cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

15k BTU on 2200 watt generator

philh
Explorer II
Explorer II
Will easy start allow me to run AC on 2200 watt generator?

I see Yamaha has a brand new 2200 generator that looks fantastic. How are the Y's compared to the Honda's?

How bad are the cheap Sam's Club units? They are higher rated then I expected to see.
86 REPLIES 86

96Bounder30E
Explorer
Explorer
I guess this conversation has run its course.... Good night!
Eric
96 Bounder 30E-F53(460)
stock Ford intake w/K&N air filter
used Thorley headers
new Banks resonator, muffler, tail pipe and 4" polished SS exhaust tip

TomG2
Explorer
Explorer
otrfun wrote:
Used to own a CBR600f4i. Words can't describe how awesome it sounded pushing DOHC's at 12,000++ rpm's!

You win. Boring now.

otrfun
Explorer II
Explorer II
TomG2 wrote:
otrfun wrote:
It's how people "lighten up". You may want to give it try yourself.

Have a good one--lol!
Some folks have to have the last word. You got it. LOL!

Bringing up your experience with 12,000 rpm engines was meant to impress and it sure did. LOL Not.
I believe you're allowing your emotions to cloud your reading comprehension, TomG2.

For the record, drsteve is the poster who brought up and discussed the 12,000 rpm engines first, I didn't.

Again, please try to have a good one--lol!

TomG2
Explorer
Explorer
otrfun wrote:
It's how people "lighten up". You may want to give it try yourself.

Have a good one--lol!

Some folks have to have the last word. You got it. LOL!

Bringing up your experience with 12,000 rpm engines was meant to impress and it sure did. LOL Not.

otrfun
Explorer II
Explorer II
TomG2 wrote:
otrfun wrote:
TomG2, I simply responded in-kind to your glowing comment about a 12,000 rpm OHC generator! Don't be a party-pooper and drop your RPM's back down to 3,600-5,000--lol!.
Some people get sarcasm, and some don't. When you started talking 12,000 rpm engines, I made a joke. Sorry that you didn't get it. NOBODY seriously promoted 12,000 rpm RV generators. Lighten up.
Lighten up?! LOL!! Seriously?!

Of course, I got your joke and sarcasm, TomG2. Have you not noticed all the "lol's" in my posts to you?! LOL means Laughing Out Loud. It's how people "lighten up". You may want to give it try yourself.

Have a good one--lol!

TomG2
Explorer
Explorer
otrfun wrote:
TomG2, I simply responded in-kind to your glowing comment about a 12,000 rpm OHC generator! Don't be a party-pooper and drop your RPM's back down to 3,600-5,000--lol!.

Some people get sarcasm, and some don't. When you started talking 12,000 rpm engines, I made a joke. Sorry that you didn't get it. NOBODY seriously promoted 12,000 rpm RV generators. Lighten up.

otrfun
Explorer II
Explorer II
marcsbigfoot20b27 wrote:
1990 to 1995 corvette ZR1 had the LT5 DOHC engine. It is literally stuffed into the corvette engine bay. Pushrod engines are more narrow and not as tall in general.
Yup, the valvetrain on a DOHC engine takes up a lot of space with the cams sitting up-high, above the valves. An OHV, pushrod engine has the cam situated down in the block reducing the size of the heads and valve assembly significantly.

marcsbigfoot20b
Explorer
Explorer
otrfun wrote:
twodownzero wrote:
otrfun wrote:
No, there's nothing wrong per se with an OHV engine. OHV is fine for lower RPM applications like the lower revving, high torque truck applications you speak of. However, you'll rarely see OHV in high-rpm applications. An OHC design has a lot less moving mass in the valve train assembly (vs. an OHV design) which allows for more efficient, accurate control of the valves at higher rpm's. This is the reason why the vast majority of cars on the road on the road today use an OHC configuration. If OHV was a better design I assure you car manufacturers would use it---but, the fact is they don't.
You mean like America's flagship sports car, the Corvette, the best bargain in its performance class anywhere on Earth, which has been OHV for almost all of its existence, including what are unquestionably the best performing Corvettes ever made (those in the last ~20-25 years?

There might be hypothetical benefits to OHC, but they sure don't seem to show themselves in real life.
I was waiting for someone to find a loophole or two--lol! Congratulations! Granted, GM may feel there are no advantages to using OHC in the Corvette. However, common sense says the other 98% of cars (to include exotics) on the road that do have an OHC configuration, were not the result of manufacturers and their engineers being hoodwinked into using it for "hypothetical benefits"--lol! If you're saying they were hoodwinked, it would make for one helluva conspiracy theory---would love to hear about it.

1990 to 1995 corvette ZR1 had the LT5 DOHC engine.
It is literally stuffed into the corvette engine bay. Pushrod engines are more narrow and not as tall in general.

otrfun
Explorer II
Explorer II
TomG2 wrote:
otrfun wrote:
TomG2 wrote:
Now we know how a 2,000 watt generator can run these big air conditioners. Crank them up to 12,000 rpm. OHC models only.
Good idea! Used to own a CBR600f4i. Words can't describe how awesome it sounded pushing DOHC's at 12,000++ rpm's! If you really like rpm's, try a turbine generator. They absolutely and literally scream!
We are impressed, but hardly germane to a discussion about RV generators which generally max out at about 5,000 rpm and many at 3,600 rpm.

TomG2
Explorer
Explorer
otrfun wrote:
TomG2 wrote:
Now we know how a 2,000 watt generator can run these big air conditioners. Crank them up to 12,000 rpm. OHC models only.
Good idea! Used to own a CBR600f4i. Words can't describe how awesome it sounded pushing DOHC's at 12,000++ rpm's! If you really like rpm's, try a turbine generator. They absolutely and literally scream!

We are impressed, but hardly germane to a discussion about RV generators which generally max out at about 5,000 rpm and many at 3,600 rpm.

otrfun
Explorer II
Explorer II
drsteve wrote:
But at the same time, Chevy engineers get 650 HP and 650 lb-ft of torque out of a pushrod activated small block V8 that passes emissions specs and will run for many thousands of miles, even if the owner has a lead foot.
When they engineered this engine, no doubt they knew going in they were constrained to lower RPM's due to the OHV design and designed it accordingly. Based just on the even up HP/torque numbers (650/650) it's obviously a relatively low revving engine. When the torque numbers get significantly higher than the HP, then the max rpm's drop accordingly (i.e., diesel). When the HP numbers become a multiple of the torque rating (F1), then you're talking massive rpm's and a mandatory DOHC configuration.

otrfun
Explorer II
Explorer II
TomG2 wrote:

drsteve
Explorer
Explorer
otrfun wrote:
drsteve wrote:
otrfun wrote:
3 tons wrote:
I can still recall the original cast iron, OHV Ford GT 40โ€™s of Le Mans fame walk away from the high revving, sure to win OHC Ferrariโ€™s
Yup, pretty interesting piece of racing history there. With that being said, got to wonder why modern-day Le Mans, Indy, and Formula One cars continue to use OHC engines.
High RPM power, of course. Modern F1 uses 1.6 liter V6 turbo engines, Indy 2.2 liter V6 turbos. Not much low end power to be had with that configuration, so they rev 'em to 12,000 RPM. No pushrod motor will do that.
Agree. The pushrods on an OHV motor would turn into a pretzel at 12,000 rpms--lol!

But at the same time, Chevy engineers get 650 HP and 650 lb-ft of torque out of a pushrod activated small block V8 that passes emissions specs and will run for many thousands of miles, even if the owner has a lead foot.
2006 Silverado 1500HD Crew Cab 2WD 6.0L 3.73 8600 GVWR
2018 Coachmen Catalina Legacy Edition 223RBS
1991 Palomino Filly PUP

TomG2
Explorer
Explorer