cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Induction cooktop

zb39
Explorer
Explorer
Does an induction cooktop run off of the inverter or is it genset only if not plugged in.

I am referring to a cooktop in a large DP. Tiffin, Newmar, or Berkshire.

thanks
2017 Host mammoth, sold
49 states, 41 National Parks, 7 Provinces
2019 2 door Rubicon 6 spd.
2019 Berkshire XLT 45B
2022 Host Cascade
2021 Ram 5500 Air ride
28 REPLIES 28

zb39
Explorer
Explorer
Thank you all!!
2017 Host mammoth, sold
49 states, 41 National Parks, 7 Provinces
2019 2 door Rubicon 6 spd.
2019 Berkshire XLT 45B
2022 Host Cascade
2021 Ram 5500 Air ride

DSDP_Don
Explorer
Explorer
Our new coach came with the True Induction Cooktop, which is a 110 volt unit. We have 8 AGM batteries and the cooktop will operate off of the inverter. Even though it does, I've never been a fan of running the cooktop or microwave off of the inverter. I always fire up the generator.
Don & Mary
2019 Newmar Dutch Star 4018 - All Electric
2019 Ford Raptor Crew Cab

Ivylog
Explorer III
Explorer III
To switch the induction off...the plug is to far from the door to just unplug. I bought a $10 3โ€™ 15 amp power strip with a switch. Mounted it just inside the door below the unit making it easy to turn it on/off.
This post is my opinion (free advice). It is not intended to influence anyone's judgment nor do I advocate anyone do what I propose.
Sold 04 Dynasty to our son after 14 great years.
Upgraded with a 08 HR Navigator 45โ€™...

wildmanbaker
Explorer
Explorer
Ivylog wrote:
Positive...amps went from 10 to 7 when I unplugged it. Checked it two times.

You do not need induction cookware...anytime magnetic will work including most SS pots and pans.
WOW! Thanks for the update. Our inverter pulled 3 amps at idle, and like you, we like to boondock in the spring, summer, and fall, so I disconnected it and changed the wiring.
Wildmanbaker

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
MrWizard wrote:
Steel is inductive, it's just not labeled as induction cookware
All induction cook ware is some form of steel or iron

My Portable induction burner came with a "Refrigerator Magnet" and the manual says if it sticks it cooks.

Now.. Stainless.. Some sticks. some it does not.. But on Cast Iron or regular steel it does. "Copper Cookware" (TM) pans it works T-Fal some do some do not. Just take a magnet with you when you go shopping.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

MrWizard
Steel is inductive, it's just not labeled as induction cookware
All induction cook ware is some form of steel or iron
I can explain it to you.
But I Can Not understand it for you !

Connected using T-Mobile Home internet and Visible Phone service
1997 F53 Bounder 36s

Ivylog
Explorer III
Explorer III
Positive...amps went from 10 to 7 when I unplugged it. Checked it two times.

You do not need induction cookware...anytime magnetic will work including most SS pots and pans.
This post is my opinion (free advice). It is not intended to influence anyone's judgment nor do I advocate anyone do what I propose.

wildmanbaker
Explorer
Explorer
Ivylog wrote:
On another forum an induction question got me to check if my recently installed 2 burner Cuisinart was drawing power all of the time. We dry camp often in the summer so every amp counts. Turns out it draws 3 amps DC even when not using. Over 24 hours thatโ€™s a lot of wasted power. I may have to add a remote switch to make it easier to turn it off at the outlet.
Are you sure its the burner that's drawing the current and not your inverter? 3 amps sounds like what the inverter draws at idle.
Wildmanbaker

Ivylog
Explorer III
Explorer III
On another forum an induction question got me to check if my recently installed 2 burner Cuisinart was drawing power all of the time. We dry camp often in the summer so every amp counts. Turns out it draws 3 amps DC even when not using. Over 24 hours thatโ€™s a lot of wasted power. I may have to add a remote switch to make it easier to turn it off at the outlet.

MrWizard
I agree with Doug on this
Point of inverter connection is the batteries
The alternator simply keeps the voltage ? and hence the current a little higher

If you remove the battery from the circuit and attach the inverter directly to the cables with out the battery, it isn't going to work in almost all RVs
Certainly will not work in mine, going to need an alternator that can maintain 100+ amps at idle speed at full voltage at the connection point, with instant full amps, otherwise the inverter is going to fault and shut off
I can explain it to you.
But I Can Not understand it for you !

Connected using T-Mobile Home internet and Visible Phone service
1997 F53 Bounder 36s

dougrainer
Nomad
Nomad
Groover wrote:
dougrainer wrote:
Groover wrote:
That just depends on how it is wired. In my motorhome the microwave oven works on the inverter if that is the only available power source. The power for the inverter can come from the batteries (which doesn't work very well) or the main engine alternator. The water heater and air conditioners are not wired to the inverter.

Your Inverter ALWAYS works from the coach batteries. All the Engine Alternator does is resupply the energy lost from the batteries. If your Inverter does not work very well when the engine is OFF, then you have a problem and that needs to be fixed. Doug

The inverter is going to pull from whichever source has the higher voltage at that amperage. If the altenator cannot supply enough amperage then inverter will pull from the batteries. Under heavy loads my lead acids lose a lot of voltage so I only run cooking devices while one of the engines is running. And the batteries are only just over a year old. That is part of why I am looking at lithium batteries.

Well you are wrong. Tell you what, go disconnect the coach batteries and then try to run your Inverter from the Engine Alternator. Doug

Groover
Explorer II
Explorer II
dougrainer wrote:
Groover wrote:
That just depends on how it is wired. In my motorhome the microwave oven works on the inverter if that is the only available power source. The power for the inverter can come from the batteries (which doesn't work very well) or the main engine alternator. The water heater and air conditioners are not wired to the inverter.

Your Inverter ALWAYS works from the coach batteries. All the Engine Alternator does is resupply the energy lost from the batteries. If your Inverter does not work very well when the engine is OFF, then you have a problem and that needs to be fixed. Doug

The inverter is going to pull from whichever source has the higher voltage at that amperage. If the altenator cannot supply enough amperage then inverter will pull from the batteries. Under heavy loads my lead acids lose a lot of voltage so I only run cooking devices while one of the engines is running. And the batteries are only just over a year old. That is part of why I am looking at lithium batteries.

Blaster_Man
Explorer
Explorer
zb39 wrote:
Does an induction cooktop run off of the inverter or is it genset only if not plugged in.

I am referring to a cooktop in a large DP. Tiffin, Newmar, or Berkshire.

thanks

You can run it off any AC outlet that is wired to the inverter. We run the M/W off the inverter and it draws more amps than the induction cooktop.
2014 American Eagle

dougrainer
Nomad
Nomad
zb39 wrote:
Lots of info. Yes we are looking at coaches again after selling our Zephyr a few years ago. We have never had an induction cooktop before. The coaches we are looking at have built in ones. Wife brought the question up. All coaches are used and are hundreds or thousands of miles from us, so a demo is out until we get there. It's not a deal breaker either way, just curious. We are VERY experienced with battery power and inverters. etc. Have just never had a induction cooktop. Searching the net hasn't helped, nor do the factory brochures or web sites. Just thought I would ask here. Thanks all.

Remember, the Tiffin Inductions require Induction cookware. Tiffin supplies the correct Cookware. Doug