Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Technology Corner: Direct TV Genie System
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Technology Corner

Open Roads Forum  >  Technology Corner

> Direct TV Genie System

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next
donn0128

Pronounced Ore-gun

View Profile

Posted: 02/10/19 01:32pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Shot-N-Az wrote:

donn0128 wrote:

Which Genie? If you got a HR44 or HR54 your good to go. If you got a GenieII your screwed.

I’m sitting in my motorhome watching news on my genie II as I type this. How am I screwed?

As I understand from Directv the GenieII needs a wifi connection full time. I assume you have it connected to wifi?

Shot-N-Az

Just South of DC

View Profile

Posted: 02/10/19 03:05pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I am not currently connected to wifi. I don’t know why they would say that. Wifi provides access to certain functions you cannot get without it such as on-demand, but that’s no different than other Genie generations.

Winegard told me my Trav’ler was incompatible with Genie II. What they meant was I cannot get 4K with the standard Trav’ler LNB, but otherwise, the Trav’ler works just fine with it. I don’t even need the power inserter since the Genie II receiver has it’s own PI integrated into the receiver.

Bill.Satellite

Full-timer

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/11/19 06:14am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

donn0128 wrote:

Shot-N-Az wrote:

donn0128 wrote:

Which Genie? If you got a HR44 or HR54 your good to go. If you got a GenieII your screwed.

I’m sitting in my motorhome watching news on my genie II as I type this. How am I screwed?

As I understand from Directv the GenieII needs a wifi connection full time. I assume you have it connected to wifi?

There is NO requirement for the Genie to be connect to the internet. I am using the HR54 without an internet connection for quite some time. For full access to some service you would need to connect to the internet. None of these include live TV broadcasts.

* This post was edited 02/11/19 10:50am by an administrator/moderator *

donn0128

Pronounced Ore-gun

View Profile

Posted: 02/11/19 09:12am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Uhhh Bill the HR54 is NOT, I repeat NOT A GENIEII. The HR54 is still a GenieI just a newer model.
Like I said I have been told by Direct reps more than once that the GenieII requires a wifi connection to work. If that is wrong, then more than one Direct tech is wrong I guess. .

* This post was edited 02/11/19 10:23am by an administrator/moderator *

MrWizard

Traveling

View Profile

Posted: 02/11/19 10:58am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Let's keep this civil

It's obvious Wi-Fi is Not needed for general use

But is needed for Special functions

And it appears the Wi-Fi connection to internet is needed for On Demand
Because they have done away with hard wire telephone line connection that used to be used "to DIAL HOME" for this function

This is not a topic of opinion like which is the best "tire"

This is bare fact, it works or it don't

* This post was edited 02/11/19 05:59pm by MrWizard *

Radiate The Happy

Connected using Verizon and AT&T
1997 F53 Bounder 36s

Bill.Satellite

Full-timer

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/11/19 05:57pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

"As I understand" is one of the great catch-all's of all times. The #1 reason folks sign up for satellite TV service is because similar service via internet or DSL is not available. Making internet a requirement for the Genie II would likely cripple ATT/DTV. There ARE services that require internet but I am not aware of ANY of the standard live TV programming options that require internet service.

What I post is my 2 cents and nothing more. Please don't read anything into my post that's not there. If you disagree, that's OK.
Can't we all just get along?

Shot-N-Az

Just South of DC

View Profile

Posted: 02/12/19 08:50am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

donn0128 wrote:

Uhhh Bill the HR54 is NOT, I repeat NOT A GENIEII. The HR54 is still a GenieI just a newer model.
Like I said I have been told by Direct reps more than once that the GenieII requires a wifi connection to work. If that is wrong, then more than one Direct tech is wrong I guess. .

If I look at this sideways, I can see where the DirecTV reps could be technically correct. A wifi connection, or wireless video bridge, is required between the Genie II receiver and the wireless genie mini units. However, this bridge or wifi is integral to the Genie II receiver/server.

I also suspect the techs you’ve spoken with are talking about what is needed to get full functionality, similar to what the Winegard people were telling me about my Trav’ler. The only people who truly understand these systems are installers and some users. The corporate call center folks know only what is on their scripts, especially since the acquisition by AT&T.

I promise you a third party wifi is not required.

* This post was edited 02/12/19 09:31am by Shot-N-Az *

ROFCIBC

Haughton, Louisiana

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/15/19 09:36am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

As a DirecTV user from '94, I've seen and heard just about everything from their tech support.

Right now my issue is going to be having to put a HD antenna and receiver in my RV.

But as for the Genie system. I have a whole house Genie system It had a HR44-500 receiver and a WVBRO-25 Wireless Video Bridge, which does NOT in any way, shape, nor form have a connection to the internet. Hard wire of WiFi. I have AT&T UVerse and it does broadcast a WiFi signal but WVBRO-25 does not have access to it. The only purpose of the WVBRO-25 is to "broadcast" a WiFi signal to the "Wireless Genie Mini" on each TV in the house, EXCEPT the one that is connected directly to the HR44-500.

With all the contact & research I've done regarding my RV, as well as converting my detached garage to HD (signal from the Whole House System will not reach) I have figured out that the "newwest" Genie system (what ever it's number is now) receivers have the "Wireless Video Bridge" built in the receiver (whatever their designation) and I was informed it did need an internet connection. May be only for specific packages, or some other special features.

I discovered this because I toyed with the idea of a "Whole Home Wireless" system in my RV and the internet connection was the show stopper.

So I'm just going with a Winegard Trav'ler, and a simple R24-500-C receiver. Downside is you can only record two channels at a time (vice 5 or 7 with Genie), but I've lived with that ever since I got my current RV (2005) and put the SD DirecTV in it.

2005 Dutch Star DSP 4023
Thank you, Mr. Newmar
Mr. Spartan
Mr. Cummins &
Mr. Allison

Bill.Satellite

Full-timer

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/15/19 04:40pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have a Trav'ler, a Genie, a client, Whole Home and no internet connection.
You might want to relook your options, the Genie is awesome!

ROFCIBC

Haughton, Louisiana

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/15/19 08:47pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Thought about that a long time ago. Neither the wife nor I care if we have HD in the rollin' condo, and wasn't ready to spend the $1500 for a trav'ler. Had the old round manual antenna that took a couple of minutes to have it up and running. Going to wait until DirecTV "pulls the plug" to see exactly what happens with my SD....for all I know, I'll still get the package I've had since '94, plus the LDN in lieu of local networks.

Plus what DirecTV is telling me, if I want a whole home, I have to basically get a separate account for the rollin' condo, which means no LDW, and gawd knows which package.

Went down the road with them with my garage. All they would do is give me a mini Genie, which was worthless since the garage is too far from the house. I told them that and they sent a tech out to discover what I already had, then charged (or tried to) me for a "on site technician visit" (49 bucks I think). I told them to come get all the DirecTV stuff, by the next day or it was going to be in the dumptser and I'd go with Dish. They got the idea and backed off the "service charge".....

To be honest ever since AT&T bought out DirecTV the service has gone to **** in a hand basket....

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Technology Corner

> Direct TV Genie System
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Technology Corner

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.