cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Cashing in my chips

steelhunter
Explorer
Explorer
I've decided to retire. I love my job but I'm at the age where the end is much closer than the beginning. DW says she wants me all to herself before we get too old.
We've had rvs before including an Arctic Fox camper as well as a Cardinal 5th wheel.
Now it's time for a nice Class C ....not too big and not to small.
Hope to see all of you down the trail soon.
17 REPLIES 17

ken56
Explorer
Explorer
Nothing better than owning your own time. There is certainly an adjustment period when you retire, financially wise and relationship wise. I retired early at 52 and have done a few things since but on my terms. The wife and I are coming up on 45 years together and we still like each other too.

As much as I liked my job it never defined who I was. For some people they need the identy of their employment to feel relevent. Some folks think they must be productive to be relevent. Be happy to sit back and watch old westerns all day if you want to or if you must, volunteer at the local (insert here) to 'give back' so to speak. It is now all up to you. Go forth and be free.

Guy_Roan
Explorer
Explorer
steelhunter wrote:
I've decided to retire. I love my job but I'm at the age where the end is much closer than the beginning. DW "says she wants me all to herself before we get too old."
We've had rvs before including an Arctic Fox camper as well as a Cardinal 5th wheel.
Now it's time for a nice Class C ....not too big and not to small.
Hope to see all of you down the trail soon.

DW "says she wants me all to herself before we get too old."

You mean up until now you've been sharing yourself ? I think you should keep a good thing going!

Guy

pnichols
Explorer II
Explorer II
Many congrats on your upcoming retirement!!

I retired 16 years ago and have never looked back. I always have one question for everyone who says that they "love or loved their job". Here's the question: "If you had been born independently wealthy would you still have worked your job?"

I put up with, and sometimes liked, my professional career ... but in the long run "a job is still just a necessary-evil job". Retirement is something else altogether.

Enjoy! ๐Ÿ˜‰
2005 E450 Itasca 24V Class C

Range_Maggot_Bo
Explorer
Explorer
Way to go! I'm about 16 months behind you. Yes, I'm down to counting months, not years. One of the best things about retiring, so I'm told, is that tomorrow is always Saturday!

js218
Explorer
Explorer
Retired in 2012 at 55 spent 4 years touring the world, 2016 discovered Super C rvs been on the road since 10/16, life is good.
2017 Haulmark 45' Super C 600hp, 12 speed I shift transmission, tandem drive axles, 3 stage engine brake, towing 26' trailer with an 08 explorer inside.
Jim

Trekkar
Explorer
Explorer
Congratulations on a difficult decision. Retirement should be the best job you ever had, and you already have a wife that talks that way about you.
Safe travels in your new chapter!
2014 Dodge Ram 1500
2021 Salem SFX 167RBK

bucky
Explorer II
Explorer II
That "all to herself" thing is a Trojan horse. Make sure that you keep "you" in there somewhere. And sometimes that means somewhere else. We are 40 plus years into this union, but only 2 into retirement. We have needed some adjustments.
Glad you got to the brass ring, now grab it and enjoy.
Puma 30RKSS

BarabooBob
Explorer III
Explorer III
My early retirement came courtesy of the US Government. I worked federal law enforcement and the mandatory retirement age is 57. They tell you up front about the early retirement so they expect you to save enough money to get through without going broke. Thankfully my wife and I lived cheap and saved as much as possible to enjoy ourselves now. Working part time puts gas in the truck's tank so I don't have to touch the retirement nest egg.
I LOVE retirement. 7 years now and going to make it a long time.
Bob & Dawn Married 34 years
2017 Viking 17RD
2011 Ford F150 3.5L Ecoboost 420 lb/ft
Retired

Old-Biscuit
Explorer
Explorer
Congrats on your up coming change in status

I retired 16 yrs ago (at 50 yrs old) and it has been better then expected.
18 more yrs and I will have been retired for as long as I had worked.

Retirement SHOULD last longer then work time...don't ya think!
Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31

rexlion
Explorer
Explorer
You lucky dog. You get to goof off, and better yet you have a wife who says nice things like that.
Mike G.
Liberty is meaningless where the right to utter one's thoughts and opinions has ceased to exist. That, of all rights, is the dread of tyrants. --Frederick Douglass
photo: Yosemite Valley view from Taft Point

gbopp
Explorer
Explorer
Congrats. Enjoy your travels.

Wiscampsin
Explorer
Explorer
Congrats on your retirement. I retired 9 years ago at 58 and although I loved my job I never second guessed my decision.

Artum_Snowbird
Explorer
Explorer
We have had everything except for a bumper pull now. Three campers, a fifth wheel, and two motorhomes. Overall, we think we like the motorhomes the best for overall comfort and convenience.

Both of ours have been around 27 feet on Ford E450 chassis running gear. We like a one piece nose cap, lots of counter space, cab over bed and rear bed not on a slide. We like not having an outside step. We really like our double layer pull down roll blinds instead of the pleated ones. The hot water tank heats from the engine, the grey and black tanks have heaters, and the dinette slide can be in or out and is fully usable either way.

Happy retirement
Mike
2012 Winnebago Impulse Silver 26QP
2005 16.6 Double Eagle
2018 Jeep Wrangler JK
previously Snowbird Campers,
Triple E Motorhome and Fifth Wheel

IB853347201
Nomad
Nomad
Congrats! If I had known how great retirement is, I would have done it 30 years ago!
2010 Suncruiser