cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

To clear or not to clear

swimmer_spe
Explorer
Explorer
I have 2 camping trailers. One is in my yard, the other is in the bush. The one in my yard has about 2 feet of snow on top. The other one, I do not know yet, but will know on Monday.

How deep should be cleared, or even, should it just be left alone?
13 REPLIES 13

TurnThePage
Explorer
Explorer
The ceiling in my trailer consists of panels separated by strips every 4 feet. Over the years the panels have wrinkled where they slip under those strips. I firmly believe this is at least partially related to warming/cooling cycles especially when the roof is weighed down with snow.

The freeze/thaw cycles always scared me too. It's very difficult to get all the snow off the roof, but when it's deep, I try to climb up there and get the bulk off.

Last fall I decided I wanted to get some more years out of my 15 year old trailer and had the roof shrink wrapped like they do with boats. No worries this year. I'm going to try to get a few years out that plastic.
2015 Ram 1500
2022 Grand Design Imagine XLS 22RBE

swimmer_spe
Explorer
Explorer
One of my trailers is over 40 years old. That iss the one I realy am concerned with. This one is the one in he bush.

SoundGuy
Explorer
Explorer
Mfan wrote:
I've always wondered when people say, the dealership doesn't clear them , does that mean that the leaks never begin at a dealership or the dealership is not concerned about the trailer in 3 or 4 years , when the leak becomes evident?

What it means is that no dealer is going to pay staff to clear the roof on hundreds of lot models only to have to repeat the process every time it snows. In the rare occasion when a new roof does leak the dealer will simply make a warranty claim to repair it, any roof that leaks later after the trailer is sold is the trailer owner's problem not the dealer's. Cost is the same reason no dealer will install covers on lot models even though his parts store sells these covers.
2012 Silverado 1500 Crew Cab
2014 Coachmen Freedom Express 192RBS
2003 Fleetwood Yuma * 2008 K-Z Spree 240BH-LX
2007 TrailCruiser C21RBH * 2000 Fleetwood Santa Fe
1998 Jayco 10UD * 1969 Coleman CT380

Mfan
Explorer
Explorer
I've always wondered when people say, the dealership doesn't clear them , does that mean that the leaks never begin at a dealership or the dealership is not concerned about the trailer in 3 or 4 years , when the leak becomes evident?

Dick_B
Explorer
Explorer
Next year cover it and don't worry about the freeze/thaw cycle. Search this Forum for `RV cover'.
Dick_B
2003 SunnyBrook 27FKS
2011 3/4 T Chevrolet Suburban
Equal-i-zer Hitch
One wife, two electric bikes (both Currie Tech Path+ models)

Tvov
Explorer
Explorer
Depends on the snow for me. I am also more worried about freeze / thaw opening up cracks in the seals.

If I think the roof should be cleaned off, I just do the bulk of it. I don't try to get every last bit. As mentioned earlier, I am careful to avoid damaging things on the roof.

It usually is not quick for me... need to get out step ladder, sometimes need to dig around the camper just for a place to setup the ladder!

MFL
Nomad II
Nomad II
With snow, one size does not fit all. Two feet of wet snow will weigh a lot, where the same, but dry snow, weighs much less. My concern is more about the freeze/thaw cycles, more likely toward Spring. The sun thaws from the bottom, causing water to get in the cracks/crannies during the daytime, then refreezes at night. When in the warm temp thaw process, I get on a tall step ladder, and push the snow off with a garage floor broom. If you catch it at just the right time, it just slides right off, and does a pretty good job of cleaning the roof too.

Jerry

Fizz
Explorer
Explorer
Donโ€™t worry about it.
Look at all the dealerships around you, theyโ€™re all covered in snow.
Mine is parked at the cottage, itโ€™s never been cleared in 15 yrs. still standing.
You can and will do more damage mucking about up there.

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
Presume this isn't the first year you've had a camper. Of coupe clear the snow off the roof. I mean it isn't the immediate death of the trailer if you don't, but if you're asking the question, why not just clean it off. What's it take, like 15 minutes?
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

ScottG
Nomad
Nomad
I would clear it, espcially before the thaw. If water can somehow puddle around the vent lids, they will leak as the water rises up into them.
Learned this one the hard way.

Trackrig
Explorer II
Explorer II
I never clean mine with only two feet of snow on it.

If you do, watch out for the vent covers and shower sky-lite cover. They're plastic and don't like shovels in cold weather, breaking or cracking very easily.

Bill
Nodwell RN110 out moose hunting. 4-53 Detroit, Clark 5 spd, 40" wide tracks, 10:00x20 tires, 16,000# capacity, 22,000# weight. You know the mud is getting deep when it's coming in the doors.

TazFord
Explorer
Explorer
Clear the top and away from the sides
Life long camper, First time Fiver
2018 Starcraft Solstice 29BHSโ€”2008 Chevy Silverado 2500HD

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
Iโ€™d clear it gently. Weight would be my concern.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad