that took a couple of minutes to have it up and running. Going to wait until DirecTV "pulls the plug" to see exactly what happens with my SD....for all I know, I'll still get the package I've had since '94, plus the LDN in lieu of local networks.

Plus what DirecTV is telling me, if I want a whole home, I have to basically get a separate account for the rollin' condo, which means no LDW, and gawd knows which package.

Went down the road with them with my garage. All they would do is give me a mini Genie, which was worthless since the garage is too far from the house. I told them that and they sent a tech out to discover what I already had, then charged (or tried to) me for a "on site technician visit" (49 bucks I think). I told them to come get all the DirecTV stuff, by the next day or it was going to be in the dumptser and I'd go with Dish. They got the idea and backed off the "service charge".....

To be honest ever since AT&T bought out DirecTV the service has gone to **** in a hand basket....

Yep, lots of bad information out there. If you did take the Genie route you don't need a 2nd account you just move the receiver from home to RV. I am not sure what you are referring to when you post "LDN" but I suspect you mean DNS (Distant Networks vs. Local Networks). If you want DNS in the RV while still maintaining local Networks at your home then you would need 2 separate accounts.
What I post is my 2 cents and nothing more. Please don't read anything into my post that's not there. If you disagree, that's OK.

ROFCIBC
Explorer
Explorer
Thought about that a long time ago. Neither the wife nor I care if we have HD in the rollin' condo, and wasn't ready to spend the $1500 for a trav'ler. Had the old round manual antenna that took a couple of minutes to have it up and running. Going to wait until DirecTV "pulls the plug" to see exactly what happens with my SD....for all I know, I'll still get the package I've had since '94, plus the LDN in lieu of local networks.

Plus what DirecTV is telling me, if I want a whole home, I have to basically get a separate account for the rollin' condo, which means no LDW, and gawd knows which package.

Went down the road with them with my garage. All they would do is give me a mini Genie, which was worthless since the garage is too far from the house. I told them that and they sent a tech out to discover what I already had, then charged (or tried to) me for a "on site technician visit" (49 bucks I think). I told them to come get all the DirecTV stuff, by the next day or it was going to be in the dumptser and I'd go with Dish. They got the idea and backed off the "service charge".....

To be honest ever since AT&T bought out DirecTV the service has gone to **** in a hand basket....
2005 Dutch Star DSP 4023
Thank you, Mr. Newmar
Mr. Spartan
Mr. Cummins &
Mr. Allison

Bill_Satellite
Explorer II
Explorer II
I have a Trav'ler, a Genie, a client, Whole Home and no internet connection.
You might want to relook your options, the Genie is awesome!

ROFCIBC
Explorer
Explorer
As a DirecTV user from '94, I've seen and heard just about everything from their tech support.

Right now my issue is going to be having to put a HD antenna and receiver in my RV.

But as for the Genie system. I have a whole house Genie system It had a HR44-500 receiver and a WVBRO-25 Wireless Video Bridge, which does NOT in any way, shape, nor form have a connection to the internet. Hard wire of WiFi. I have AT&T UVerse and it does broadcast a WiFi signal but WVBRO-25 does not have access to it. The only purpose of the WVBRO-25 is to "broadcast" a WiFi signal to the "Wireless Genie Mini" on each TV in the house, EXCEPT the one that is connected directly to the HR44-500.

With all the contact & research I've done regarding my RV, as well as converting my detached garage to HD (signal from the Whole House System will not reach) I have figured out that the "newwest" Genie system (what ever it's number is now) receivers have the "Wireless Video Bridge" built in the receiver (whatever their designation) and I was informed it did need an internet connection. May be only for specific packages, or some other special features.

I discovered this because I toyed with the idea of a "Whole Home Wireless" system in my RV and the internet connection was the show stopper.

So I'm just going with a Winegard Trav'ler, and a simple R24-500-C receiver. Downside is you can only record two channels at a time (vice 5 or 7 with Genie), but I've lived with that ever since I got my current RV (2005) and put the SD DirecTV in it.
2005 Dutch Star DSP 4023
Thank you, Mr. Newmar
Mr. Spartan
Mr. Cummins &
Mr. Allison

Shot-N-Az
Explorer
Explorer
donn0128 wrote:
Uhhh Bill the HR54 is NOT, I repeat NOT A GENIEII. The HR54 is still a GenieI just a newer model.
Like I said I have been told by Direct reps more than once that the GenieII requires a wifi connection to work. If that is wrong, then more than one Direct tech is wrong I guess. .

If I look at this sideways, I can see where the DirecTV reps could be technically correct. A wifi connection, or wireless video bridge, is required between the Genie II receiver and the wireless genie mini units. However, this bridge or wifi is integral to the Genie II receiver/server.

I also suspect the techs youโ€™ve spoken with are talking about what is needed to get full functionality, similar to what the Winegard people were telling me about my Travโ€™ler. The only people who truly understand these systems are installers and some users. The corporate call center folks know only what is on their scripts, especially since the acquisition by AT&T.

I promise you a third party wifi is not required.

Bill_Satellite
Explorer II
Explorer II
"As I understand" is one of the great catch-all's of all times. The #1 reason folks sign up for satellite TV service is because similar service via internet or DSL is not available. Making internet a requirement for the Genie II would likely cripple ATT/DTV. There ARE services that require internet but I am not aware of ANY of the standard live TV programming options that require internet service.

MrWizard
Let's keep this civil

It's obvious Wi-Fi is Not needed for general use

But is needed for Special functions

And it appears the Wi-Fi connection to internet is needed for On Demand
Because they have done away with hard wire telephone line connection that used to be used "to DIAL HOME" for this function

This is not a topic of opinion like which is the best "tire"

This is bare fact, it works or it don't
I can explain it to you.
But I Can Not understand it for you !

Connected using T-Mobile Home internet and Visible Phone service
1997 F53 Bounder 36s

donn0128
Explorer
Explorer
Uhhh Bill the HR54 is NOT, I repeat NOT A GENIEII. The HR54 is still a GenieI just a newer model.
Like I said I have been told by Direct reps more than once that the GenieII requires a wifi connection to work. If that is wrong, then more than one Direct tech is wrong I guess. .