cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Any experience renting out your motorhome?

chasloew
Explorer
Explorer
I’m a newbie with a question about rentals. Years ago, my wife and I spent over a month traveling in a friend’s motorhome. Now that we’re retired, we’d like to have our own for several trips a year. To help with expenses, we’d like to use a peer-to-peer rental service like Outdoorsy or RVshare. I’ve read glowing reports on their sites about the money that can be made, but I’m sure they’re biased. I’m also aware that many advise against this without having done it.

We’d like to get unbiased advice and experiences -- both pro and con -- from those who have actually used these services. We’re in a mid-sized city in the Midwest. We think a small used motorhome that sleeps at least 4 might be good, but want to know what makes the most sense financially and what potential there is. If you've done this, we'd really like to hear from you.

Thanks, Charlie
37 REPLIES 37

jamesu
Explorer
Explorer
chasloew wrote:
I’m a newbie with a question about rentals. Years ago, my wife and I spent over a month traveling in a friend’s motorhome. Now that we’re retired, we’d like to have our own for several trips a year. To help with expenses, we’d like to use a peer-to-peer rental service like Outdoorsy or RVshare. I’ve read glowing reports on their sites about the money that can be made, but I’m sure they’re biased. I’m also aware that many advise against this without having done it.

We’d like to get unbiased advice and experiences -- both pro and con -- from those who have actually used these services. We’re in a mid-sized city in the Midwest. We think a small used motorhome that sleeps at least 4 might be good, but want to know what makes the most sense financially and what potential there is. If you've done this, we'd really like to hear from you.

Thanks, Charlie

No way. I take pride in my TT and there is no way I would give it to a stranger who likely has no experience...towing, backing, etc. It’s my loss through wear and tear on equipment, systems, and tires. That guy has no stake in my game, so why should he care? I see no positives in this scenario.

No thank you!
2011 Chevy 2500 Duramax diesel
2019 Timber Ridge 24RLS (Outdoors RV)
Go Cougs!

fj12ryder
Explorer II
Explorer II
Sounds like one of those deals where everything goes great...until it doesn't.
Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

apr67
Explorer
Explorer
Big Katuna wrote:
I didn’t read that he was charging them to show them, he was renting it to them for the weekend and would show them how RV St stems work.

Not a bad idea. We tailgated UF games for years.

I’ll bet you could get $750 a weekend, more for big games.

Yep, you got it.

Rented it last week (I only took delivery of the RV 2 days before I rented it). It was used for the judges to meet at the Red Hills Horse Trials. A little sand on the tires, and a little change in my pocket. Already have it rented for 2 football games.
2017 Thor Hurricane 34J
Gone-2014 Chevy Express 3500
Gone-2016 Jayco White Hawk 32DSBH
Gone-2013 Keystone Bullet 294BHS
Gone-2007 National SurfSide 34DE
Gone-2006 ForestRiver Sunseeker 2900LTD
Gone-1994 Fleetwood PaceArrow
Gone-1978 Kit RoadRanger

RAS43
Explorer III
Explorer III
So, have you actually rented out your motorhome at this point? I ask because in another thread you ask about insurance from a company who rents out RV's.

Tom_in_Tulsa
Explorer
Explorer
We rent out our class A when we are not using it. Outdoorsy charges the renter extra for the insurance, and it is full coverage. They also screen the renter.We want it to cover our expenses and depreciation. So far so good.We have not had any problems except for thing going wrong in the RV, but nothing major.
2008 Forest River Georgetown 357; F53 Triton V10 gas engine; Alison trans.
Onan 5000 generator

chasloew
Explorer
Explorer

Would you rent your new(er) car or truck?

If you need -or- want to rent your RV you have a Junk Wish - 'cause that's what you will end up with.. 😞

~
Please tell me about your experiences and if you can give a breakdown of income vs. expenses, it would be great! Which agencies did you use?

ol_Bombero-JC
Explorer
Explorer
chasloew wrote:

We’d like to get unbiased advice and experiences -- both pro and con -- from those who have actually used these services. We’re in a mid-sized city in the Midwest. We think a small used motorhome that sleeps at least 4 might be good, but want to know what:( makes the most sense financially and what potential there is. If you've done this, we'd really like to hear from you.

Thanks, Charlie

Would you rent your new(er) car or truck?

If you need -or- want to rent your RV you have a Junk Wish - 'cause that's what you will end up with.. 😞

~

IAMICHABOD
Explorer II
Explorer II
If you really want to try this I might suggest buying a Former Rental.

You will get a well maintained RV that has been that market and most likely built for it. They also are reasonably priced.

Having a Former Rental myself I always try to talk to other owners when I see them,what I have found in many instances is that they have rented them from people that own them and put them in places like RV Share and Outdoorsy.

One couple I talked to said the person that they rented from had 4 Majestics,they are Former Rentals,that they listed with RV Share.

Just another way to look at this idea of yours. Good Luck.
2006 TIOGA 26Q CHEVY 6.0 WORKHORSE VORTEC
Former El Monte RV Rental
Retired Teamster Local 692
Buying A Rental Class C

chasloew
Explorer
Explorer
fj12ryder wrote:
I don't think you can compare long-term renters, i.e., house or apartment renters, to one-time renters that you would rent an RV to. If you're going to compare I think you need to be looking at motel/hotel room renters. Plus RV's are terribly fragile when it comes to their infrastructure like plumbing and electronics.

If you have little money or care invested in the RV, then renting it out is not a big deal. OTOH if you've spent $40,000 on your RV and you plan on traveling in it, renting it out is a recipe for disappointment. Especially if you can't do a lot of handy man and repair stuff yourself.

Thanks, You make a good point about long-term renters! My neighbor rents an apartment on air-b-n-b and loves it. If I had a vacancy, I would try that also. I would rather travel in an RV that I had rented out and maintained than rent one someone else had maintained.

fj12ryder
Explorer II
Explorer II
I don't think you can compare long-term renters, i.e., house or apartment renters, to one-time renters that you would rent an RV to. If you're going to compare I think you need to be looking at motel/hotel room renters. Plus RV's are terribly fragile when it comes to their infrastructure like plumbing and electronics.

If you have little money or care invested in the RV, then renting it out is not a big deal. OTOH if you've spent $40,000 on your RV and you plan on traveling in it, renting it out is a recipe for disappointment. Especially if you can't do a lot of handy man and repair stuff yourself.
Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

chasloew
Explorer
Explorer
"I had rental property once and that was worst experience of my life..
With FEW small exeptions,
Renters dont care about others property
Never would rent or let even my best friend use my RV."

I've had rental properties for years. Yes, I had a few problems, but now I have renters who help shovel the snow, mow the lawn, weed the garden and take out trash. I try to treat them well and they treat me well in return.

free_radical
Explorer
Explorer
chasloew wrote:

Thanks, Charlie

I had rental property once and that was worst experience of my life..
With FEW small exeptions,
Renters dont care about others property
Never would rent or let even my best friend use my RV.

Big_Katuna
Explorer II
Explorer II
I didn’t read that he was charging them to show them, he was renting it to them for the weekend and would show them how RV St stems work.

Not a bad idea. We tailgated UF games for years.

I’ll bet you could get $750 a weekend, more for big games.
My Kharma ran over my Dogma.

toedtoes
Explorer II
Explorer II
magicbus wrote:
He's going to "show them" how to use the lights, toilet, the stereo and maybe the grill. They aren't going anywhere and they aren't dumping the tanks, it is a home base for tailgating.

Dave

Ah, so he wasn't serious about charging them to "show them" these things in that sense. My joke meter blanked out on that one... 🙂
1975 American Clipper RV with Dodge 360 (photo in profile)
1998 American Clipper Fold n Roll Folding Trailer
Both born in Morgan Hill, CA to Irv Perch (Daddy of the Aristocrat trailers)