cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Towing 4 door jeep

Brandon327
Explorer
Explorer
I am looking at getting a motorhome. I want to tow a 4 door Jeep. Will a gasser do it or do I need to find a diesel pusher or super c?
2013 gmc 3500 hd cc Drw 4x4
2016 Dutchmen voltage 3990
12 REPLIES 12

Horsedoc
Explorer II
Explorer II
We are down sizing from a 40' 425 HP Pusher to a 40 gasser Newmar handicap version. We tow a '13 Wrangler unlimited with the diesel and just towed the same Jeep back to Athens, Ga with the Canyon Star. It certainly is not the diesel in torque and such, but it did get the job done adequately. Not nearly as quiet and comfortable while driving as the diesel, but the handicap lift and facilities will more than make up for the discomfort while driving a few hours.
We were on I-40 and running 60-65 with no problems.
horsedoc
2008 Damon Essence
2013 Jeep Sahara Unlimited
Blue Ox tow

twodownzero
Explorer
Explorer
I would look long and hard at the total weight of the motorhomes you're looking at and compare them to the drivetrain. If the drivetrain comes in a pickup, get an idea of what kind of GCWR that engine and gearing combination would be good for in a pickup truck.

If you're talking about a 20k lb motorhome and pulling a 4,000+ lb Jeep with a drivetrain combination that is rated for 25k GCWR, you will know you're at the overall limit of that drivetrain combination. On the other hand, if a truck of similar year has a 35k lb GCWR and your camper weighs 15k, then you know (assuming you're not overloading the motorhome some other way) that you'll have plenty of power to spare.

I'm sure they publish GVWR and GCWR numbers for motorhomes as well, so use that as your guide. If you don't have enough towing capacity, or are at the limits of the drivetrain's capability, then you'll know it won't tow that great.

Heisenberg
Explorer
Explorer
No problem with the later model V-10. I tow in New Mexico and Colorado and my truck weighs 4362.
2013 Winnebago Sightseer
2017 Colorado

FIRE_UP
Explorer
Explorer
Brandon327 wrote:
I am looking at getting a motorhome. I want to tow a 4 door Jeep. Will a gasser do it or do I need to find a diesel pusher or super c?

Brandon,
Well, as you can see and read, all kinds of opinions. It's good that you ask as, much of what you're reading is from experience. Some, is "speculation" and some is just repeating what they've heard. In the last oh, maybe 35-37 years of RVing and Jeeping, we've owned, modified, altered and towed 9 different Jeeps, with FOUR different motorhomes. And 100% of those Jeeps have been setup for fairly extreme off roading. That means, lots of add-on steel for bumpers, side bars, racks, winches, more tools than some have in garages, air compressors, spare parts and more.

And that means, WEIGHT! We started out with a 23' Class C Dodge and a 440. Well, that was ok but, weak. Then, moved to a 27' Class Class C with the 460. That was a great improvement. Then, moved to a '99 Fleetwood Bounder 34V with the V-10. To me, that was almost a drop in power but, none the less, a good coach and towed the Jeeps just fine.

Now, we have an '04 Itasca Horizon 36GD with the CAT C-7 330HP and it does just great. We've owned it now for almost 8 years and have put over 40K on it since we purchased it. We've towed three of those Jeeps with it. No doubt about it, the diesel out performs in general towing, i.e. take-off from stops, hills, grades, flat, and all, from ANY of the gassers we've owned. And, I'm running at max weight in that diesel.

Will a gasser do it for you, sure. Lots of worry warts worrying about a pound or two over any limit on here. Will it do it as good as say, the smaller diesels, i.e. 5.9 Cummins, or, C-7 CAT, NO! The amount of throttle pedal you use, for EVERY INCH OF DRIVING, from the time you equip your total setup, i.e. motorhome and Jeep and are pulling out for your first journey, to each and every destination, will be CONSIDERABLY more with a gasser than just about any diesel.

Now, which diesel you might ask? Well, you'll get the phone book in answers on that one. How old, you may ask? Again, you'll get an entourage of info, experience and BS too. There are many, many used, older diesels out there that are outstanding buys and, will work for your intended purpose very, very easily. And, many of those will have considerably low mileage. A good buddy of mine just recently purchased an '05 39' Winnebago Journey, 3-slide, with the CAT C-7 350HP and only 26,000 miles on it!!!!!!!

It's a very nice coach and well cared for. He pulls the same Jeep we do, a Jeep JKU Rubicon. Both of our Jeeps hover in the 4,800 lb. category. There will be a bit more maintenance if a diesel coach is acquired. Not a big deal at all. But, the many, many benefits of the diesel version, FAR OUT WAY the gasser units. MUCH, MUCH more quieter cabin area during driving, smoother, better and bigger brakes, EXHAUST or COMPRESSION brakes (depending on engine type and size), air suspension that lowers for easier entrance and exit during camping, and a whole lot more.

With a bit of patience, and, being ready at the right time to pounce upon a great deal, you can get a very, very nice deal on an older diesel that will work outstanding for you. Don't be afraid to drive and or, even fly to pick it up either. We've done it way more times than I care to admit. Good luck and have fun.
Scott
Scott and Karla
SDFD RETIRED
2004 Itasca Horizon, 36GD Slate Blue 330 CAT
2011 GMC Sierra 1500 Ext Cab 4x4 Toad
2008 Caliente Red LVL II GL 1800 Goldwing
KI60ND

Cider
Explorer
Explorer
Yep - the diesel will have more torque, at pulling grades than the gasser will. But, as others have said, there is more to the equation than gas vs diesel. 4 door jeeps, unless you buy the 2019 models, tend to be a bit heavy and can push the limits of both switch ratings and RV ratings. If you don't have a motorhome yet, that is the best place to start, and if it is a class C you're after - sort out what models come with diesel. I can tell you right off it is going toe primarily MBS Sprinters and some Super C's. I have a MBS 2400R that I tow a 2 dr JKS with and no issues. I have seen people towing 4 drs with the same rig, and I think they are asking for trouble as they are (probably) exceeding weight limits which could lead to some real warranty issues.
2017 Tiffin Allegro RED 33 AA
2020 JLUR
Roadmaster Baseplate
Sterling AT Tow Bar
Demco Air Force One Brake System

wildtoad
Explorer II
Explorer II
If you drive to the mountains either one will do the job, and most will do it slowly just as the truckers do. Make sure you get a good auxilary braking system for the Jeep. The gasser will be fairly loud going up the hills at it shifts into a lower gear or two or three.
Tom Wilds
Blythewood, SC
2016 Newmar Baystar Sport 3004
2015 Jeep Wrangler 2dr HT

Brandon327
Explorer
Explorer
I know you have to look at the towing capabilities of the hitch and gcw , gvwr amd such. My question is from a power stand point not capacity as ever rv is different. I donโ€™t want to buy a gasser and wish I would have went with a diesel.
2013 gmc 3500 hd cc Drw 4x4
2016 Dutchmen voltage 3990

rjstractor
Nomad
Nomad
There's a bit more to it than the type of fuel a motorhome burns. Look at the GCWR and hitch capacity of a particular motorhome and go from there. Lots of the newer class C motorhomes built on the Ford E450 with a gas engine have towing capacities of 7500 lbs and hitches to match.
2017 VW Golf Alltrack
2000 Ford F250 7.3

Y-Guy
Brandon327 wrote:

My 2011 specs out with a GVW of 4,390 lbs., my gas Winnebago with a V-10 has a max weight of 5,000 lbs. Knowing your weight specs is a good idea, but better yet take your Jeep to some scales and get a true weight.

There is little doubt that having a Diesel will give you more power when towing your Jeep but with all RVs take the time to check the specs and the tow capacity of the motorhome as well as the hitch rating.

Two Wire Fox Terriers; Sarge & Sully

2007 Winnebago Sightseer 35J

2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon

wildtoad
Explorer II
Explorer II
Brandon327 wrote:

Four door Jeeps are heavy and will be pushing the tow limit. If you have the option, get the diesel - either one. I donโ€™t have any trouble pulling my 2 dr.
Tom Wilds
Blythewood, SC
2016 Newmar Baystar Sport 3004
2015 Jeep Wrangler 2dr HT

Tom_Barb
Explorer
Explorer
Should get a diesel anyway .
2000 Newmar mountain aire 4081 DP, ISC/350 Allison 6 speed, Wrangler JL toad.

rk911
Explorer
Explorer
we tow a 2010 jeep liberty that weighs in at ~3800-lbs with our '16 ford gasser. haven't tried the rockies yet but otherwise it's fine. you're not gonna win any races going uphill but you'll get there.
Rich
Ham Radio, Sport Pilot, Retired 9-1-1 Call Center Administrator
'10 Jeep Liberty KK

& MaggieThe Wonder Beagle