cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Leaving a trailer year round in the US.

Easy_four
Explorer
Explorer
We are thinking of leaving our Canadian registered trailer in Florida year round.
Is this possible ? I know I can get insurance on the trailer, I'm not sure if it has to registered
in Florida or if this allowed.

Thanks
13 REPLIES 13

joebedford
Nomad II
Nomad II
Easy four wrote:
joebedford wrote:
How are you going to get insurance?

I have spoken to an insurance agent and they confirmed with Progressive that the trailer could be insured in Florida.
What I,m not sure on if the trailer has to be registered in Florida or can we leave the current
Ontario plates on the trailer.
Please let me know when you get the answer to that question.

Gulfcoast
Explorer
Explorer
Anyone can store a trailer where I keep mine, in a very secure gaited/fenced area.. All you need is a name and $50 a month.
RV'ing since 1960
Dodge Cummins Diesel
Mega Cab
Jayco Travel Trailer

Easy_four
Explorer
Explorer
joebedford wrote:

I have spoken to an insurance agent and they confirmed with Progressive that the trailer could be insured in Florida.
What I,m not sure on if the trailer has to be registered in Florida or can we leave the current
Ontario plates on the trailer.

joebedford
Nomad II
Nomad II
The border guy asked twice when we crossed into USA in December if everything was going back with us. We answered honestly and said everything. I suspect if we had said we're leaving our 5er in Florida, it would have become a proverbial big deal.

A lot of people talk about we my friend did this or that and it's fine. There's lots of stuff people do and (mostly) get away with it: smuggle, overstay 180 days, etc. Then they whine when they get caught.

If we leave our 5er, it's going to stay registered in Ontario. It seems it's no problem to get insurance on Florida if the 5er is registered here. Not sure if it's registered in Ontario. Can't get a straight answer (yet).

BTW, we bought the 5er here in Florida.

jim1521
Explorer
Explorer
JaxDad wrote:
If the trailer was Americans registered it would be no issue, itโ€™s not though.

I think the part folks are skipping over here is that the reason you can cross the border without paying any taxes or duty is because of an exemption that โ€œpersonal possessionsโ€ can cross the border free because they will LEAVING with that person, just like your luggage or anything else you brought, I.E. cameras, phone, jewelry.

If it doesnโ€™t leave the country with the tourist when they leave, itโ€™s considered to be IMPORTED into the US.

Likewise, itโ€™s technically illegal for a Canadian insurance company to sell insurance in the US as theyโ€™re not licensed to do so. That might a claim a ticklish matter.

Not true. My sister-in-law has a winter home in Zypherhills, FL. They have plenty of personal things things that they brought from home in Fort Erie (clothes, dishes, etc).

Works exactly the same way when we take stuff to our Fort Erie home from down here.

jim1521
Explorer
Explorer
This article sums it up pretty well. Not illegal; you just need to make sure youโ€™ve got it insured here with a US company.

https://www.primelinkinsurance.ca/blog/how-insure-rv-or-motorhome-when-you-take-it-south

If you leave your Canadian license tags on it - and theyโ€™re current - then no one is going to question whether youโ€™re โ€œimportingโ€ it into the US. Itโ€™s only here temporarily - no definition of โ€œtemporaryโ€. You fully intend to take it back home - eventually. Keep it tagged Canadian and youโ€™re fine.

BarbaraOK
Explorer
Explorer
Lots of people own property located in other countries. Loads of Canadians snowbirds own Park Models in our park. They get insurance through US companies. Others own cars that are left in AZ year round - nothing says you have to be a resident of the state in order to own/register car that spends all year in that state.

Barb & Dave O'Keeffe - full-timing since 2006

Figment II

(2002 Alpine 36 MDDS) ๐Ÿ™‚
2018 Ford C-Max HYBRID
[purple]FMCA - F337834, SKP #90761[/purple]
Our Blog

joebedford
Nomad II
Nomad II

JaxDad
Explorer III
Explorer III
If the trailer was Americans registered it would be no issue, itโ€™s not though.

I think the part folks are skipping over here is that the reason you can cross the border without paying any taxes or duty is because of an exemption that โ€œpersonal possessionsโ€ can cross the border free because they will LEAVING with that person, just like your luggage or anything else you brought, I.E. cameras, phone, jewelry.

If it doesnโ€™t leave the country with the tourist when they leave, itโ€™s considered to be IMPORTED into the US.

Likewise, itโ€™s technically illegal for a Canadian insurance company to sell insurance in the US as theyโ€™re not licensed to do so. That might a claim a ticklish matter.

Fizz
Explorer
Explorer
Found this for you.

Canadian storing rv in USA

scbwr
Explorer II
Explorer II
It can be done! However, I wouldn't want to leave something stored outside during the summer months if at all possible. The hot Florida sun does a real number on RV's. I would want to find sheltered storage for the months when you won't be using it if you plan to be a snowbird i.e. staying in the unit for a good chunk of the winter and then heading back to Canada for the summer.

If you don't plan on traveling, consider looking for a "permanent" place in Florida. There are a lot of RVs that have been converted with the addition of permanent roofs, added sunrooms, updated aluminum walls, etc. Take some time to look at all your options.
2012 Newmar Bay Star 3302
Blue Ox Avail
BrakeBuddy Advantage
2015 Malibu

"Get busy living, or get busy dying."
Andy Dufresne, The Shawshank Redemption

jim1521
Explorer
Explorer
Yes, you should be able to leave your RV here in FL. It does NOT have to be registered in FL, but it must have a current/valid registration from your province. Insurance too. Many RV parks down here have storage lots at their sites, and trailers are left here year round in storage.

JaxDad
Explorer III
Explorer III
Lots of folks do it, but itโ€™s not legal.

Be sure to check that your insurance company will cover it if itโ€™s LEFT in Florida, ins. coโ€™s are always looking for a reason to deny a claim, illegal storage and nobody keeping an eye on it would probably be high on the list of reasons.

BTW, I think we only live about 10 minutes apart. Small world eh?