cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ok How about a front mnt Cummins Allegro Bay versus ????

lincolnmatthews
Explorer
Explorer
Talked to a dealer today about an older Allegro Bay with the front Cummins for about the same amount of $$ as a Southwind same yr with a V-10? Whats the informed opinions about the Allegro? I assume its the 5.7 Cummins which is a pretty good package, I like the Allegro Breeze but not the Maxforce engine. Of course if $$$$ was not a problem, yes I would go with a rear Cummins coach but do want to keep it small.
Thanks you guys for your opinions!
10 REPLIES 10

carringb
Explorer
Explorer
Power specs are about the same as your '99 dodge. So imagine hauling another 10,000 pounds behind your Lance, as that combined weight should be pretty close to the tiffin.
2000 Ford E450 V10 VAN! 450,000+ miles
2014 ORV really big trailer
2015 Ford Focus ST

Bruce_Brown
'07? Please disregard my earlier post. I had forgotten about FRED.
There are 24 hours in every day - it all depends on how you choose to use them.
Bruce & Jill Brown
2008 Kountry Star Pusher 3910

lincolnmatthews
Explorer
Explorer
It is an 07 Tiffin, yes a 5.9 not a 5.7 as earlier stated. I should have known this as I drive a 24 valve a 99 with a Lance on it. It is loud but we actually like the noise (its does get quieter as it warms up at hwy speeds)
I assume the MH would be about the same as our old pickup, can't drive it though as it is in CA & I'm in WA. We thought about flying down but its snowing out now, so I will probably bag buying anything right now.
I just need to drive a bunch of them, but will probably end up with a Southwind (I like the floor plans & cabinets) with a Ford gas pot.
Thanks you guys

tropical36
Explorer
Explorer
Want a diesel?....., story short, get one, that's mounted in the rear.
No matter what the pros and cons are, for owning a DP, not many ever go back to a puller and we're not about to either.
"We are often so caught up in our destination that we forget to appreciate the journey."

07 Revolution LE 40E_Spartan MM_06 400HP C9 CAT_Allison 3000.

Dinghy_2010 Jeep Wrangler JKU ISLANDER.

1998 36ft. National Tropi-Cal Chevy Model 6350 (Sold)

bwg
Explorer
Explorer
Went from an 03 Itasca Suncriuser on a Workhorse chassis (35 ft.)to an 08 Tiffin ( 37ft) on a Fred chassis. It was a positive change, certainly not a diesel pusher, but much better power and drivability. Milage went from 6.5/7 mpg in the Itasca to 9.5/10 mpg with the Tiffin, both hand calculated over 30 thousand miles driven in each.
A little noisier than the workhorse chassis was, but their are several threads on quieting them down without breaking the bank.
Maintainence cost a shade higher than a gas rig, but weigh that against having an effective exhaust brake along with the Cummins diesel/Allison combination.
I would definitely do it again if I was in the market as the complexity of a DP doesn't appeal to me
If you seriously are looking at the Tiffin, depending on year, check it over very carefully for recalls and repair of any factory problems.

Bruce_Brown
azdryheat wrote:
I've driven a few Allegro Bays and those engines are loud.

And slow.

Years ago we looked at one. The salesman was a life long friend, he strongly suggested we not even consider it. I've never heard and/or read anything to believe he steered us wrong.
There are 24 hours in every day - it all depends on how you choose to use them.
Bruce & Jill Brown
2008 Kountry Star Pusher 3910

wildmanbaker
Explorer
Explorer
Take it for a ride yourself and see if is offensive to you. The 24 valve is quite the rattler, but under load it quiets down. You did not state what year, but if it is a 6.7, its a great engine. There are some advantages to a front diesel engine, 30+ HP that's not running the fan for cooling, hydraulic power to the front for brakes ad steering. Not to mention the engine driven AC. The one plus nobody wants to admit is the heat is in the front, not under the bed.
Wildmanbaker

tropical36
Explorer
Explorer
lincolnmatthews wrote:
Talked to a dealer today about an older Allegro Bay with the front Cummins for about the same amount of $$ as a Southwind same yr with a V-10? Whats the informed opinions about the Allegro? I assume its the 5.7 Cummins which is a pretty good package, I like the Allegro Breeze but not the Maxforce engine. Of course if $$$$ was not a problem, yes I would go with a rear Cummins coach but do want to keep it small.
Thanks you guys for your opinions!

I'd go with the Ford and if nothing else, it should be easier to sell, when ready. I see no real advantage for having a Diesel up front, but can go on and on about what's wrong with it. Guessing it's under powered, too...
"We are often so caught up in our destination that we forget to appreciate the journey."

07 Revolution LE 40E_Spartan MM_06 400HP C9 CAT_Allison 3000.

Dinghy_2010 Jeep Wrangler JKU ISLANDER.

1998 36ft. National Tropi-Cal Chevy Model 6350 (Sold)

azdryheat
Explorer
Explorer
I've driven a few Allegro Bays and those engines are loud.
2013 Chevy 3500HD CC dually
2014 Voltage 3600 toy hauler
2019 RZR 1000XP TRE

ScottG
Nomad
Nomad
Probably a 5.9L Cummins but what year?