cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

umbilical wire color coding

DReisinger
Explorer
Explorer
Is there a drawing showing the color coding for the trailer plug wiring on a 2005 Cardinal fiver
17 REPLIES 17

enblethen
Nomad
Nomad
It is best to fix wiring errors where they occur so as not to make it worse.

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

2003 Chev Ice Road Tracker

hotpepperkid
Explorer
Explorer
dougrainer wrote:
enblethen wrote:
I sure would not trust color code as being all that matters.
You never know what a previous owner or even what a shop has done.
Best is to flash out each function in the trailer then connect to the correc connector location. Then after all is connected recheck from TV.

You are correct for aftermarket wiring installs. But, if you find a color code mismatch, you NEED to correct it. Makes it really hard for the next person to troubleshoot. Doug

Not going to happen with me. I dont care if the wire is purple, green, or what ever. It it make the left turn signal flash and it is suppose to flash then it good enough for me
2019 Ford F-350 long bed SRW 4X4 6.4 PSD Grand Designs Reflection 295RL 5th wheel

enblethen
Nomad
Nomad
Color coding by manufacturer's wiring is non-existent as you know.
Yes, the standard seven conductor cable should be corrected, but it will take the normal person sometime to do it. Molded seven conductor cable assemblies are almost always correct.

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

dougrainer
Nomad
Nomad
enblethen wrote:
Best is to flash out each function in the trailer then connect to the correc connector location. Then after all is connected recheck from TV.

You are correct for aftermarket wiring installs. But, if you find a color code mismatch, you NEED to correct it. Makes it really hard for the next person to troubleshoot. Doug

enblethen
Nomad
Nomad

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

dougrainer
Nomad
Nomad
hotpepperkid wrote:
dougrainer wrote:
AS both links/diagrams are good, you MUST make sure you utilize the RV diagram. All others are wrong for Rv's. Doug

Excluding the colors the pin desanations are the same

Are you serious?????? The COLOR code is ALL that matters. Doug

hotpepperkid
Explorer
Explorer
dougrainer wrote:
AS both links/diagrams are good, you MUST make sure you utilize the RV diagram. All others are wrong for Rv's. Doug

Excluding the colors the pin desanations are the same
2019 Ford F-350 long bed SRW 4X4 6.4 PSD Grand Designs Reflection 295RL 5th wheel

dougrainer
Nomad
Nomad
dougrainer wrote:
DougE wrote:
Fortunately both the cargo standard and the RV standard used the same locations, only the wire color changes. Just as a personal preference I always wire to the cargo standard as most outfitters are more familiar with it.

Explain "Most Outfitters". Who are these Outfitters? Doug

I meant to explain in more detail. We and I advise customers that are either towing a trailer or a vehicle, to wire the trailer and the vehicle with a 7 way Bargman trailer(male) end and WIRE it to RV 7 way code. Almost ALL motorhomes built in the past 15 years will have a Bargman 7 way RV female tow plug on the rear by the hitch. It WILL be wired as the RV Bargman 7 way code. Do NOT use a 4 way or 6 way round plug on the towed trailer/vehicle. Using the 7 way Bargman means that regardless of the new or used Motorhome you buy and use your towed vehicle will connect without any issues. For a Towed vehicle add on brake system you have the extra 2 pins on the 7 way to utilize the add on brake system wiring. Doug

dougrainer
Nomad
Nomad
DougE wrote:
Fortunately both the cargo standard and the RV standard used the same locations, only the wire color changes. Just as a personal preference I always wire to the cargo standard as most outfitters are more familiar with it.

Explain "Most Outfitters". Who are these Outfitters? Doug

DougE
Explorer
Explorer
Currently Between RVs

dougrainer
Nomad
Nomad
opnspaces wrote:
dougrainer wrote:

Doug, not an argument, but just to clarify as I wired mine months ago and threw out my notes when done. On the diagram above the RV diagram is the center of the three columns. This diagram shows the tail and running lights as a green wire not brown. I thought the tail and running light wire was always brown. I'm sure the memory of that difference would have stuck with me today.

The statement I made is correct. Brown is used for NON RV trailers for running lights. The mistake people make is when they go from Boat Trailers and utility trailers with a 4 way flat plug. THAT brown wire is indeed BROWN for running lights. After 40 years and still working as a RV Tech, I think I would know what is correct:) I posted to let people know that The Internet is NOT always the most factual place to get info. In this case it WAS. BUT you had to know which of the many diagrams was correct. So, I clarified it. Doug

opnspaces
Navigator
Navigator
dougrainer wrote:

Doug, not an argument, but just to clarify as I wired mine months ago and threw out my notes when done. On the diagram above the RV diagram is the center of the three columns. This diagram shows the tail and running lights as a green wire not brown. I thought the tail and running light wire was always brown. I'm sure the memory of that difference would have stuck with me today.
2001 Suburban 4x4. 6.0L, 4.10 3/4 ton **** 2005 Jayco Jay Flight 27BH **** 1986 Coleman Columbia Popup

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
Also since there is no such thing as a "STANDARD" ISO type Stanard. Just a "Tradition" you should check everything out to insure they are as listed.

A 12 volt "jump pack" battery is handy for this.. Usually they will be right but I've worked on a trailer that was anything but.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

opnspaces
Navigator
Navigator
It seems counter intuitive but I would never go by the diagrams for wire color alone. Use any search engine and type in "7 blade rv wiring diagram" click search and then click on images at the top of the search window. you will see many different wiring variations.

As a teenager I sold a boat to a guy and helped hook up the trailer to the truck. His 4 pin used the bare ground pin as 12v positive running lights.

Back in November I helped my neighbor replace the 7 pin on his flatbed trailer. The wire colors did not match either of the diagrams. Yes the wires went to the correct places for the plug, but the colors were wrong.

Bottom line, if you have and know how to use a multimeter, I would do two things.

1. Check in the junction box to verify the wire colors are the same on each side of the crimp or wire nut (ie. yellow wire connected to yellow wire etc). Make note if they are not.
  2. Make sure the wire colors on the diagrams match your old and new plug. Use your multimeter in continuity mode to verify that the pins on the plug are the correct color at the trailer end. It only takes a second and can save some headaches troubleshooting.
2001 Suburban 4x4. 6.0L, 4.10 3/4 ton **** 2005 Jayco Jay Flight 27BH **** 1986 Coleman Columbia Popup