cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Skylight crack repair

D_E_Bishop
Explorer
Explorer
Has anyone here attempted to weld a cracked skylight made of polycarbonate? I finally found a new dome but if I can fix it for a few cents instead of $140 plus shipping for a new dome, it would be worth it.

I have a hot air type welder and the correct rods as I've done repairs on other items. I will drill a stop crack hole first and then weld. One crack is where a mounting screw is located and I'll weld and then install a new screw on either side of the crack.
"I travel not to go anywhere, but to go. I travel for travel's sake. The great affair is to go". R. L. Stevenson

David Bishop
2002 Winnebago Adventurer 32V
2009 GMC Canyon
Roadmaster 5000
BrakeBuddy Classic II
13 REPLIES 13

D_E_Bishop
Explorer
Explorer
Well, I finished installing the new skylight dome today. I had decided against repairing due to the sun and possible impact damage. Just too much welding or gluing.

There was some damage to the Luan ply under the FG roof and on top of the ceiling panel. Knew that most of the scews wouldn't have any grip in the delaminated Luan ply si I glued 1-16X2" aluminum to the foam insulation and the Luan.

I used self drilling screws just like Winnie did but When I glued the new dome to the roof, I used fender washers to distribute the clamping effect of the screws. After the glue dried, I replaced the fender washers with std washers. I put some of the glue into the holes at the same time. To ensure good adhesion of the Dicor I used the seal the screws and edges, I was carefl to remove any glue that oozed out during screwing the dome to the roof. I even used a paint sctapper to get all the glue from the edges.

Of course not that it is done, the storms we were getting stopped. None are scheduled untill next weekend so everything will be throughly set by then.

When we get back from the beach next week, I'll remove rgw leaking passenger side window, have the leak and then reinstall using the proper sealant and properly installed in it's proper location. Ain't RV ownership fun.
"I travel not to go anywhere, but to go. I travel for travel's sake. The great affair is to go". R. L. Stevenson

David Bishop
2009 GMC Canyon
Roadmaster 5000
BrakeBuddy Classic II

westend
Explorer
Explorer
If the material is actually polycarbonate, it can be repaired with a solvent adhesive made for that (contains MEK), I actually built my rear vent lid with a found dome of polycarbonate and some Lexan sheet I cut. I glued it up with the solvent glue and it is still in place after 7 years.

'03 F-250 4x4 CC
'71 Starcraft Wanderstar -- The Cowboy/Hilton

beemerphile1
Explorer
Explorer
If only a few cracks but structurally sound, use Captain Tolley's Creeping Crack Cure.
Build a life you don't need a vacation from.

2016 Silverado 3500HD DRW D/A 4x4
2018 Keystone Cougar 26RBS
2006 Weekend Warrior FK1900

whjco
Explorer
Explorer
D.E.Bishop wrote:
Well Folks, I am following the replace it posts, not because I want to but because there are quite a few cracks and several, maybe thousands of little hairline fractures just waiting for a little twisting or a tree limb or maybe even a gull to land on the dome.

I am skipping on the $140, plus shipping and buying from Lichtsinn. It's $11 more but I know that it is an exact replacement for the original dome.

I am not however going to use the same adhesive that Winnie used. It nay work but not applied the way the factory used it. There is some damage to the roof substrate and in part it was cause by the adhesive being installed in a very narrow area and not adhering well.

The roof is fiberglass laid over luan and foam under the roof. The foam is not glued to the luan. A small area if the luan has delaminated and I have a excellent waterproof adhesive that I will use to glue the lams back together. The glue is from a mill in Oregon and is used to laminate beams. I have some 1.5" by .125" mild steel that I intend to put between the luan and the foam. I will drill holes for mounting in the steel and use sheet metal screw to put the skylight, fiberglass and luan tight together and give the screws a better bite that just the glass and luan. I'l start work nextweek after this current storm has past, I'll post some pictures whan I'm done.

Be careful not to overtighten the mounting screws. You might even want to use stainless washers to distribute the pressure.
Bill J., Lexington, KY
2006 Starcraft 2500RKS 25' Travel Trailer
2015 Ram 2500 Big Horn 6.7 Cummins.

D_E_Bishop
Explorer
Explorer
Well Folks, I am following the replace it posts, not because I want to but because there are quite a few cracks and several, maybe thousands of little hairline fractures just waiting for a little twisting or a tree limb or maybe even a gull to land on the dome.

I am skipping on the $140, plus shipping and buying from Lichtsinn. It's $11 more but I know that it is an exact replacement for the original dome.

I am not however going to use the same adhesive that Winnie used. It nay work but not applied the way the factory used it. There is some damage to the roof substrate and in part it was cause by the adhesive being installed in a very narrow area and not adhering well.

The roof is fiberglass laid over luan and foam under the roof. The foam is not glued to the luan. A small area if the luan has delaminated and I have a excellent waterproof adhesive that I will use to glue the lams back together. The glue is from a mill in Oregon and is used to laminate beams. I have some 1.5" by .125" mild steel that I intend to put between the luan and the foam. I will drill holes for mounting in the steel and use sheet metal screw to put the skylight, fiberglass and luan tight together and give the screws a better bite that just the glass and luan. I'l start work nextweek after this current storm has past, I'll post some pictures whan I'm done.

David Bishop
2009 GMC Canyon
Roadmaster 5000
BrakeBuddy Classic II

larry_barnhart
Explorer
Explorer
Cummins12V98 wrote:
Replace it, WHY risk potential water damage over 140 bones???

That is what I did in July because of a hairline crack that dicor fixed it to wait to get home last winter. Time and sun on a 2001 was the reason.

chevman
chevman
2019 rockwood 34 ft fifth wheel sold
2005 3500 2wd duramax CC dually
prodigy

KSH 55 inbed fuel tank

scanguage II
TD-EOC
Induction Overhaul Kit
TST tire monitors
FMCA # F479110

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
Replace it, WHY risk potential water damage over 140 bones???
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

loggenrock
Explorer
Explorer
Consider Lexel - got it at Home Depot. Crystal clear non-silicone caulk/sealant. Very flexible. About $7 for a small tube. Can't speak for long term durability - only started using it last summer, but very good results so far.
Two and a hound in a 2015 Coachmen Prism "B+"...pushed by '09 Suby Forester
First 50 done, working on the second pass! Nunavut - we'll see...!
2005-2015 Roadtrek 190P
1993-2005 Northstar Soft-Side TC
1989-1993 Backpacks & Tents!
1967-1977 Family TT's

mobeewan
Explorer
Explorer
I have some water damage due to cracks where the Dome transitions into the flanges. I didn't realize it until water dripped on my head while I was taking a shower. The water was running down the roof framing and then wicked its way on top of the ceiling paneling spreading out.

You really need to go ahead and replace it now while you can before you have a lot of water damage and have to start tearing into the roof. A temporary fix would be to put some Eternal Bond over the cracks. That would have least stop any possible water from getting through if it hasn't been already.

IB853347201
Nomad
Nomad
$140? What a deal. I would definately just replace it as fast as you can. Water damage from a crack/leak will cause more than $140 damage in the blink of an eye..
2010 Suncruiser

PenMan
Explorer
Explorer
I just replaced mine. It had several cracks in it.
Chris and Jane
2013 Open Range Journeyer JT337RLS
2006 Dodge Ram 3500, 4x4, Crew Cab, DRW, 5.9 turbo diesel
1996 Harley Davidson Electraglide

gbopp
Explorer
Explorer
I stop drilled mine and applied a strip of Eternabond. It's been several years and no leaks or problems.

Home_Skillet
Explorer II
Explorer II
It's hard to plastic weld polycarbonate. Not enough flex in the material.

I just put a strip of EternaBond on mine.
2005 Gulf Stream Conquest 31ft
BigFoot Levelers,TST in tire TPMS,Bilstein Shocks,Trans temp guage,Lowrace iWAY