cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How's the mountain driving...

goufgators
Explorer
Explorer
Planning to go basically NNW from Clayton, Ga. to Sweetwater, Tn.I know, according to the map, that some of that area is mountainous but was wondering if there are steep grades. I don't mind mountain driving but try to avoid long, steep climbs and descents. If you know the area, will appreciate your response and advice.
2017 Winnebago Sunstar (gas)
2005 Honda CRV Toad
Invisi-brake
13 REPLIES 13

doxiemom11
Explorer II
Explorer II
We use Mountain Directory West or East for mountain areas.

Supercharged
Explorer
Explorer
goufgators wrote:
Planning to go basically NNW from Clayton, Ga. to Sweetwater, Tn.I know, according to the map, that some of that area is mountainous but was wondering if there are steep grades. I don't mind mountain driving but try to avoid long, steep climbs and descents. If you know the area, will appreciate your response and advice.

All mountains east of Mississippi River are baby hills. Come to Colo. or Utah.
So big a world, so little time to see.

Allworth
Explorer
Explorer
If in doubt go to the Federal Highway Administration website and look up the standards for design of each class of U.S or Interstate numbered roads.

I believe you will find 6% with a 7% exception to be correct for Interstates.

I believe it is 7% with a one mile limit and then 10% for the exception on numbered U.S routes. Runaway ramps are required on 7% or greater.

NEVER use a runaway ramp except in an extreme emergency. You will end up paying for two tow trucks and a bulldozer to come dig you out.

A
Formerly posting as "littleblackdog"
Martha, Allen, & Blackjack
2006 Chevy 3500 D/A LB SRW, RVND 7710
Previously: 2008 Titanium 30E35SA. Currently no trailer due to age & mobility problems. Very sad!
"Real Jeeps have round headlights"

Terryallan
Explorer II
Explorer II
rgatijnet1 wrote:
Terryallan wrote:
goufgators wrote:

IF you are planning on running interstate highways most of the way. Be advised. Interstates have a Max grade of I believe 7%. So you should never see anything steeper on the interstate. And on those max grades they have a slow lane up, and down.

Do remember going up is much easier than coming down. Be sure to gear down, let the engine do most of the braking, EVEN if that means going all the way down to 1st, or 2nd gear. Come down slow. You will be fine.

I believe that is true of the East. Some of the Interstate Highways out West can a little steeper than that.

Actually I was wrong (looked it up) The standard max grade is 6% with 7% exceptions for mountain highways with a speedlimit of under 60 MPH. there is one in Vale, one in Texas. NC has several at 6%. From all I found, 7 is the max on interstates.

However once off the interstate, the grades get much steeper. In the west, and in the East. Some in the Blue Ridge MTs are more than 10% as are some in the Rockies. But generally those are pretty twisty, and have low speed limits
Terry & Shay
Coachman Apex 288BH.
2013 F150 XLT Off Road
5.0, 3.73
Lazy Campers

rgatijnet1
Explorer III
Explorer III
Terryallan wrote:
goufgators wrote:

IF you are planning on running interstate highways most of the way. Be advised. Interstates have a Max grade of I believe 7%. So you should never see anything steeper on the interstate. And on those max grades they have a slow lane up, and down.

Do remember going up is much easier than coming down. Be sure to gear down, let the engine do most of the braking, EVEN if that means going all the way down to 1st, or 2nd gear. Come down slow. You will be fine.

I believe that is true of the East. Some of the Interstate Highways out West can a little steeper than that.

Terryallan
Explorer II
Explorer II
goufgators wrote:

Terry & Shay
Coachman Apex 288BH.
2013 F150 XLT Off Road
5.0, 3.73
Lazy Campers

Dick_B
Explorer
Explorer
or Mountain Directory East.
Dick_B
2003 SunnyBrook 27FKS
2011 3/4 T Chevrolet Suburban
Equal-i-zer Hitch
One wife, two electric bikes (both Currie Tech Path+ models)

Johno02
Explorer
Explorer
with a gasser, you should hot have any problems.. Sure you won't run up and down hills at or above the speedlimits, but we have driven all over eastern tennessee and further north with no problems. Just don't push it too hard, and let it shift down and do its thing. We have gone across from west to east and back several times, I-24, I-40, and a lot other small roads, with no difficulty. But if the road changes from pavement to gravel or dirt, start looking for a place to turn around. Those hills are a lot harder to back down than drive up.
Noel and Betty Johnson (and Harry)

2005 GulfStream Ultra Supreme, 1 Old grouch, 1 wonderful wife, and two silly poodles.

dodge_guy
Explorer
Explorer
Nothing of anything to really worry about. Yes there are some grades but nothing bad. I think you would be more concerned with tighter turns off the main highways.
Wife Kim
Son Brandon 17yrs
Daughter Marissa 16yrs
Dog Bailey

12 Forest River Georgetown 350TS Hellwig sway bars, BlueOx TrueCenter stabilizer

13 Ford Explorer Roadmaster Stowmaster 5000, VIP Tow>
A bad day camping is
better than a good day at work!

rgatijnet1
Explorer III
Explorer III
HWY 68 is the scenic route through that part of TN. It is a great road altho it is narrow at times with a few curves. Really a nice drive, with lots of sights along the way. We drove HWY68 many times in our RV since we own a cabin that fronts on HWY68 in Coker Creek, TN.

Ivylog
Explorer III
Explorer III
The route above is what I’d use taking 294 to 68. Both of those are a little narrow in places and if there is additional paving on the inside of the curve slowdown as it will be a sharp turn. No long climbs or decents.
This post is my opinion (free advice). It is not intended to influence anyone's judgment nor do I advocate anyone do what I propose.
Sold 04 Dynasty to our son after 14 great years.
Upgraded with a 08 HR Navigator 45’...

Bill_Satellite
Explorer II
Explorer II
The Elevation Profile on Google Earth is great. As you can see, there are a couple of steep grades along the way but none of them are very long. That top red box shows the actual elevation so you can scroll along the route and see exactly what's ahead on the trip.
What I post is my 2 cents and nothing more. Please don't read anything into my post that's not there. If you disagree, that's OK.
Can't we all just get along?

Airdaile
Explorer
Explorer
Get the Eastern Mountain Guide. Shows the grades on all the truck routes.

Also, Google Earth has an elevation feature. Set a route and right click on the blue line. Select elevation. You can cursor along the elevation and see on the route where the highest pass and steepest grades are.

Here's what your route looks like.