cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

If you live year round

t-train
Explorer
Explorer
In your camper and your not retired how do you afford health insurance? What health insurance do you have? We have looked at living full time in our camper but health insurance is high.
12 REPLIES 12

CincyGus
Explorer II
Explorer II
Many of the people under 65 that full time have one person that works FT through the internet and has insurance coverage for the family that way. Others live on a low enough income level to be able to take advantage of the subsidies for health care. Good luck in finding the solution for your dream.
2015 GMC 2500 Denali Crewcab 4x4
2019 Forest River Wolfpack 23pack15

Hope your travels are safe and the friendships made camping are lasting.

fj12ryder
Explorer II
Explorer II
aftermath wrote:
I am aware of the PPO and HMO things. I have a PPO plan and when I am on the road I still get coverage although the charges are higher. If things turned bad for me I would end up paying some additional up front until the (higher) deductibles are met. Perhaps that is what the OP was talking about when he said it was expensive.
That was what I was thinking. If you go out of the "network" the doctors and such become very expensive. You're not denied service, just denied monetary recompense from your insurance.
Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

westernrvparkow
Explorer
Explorer
t-train wrote:
aftermath wrote:
I am still a bit confused. If your wife carries the health insurance policy, why would that change just because you moved? Is her insurance only good if she lives in your current location? I thought all health insurance is portable and will move with you.

It is a sad state of affairs when people canโ€™t afford coverage and have to just go out and take their chances. This is what we have become. We can do better.

We both would love too quit our full time jobs and live in our camper and just work part time. My wife looked into insurance if we were to just work part time and find insurance on our own. My wife said it would be expensive.
Right now we both work full time and my wife carries the insurance. I was just wondering how people afforded insurance on there own and what different options there were.
If you both only work part time, your income is likely to low. You would then qualify for subsidies under the ACA. Early retirees can also play that game by living off their savings and having the bulk of their investments in instruments that appreciate and do not generate income until they are sold. This keeps the income you show on your 1040 low and that is what the subsidies are based on.

Bill_Satellite
Explorer II
Explorer II
You just have to wait until you are 65. Then,insurance becomes something you can work with. Otherwise, getting insurance on your own has become extremely expensive or involves extremely high deductibles.
What I post is my 2 cents and nothing more. Please don't read anything into my post that's not there. If you disagree, that's OK.
Can't we all just get along?

t-train
Explorer
Explorer
aftermath wrote:
I am still a bit confused. If your wife carries the health insurance policy, why would that change just because you moved? Is her insurance only good if she lives in your current location? I thought all health insurance is portable and will move with you.

It is a sad state of affairs when people canโ€™t afford coverage and have to just go out and take their chances. This is what we have become. We can do better.

We both would love too quit our full time jobs and live in our camper and just work part time. My wife looked into insurance if we were to just work part time and find insurance on our own. My wife said it would be expensive.
Right now we both work full time and my wife carries the insurance. I was just wondering how people afforded insurance on there own and what different options there were.

aftermath
Explorer II
Explorer II
I am aware of the PPO and HMO things. I have a PPO plan and when I am on the road I still get coverage although the charges are higher. If things turned bad for me I would end up paying some additional up front until the (higher) deductibles are met. Perhaps that is what the OP was talking about when he said it was expensive.
2017 Toyota Tundra, Double Cab, 5.7L V8
2006 Airstream 25 FB SE
Equalizer Hitch

Moved from ATC

fj12ryder
Explorer II
Explorer II
aftermath wrote:

Not necessarily, it depends on whether it's a PPO or an HMO. And whether you need to use doctors and hospitals from within the "network". Some of those healthcare plans are very restrictive.
Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

aftermath
Explorer II
Explorer II

2017 Toyota Tundra, Double Cab, 5.7L V8
2006 Airstream 25 FB SE
Equalizer Hitch

jetboater454
Explorer
Explorer
A lot "pay as you go" on insurance. In other words,don't have insurance and just hope nothing major happens. I opted out of my employers plan,was overly expensive at $400/month.
My medical expenses last year was under $300 for doctor visits an rx's.
I guess if you have monthly meds you would need insurance. I do know between GA and FL obamacare when I looked into the hype of you need to have it,FL was over $200 cheaper than GA. GA is a high cancer state. I stay in GA but licensed in FL.
2011 Toyota Tundra DC Long Bed
2001 Harley Dyna Lowrider

t-train
Explorer
Explorer
My wife and I want too go south in the winter. In the spring come back north. Weโ€™re both in our 50โ€™s. My wife carries the insurance. My wife looked into other insurance but there expensive. This is why I was asking the question. I emailed one person who lives in there camper year around with kids how they afford insurance but they never got back too me.

DrewE
Explorer
Explorer
I suspect most people do it the same way that most people do who live in houses or apartments: either it's covered by their employer (and they can work remotely or are living in their RV near where their job is), or else they are self-employed and earn enough to cover the cost of what they deem to be adequate insurance. I don't see how being in an RV alters that question one way or the other.