cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

How to easily turn off the microwave...

deltabravo
Nomad
Nomad
One thing I have done to all my RVs is to install a switched outlet for the microwave, so I can kill power to it when I'm using inverter power. The reason behind this is power conservation. I will turn on the switch when I want to use the microwave.

The microwave always uses power for the clock / digital display.

Another reason for the switch is to kill microwave power at night, when I'm on shorepower. The clock is very bright, and lights up the interior of the RV

When I am out camping, and not exploring the area, etc., I might end up on my laptop for extended time periods, using my inverter for AC power for the laptop and big LCD monitor I use for editing videos. I also power up a USB hub so I can plug in more than two USB devices such as a portable hard drive, tether my cell phone from internet, etc.
Conserving every bit of power helps, which is why I disable the microwave with the switch.

Here it is in my Nash 17k
2009 Silverado 3500HD Dually, D/A, CCLB 4x4 (bought new 8/30/09)
2018 Arctic Fox 992 with an Onan 2500i "quiet" model generator
21 REPLIES 21

colliehauler
Explorer
Explorer
deltabravo wrote:
time2roll wrote:
Anything that runs from a USB... get a 12v to USB adapter for direct (no inverter) charging.

DONE:

Adding USB charging ports and 12v outlets to an RV
This is what I would have suggested as well, no need to waste power on the inverter itslf.

suprz
Explorer
Explorer
doxiemom11 wrote:
I just open the adjacent cupboard and unplug it if I don't want power to it. It's always plugged in though - never unplug it unless repairing it.

This is the exact thing i was thinking too... Seems simple enough
Proud father of a US Marine

allen8106
Explorer
Explorer
When I installed my inverter I just wired it direct into the three circuits I wanted to power and excluded the microwave circuit. When hooked to shore power the microwave is powered but not when on inverter power.

Works pretty well, no switches needed.
2010 Eagle Super Lite 315RLDS
2018 GMC Sierra 3500HD 6.6L Duramax

2010 Nights 45
2011 Nights 70
2012 Nights 144
2013 Nights 46
2014 Nights 49
2015 Nights 57
2016 Nights 73
2017 Nights 40
2018 Nights 56
2019 Nights 76
2020 Nights 68

packnrat
Explorer
Explorer
guess i am lucky, i also do not like all kinds of lights on. but my micro oven is not a problem. it was new back in 2000.
maybe even a older model?
2006 F250 4X4 auto 6.0 short bed
2001 sunnybrook 24 ft
1984 cj7 built up a bit
kg6tgu
never too many toys, just not enought room to keep them
one dog who belives she is the master. rip 12 12 2007
12 loving years and loyal to the end.
just out having fun

Ron3rd
Explorer
Explorer
doxiemom11 wrote:
I just open the adjacent cupboard and unplug it if I don't want power to it. It's always plugged in though - never unplug it unless repairing it.

I turn the microwave breaker off
2016 6.7 CTD 2500 BIG HORN MEGA CAB
2013 Forest River 3001W Windjammer
Equilizer Hitch
Honda EU2000

"I have this plan to live forever; so far my plan is working"

doxiemom11
Explorer II
Explorer II

BarabooBob
Explorer III
Explorer III
I added a switch to my TT to kill the radio. That thing could light up the interior of the entire TT. I kill my microwave with the circuit breaker for the same reason. My interior now has no lights on at night unless I want them on.
Bob & Dawn Married 34 years
2017 Viking 17RD
2011 Ford F150 3.5L Ecoboost 420 lb/ft
Retired

Trackrig
Explorer II
Explorer II
I have a Nash 26X. With a few minutes in a welding shop, it's very easy to add two more 6V batteries for a total of four so that battery power really isn't a problem.

Bill
Nodwell RN110 out moose hunting. 4-53 Detroit, Clark 5 spd, 40" wide tracks, 10:00x20 tires, 16,000# capacity, 22,000# weight. You know the mud is getting deep when it's coming in the doors.

profdant139
Explorer II
Explorer II
delta, I'm with you -- I will go to great lengths to avoid parasitic drain. We boondock most of the time. A quarter amp here, a quarter there, and soon you are all amped up! ๐Ÿ˜‰
2012 Fun Finder X-139 "Boondock Style" (axle-flipped and extra insulation)
2013 Toyota Tacoma Off-Road (semi-beefy tires and components)
Our trips -- pix and text
About our trailer
"A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single list."

opnspaces
Navigator
Navigator
I caught the light part and I agree on the annoyance. Most of my camping is boondocking out in the desert and any light LED or otherwise at night is a distraction. I've also added the same 12v plug that you linked and the blue LED on it is annoying as well. I did find one on Amazon with no LED, its about $5 more but I think worth it.

Non illuminated adapter

As always with Amazon, make sure you select the correct model as there is a choice of three different ones on the page but only one is non LED.
2001 Suburban 4x4. 6.0L, 4.10 3/4 ton **** 2005 Jayco Jay Flight 27BH **** 1986 Coleman Columbia Popup

GordonThree
Explorer
Explorer
deltabravo wrote:
Another reason for the switch is to kill microwave power at night, when I'm on shorepower. The clock is very bright, and lights up the interior of the RV

100% agree on that, sometimes it seems like it has a timer and gets brighter the later it gets.
2013 KZ Sportsmen Classic 200, 20 ft TT
2020 RAM 1500, 5.7 4x4, 8 speed

deltabravo
Nomad
Nomad

deltabravo
Nomad
Nomad
time2roll wrote:
Consider a small 150 watt sine wave inverter to charge small items (laptop)

I edited my post to add more clarity. The laptop isn't the only thing I power. I added this phrase:

"...running my inverter for AC power for the laptop and big LCD monitor I use for editing videos, USB hub so I can plug in more than two USB devices, etc."

deltabravo
Nomad
Nomad
time2roll wrote:
Anything that runs from a USB... get a 12v to USB adapter for direct (no inverter) charging.

DONE:

Adding USB charging ports and 12v outlets to an RV