cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Portable RV GPS.....Recommendations?

drumz
Explorer
Explorer
While looking on Amazon for a portable RV GPS, I noticed a lot of bad reviews for Magellan devices......so I thought I'd come to you guys to see what device seems to be the most popular. I'm looking for one with Lifetime maps for our Class C.
14 REPLIES 14

eflyersteve
Explorer
Explorer
Happy with my phone and Google maps. Accepts voice commands ('hey Google, is there a cracker barrel along my route?') and re-routes me based on real time traffic conditions.

I can see this being an issue for those without a cell phone though.
2019 Coachmen Freedom Express 204RD
2011 F150 Super Crew FX4, 5.0L V8
Husky Centerline WD Hitch

MNtundraRet
Navigator
Navigator
I have always used Garmin since the E-map. I purchased a Garmin NUVI 2589LMT a few years ago.

The "lifetime maps" offer is a joke. It lasted abut a year. The update program recommended getting a micro-memory chip for more space. I never saw another map update after wasting money on the chip.

The latest problem was a update to version 8.80 for Garmin Express installed on 11/23/18. Now the program fails to "backup" saved memory on the GPS. Hopefully; there will be a new update and "fix".

I can live with that for the time being along with the map program choosing obvious bad routes, and roads being worked on. Blame there might be states, counties, etc. not sending date to map makers.

Right now the unit works best on our E-bikes which don't require that kind of updating.
Mark & Jan "Old age & treachery win over youth & enthusiasm"
2003 Fleetwood Jamboree 29

Bill_Satellite
Explorer II
Explorer II
Dollar for dollar, the best buy in a GPS is your phone and Google Maps or Waze or a combination of both. There simply is not enough RV specific information that will be used in your RV GPS to justify the high costs verses these free options.
What I post is my 2 cents and nothing more. Please don't read anything into my post that's not there. If you disagree, that's OK.
Can't we all just get along?

MarkTwain
Explorer
Explorer
whjco wrote:
prichardson wrote:
Question for those with current Garmins. How is the audio volume? I have an older model and the voice is weak on the unit, but it has the ability to connect to the vehicle stereo system which solves that problem. From what I have been able to determine the newer units do not have that ability.

I rarely put my volume over 60% It has plenty of volume.

X1, increase the volume when I get close to my destination which requires a series of turns, off ramps, lane changes. Make sure you keep the Garmin plugged in or the controls tend not to work correctly i.e. brightness of screen. The Deznel truck Garmin is the best I have used and is my 3rd. Garmin.

whjco
Explorer
Explorer
prichardson wrote:
Question for those with current Garmins. How is the audio volume? I have an older model and the voice is weak on the unit, but it has the ability to connect to the vehicle stereo system which solves that problem. From what I have been able to determine the newer units do not have that ability.

I rarely put my volume over 60% It has plenty of volume.
Bill J., Lexington, KY
2006 Starcraft 2500RKS 25' Travel Trailer
2015 Ram 2500 Big Horn 6.7 Cummins.

prichardson
Explorer
Explorer

whjco
Explorer
Explorer
wildtoad wrote:
Garmin 770. Lifetime maps, updateable over WiFi ( no computer required ), large screen.

x2. I'll add that you can download Garmin Basecamp for free from Garmin's web site. Once installed on your computer, you can use Basecamp to test and develop routes and then upload them directly into your Garmin.

Bill J.,
Lexington, KY
Bill J., Lexington, KY
2006 Starcraft 2500RKS 25' Travel Trailer
2015 Ram 2500 Big Horn 6.7 Cummins.

chiefneon
Explorer
Explorer
Howdy!

I quit buying stand alone gpsโ€™s years ago. We fulltime and use Co-Pilot RV app for our gps. I use it on my phone and tablet. You get a lot more use out of a phone or tablet than a stand alone gps.

Co-Pilot RV GPS app

โ€œHappy Trailsโ€
Chiefneon

Cougarnewbie
Explorer
Explorer
We have Rand McNally Good Sam. From Yellowstone to D.C. and several points in between it works for us.
May All Your On Ramps be Downhill

MarkTwain
Explorer
Explorer
wildtoad wrote:
Garmin 770. Lifetime maps, updateable over WiFi ( no computer required ), large screen.

XXXXX! can't beat this Garmin. Voice command allows you to make changes while you are driving with just with your voice. i.e different locations, nearest shopping stores, fuel stations, voice volume, brightness of screen and many more functions. Get life time upgrades.

lhenry8113
Explorer
Explorer
Very happy with Magellen RoadMate-7" screen
2017 Chev/CLass C Forest River Forester 2251 SLE

A Positive Attitude May Not Solve All Your Problems But It Will Annoy Enough People To Make It Worth The Effort.
H Albright

downtheroad
Explorer
Explorer
Real happy with our Garmin GPS's over the years. We don't have the RV specific model so can't speak to that one.

Here is their RV model......shop around for best deal.

Garmin RV....LINK
"If we couldn't laugh we would all go insane."

Arctic Fox 25Y
GMC Duramax
Blue Ox SwayPro

2oldman
Explorer
Explorer
Some gps posts
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman

wildtoad
Explorer II
Explorer II
Tom Wilds
Blythewood, SC
2016 Newmar Baystar Sport 3004
2015 Jeep Wrangler 2dr HT