cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

If mama's happy...

philh
Explorer II
Explorer II
Who'd thunk aka, you can't make this stuff up.

I jumped both feet into a travel trailer a few years ago and towed it with my Charger... right at rated limits. It actually did a great job.

Then we found a campground not to far away that we fell in love with, and bought a park model. I said it would be three years before we'd want to travel again, and sold the travel trailer... Here it is three years later, and we're looking at 5th wheels for retirement, thinking about (sort of) full timing it.

Through a strange twist of fate, we're replacing her car with a F150, walked into the RV show, and she asks, "what's the F150 tow rating?". Warning bells are going off, making sure my wallet is still collecting cobwebs, and taking into account my mistake of telling her the actual tow limit of the charger and her pushing the limit, tell her 6,000 lbs. Next think I know, she's dragging me into a travel trailer, it's only 4,000 lbs, wouldn't this be perfect for some travel ๐Ÿ˜‰

She does have a good point, lets take some "lighter" travel trips while we consider what life might be like dragging a house around behind us. That purchase is about 3 years away, so we'll see how things develop.
6 REPLIES 6

Cloud_Dancer
Explorer II
Explorer II
Right now, all it will take is for her knee replacement to work out like it's supposed to. Ill do all the fixing on the motorhome. WE had quit RVing together just 'cause she could no longer climb the steps. It's true, RVs wear out quicker just sitting. I'll know tomorrow whether to get motivated or not.
Willie & Betty Sue
Miko & Sparky
2003 41 ft Dutch Star Diesel Pusher/Spartan
Floorplan 4010
Blazer toad & Ranger bassboat

BarabooBob
Explorer III
Explorer III
we traveled with an older Damon Escaper for years. The wife wanted a TT so we bought a truck and very lightly used TT. The third day of our first trip, she informed me that she loved having a TT, but, not this TT. We used it for that extended trip, 5 weeks, and sold it within 3 days of getting home. We even made a little bit on the sale. We used what we learned and bought another TT one week later. She loves it. Don;t be afraid to buy/sell. You will get what you want. If you buy right, it is not that expensive.
Bob & Dawn Married 34 years
2017 Viking 17RD
2011 Ford F150 3.5L Ecoboost 420 lb/ft
Retired

Veebyes
Explorer II
Explorer II
Research, research, research. Doing all those trades has cost you a bundle.

Years of research here. Got it down to a choice of only a few models. Found one of them only 6 months old, WITH truck well within tow limits, also 6 months old. The seller had made a huge very expensive mistake & wanted out badly. The fall is no time to be selling a summer toy. A great time to buy one.

Eleven years & over 200,000 miles later, there is no urge to get a different trailer or truck.

Research.
Boat: 32' 1996 Albin 32+2, single Cummins 315hp
40+ night per year overnighter

2007 Alpenlite 34RLR
2006 Chevy 3500 LT, CC,LB 6.6L Diesel

Ham Radio: VP9KL, IRLP node 7995

CavemanCharlie
Explorer II
Explorer II
philh wrote:
Who'd thunk aka, you can't make this stuff up.

I jumped both feet into a travel trailer a few years ago and towed it with my Charger... right at rated limits. It actually did a great job.

Then we found a campground not to far away that we fell in love with, and bought a park model. I said it would be three years before we'd want to travel again, and sold the travel trailer... Here it is three years later, and we're looking at 5th wheels for retirement, thinking about (sort of) full timing it.

Through a strange twist of fate, we're replacing her car with a F150, walked into the RV show, and she asks, "what's the F150 tow rating?". Warning bells are going off, making sure my wallet is still collecting cobwebs, and taking into account my mistake of telling her the actual tow limit of the charger and her pushing the limit, tell her 6,000 lbs. Next think I know, she's dragging me into a travel trailer, it's only 4,000 lbs, wouldn't this be perfect for some travel ๐Ÿ˜‰

She does have a good point, lets take some "lighter" travel trips while we consider what life might be like dragging a house around behind us. That purchase is about 3 years away, so we'll see how things develop.

I found that it took me 4 Travel Trailers until I found the floor plan that I like. Maybe you should consider buying used .

philh
Explorer II
Explorer II
d3500ram wrote:
Perhaps though, I should maybe focus on a goal of when I will get my next RV?

Our goal is my retirement in 4 years. Maybe sell the house, maybe sell the park model. Seems silly to have both the park model and the 5th wheel, except, it more of a stable homestead than the 5th wheel. Maybe purchase a small ranch for permanent base... so many decisions ๐Ÿ™‚

d3500ram
Explorer III
Explorer III
I can relate to what your sayin'... but rather in the TC world. Buy an RV, learn it, maybe fix it up, sell it, step up in the next one, repeat. That is what I did only now I am without RV. Other priorities allowed me sell it. I did not need to sell it, but it was not getting used all that much over the past 4 years.

It may be a sin to say this on RV.net, but with my situation in life right now, there is a certain freedom of getting rid of my RV. I know that sounds odd, but I have had several truck campers ...but for the first time in 20 years I do not have to worry about maintenance, insurance, the guilty feeling of not using it.

I was all about hassle free camping and the way I had my last set-up it was pretty darn close to the least effort to go camping. Heck, it was farther to get a six-pack than great camping spots. As easy as it was, my life is now a little more hassle free.

I will become more focused on my fixer-upper house now... and where I live, my backyard is practically like camping everyday.

But to the OP and RV's... things change and hopefully for the better- it sounds like it is that way for you ...and I know it is for me.

Perhaps though, I should maybe focus on a goal of when I will get my next RV?
Sold the TC, previous owner of 2 NorthStar pop-ups & 2 Northstar Arrows...still have the truck:

2005 Dodge 3500 SRW, Qcab long bed, NV-6500, diesel, 4WD, Helwig, 9000XL,
Nitto 285/70/17 Terra Grapplers, Honda eu3000Is, custom overload spring perch spacers.