cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

AIRSTREAM - what makes them so expensive?

trx680
Explorer
Explorer
At the RV show yesterday I checked out the Airstream pull behinds. Of course they cost 3-4 times as much as many other camper of the same size. And this is nothing new, always expensive as far back as I can remember.

But WHY??
I'm sure the quality supersedes the others but are they that much better?
28 REPLIES 28

Clicck
Explorer
Explorer
KD4UPL wrote:
Airstreams are all metal, no wood to rot. They are welded and riveted so there's really nothing to ever work lose. They don't require caulking either. They are built basically like an automobile, or, really more like an airplane. That takes a lot more expensive materials and a lot more workmanship. Of course, they also last for many decades. I'd love to have one but I just can't spend the money.

The only thing aluminum are the exterior body panels. Your $50,000 + camper has cheap wood floors and a steel frame.

Spend some time on the airforums and you'll see they have just as many problems as a $10,000 camper.

Remember this is a Thor brand, airstreams are as cheap as everything else they build so as long as you are wowed by the history, the look, and nice interior then manufacturing, materials, and engineering don't matter.

Lantley
Nomad
Nomad
salem wrote:
Saw what I thought was a new AirStream when we were camping a few weeks ago. That thing was so bright and shiny I just new it had to be fresh from the factory. I talked to the owner and learned it was a 1971 model he had just had detailed. Pretty impressive. But, like others have said, out of my price range.

Your comments sum up why they are so expensive. They last a 1971 unit can be polished up to like new conditioned. Yes they still need to be maintained, but they are built to last.
None of our current units will last 50 years!
19'Duramax w/hips,12'Open Range,Titan Disc Brake
BD3,RV safepower,22" Blackstone
Ox Bedsaver,RV760 w/BC20,Glow Steps, Enduraplas25,Pedego
BakFlip,RVLock,5500 Onan LP,Prog.50A surge,Hughes autoformer
Porta Bote 8.0 Nissan,Sailun S637
Correct Trax,Splendide

profdant139
Explorer II
Explorer II
Maybe I missed something, but it has to be said: they are beautiful objects. Like a Maserati, or a Lear Jet, or a classic racing yacht. To some people, that is worth a lot of money, and there is no substitute for the way an Airstream looks.

Having said that, I am not one of those people. But those people are not irrational. Thank heavens we live in a country where folks are free to buy what they want.
2012 Fun Finder X-139 "Boondock Style" (axle-flipped and extra insulation)
2013 Toyota Tacoma Off-Road (semi-beefy tires and components)
Our trips -- pix and text
About our trailer
"A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single list."

2oldman
Explorer
Explorer
salem wrote:
Pretty impressive. But, like others have said, out of my price range.
I like honest answers.
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman

salem
Explorer
Explorer
Saw what I thought was a new AirStream when we were camping a few weeks ago. That thing was so bright and shiny I just new it had to be fresh from the factory. I talked to the owner and learned it was a 1971 model he had just had detailed. Pretty impressive. But, like others have said, out of my price range.

twodownzero
Explorer
Explorer
drsteve wrote:
Same reason a Harley-Davidson is so expensive.

I want to agree with this, but Harley-Davidsons do compete favorably with their competitors these days. In my opinion, Airstream does not. All RVs are poorly built. Airstreams look cool, but other than that, they offer nothing over any other RV and they are massively overpriced. They rely on the appearance of quality and their brand alone to justify the high price.

Ralph_Cramden
Explorer II
Explorer II
2012Coleman wrote:
No matter which brand is being talked about in these types of threads, the people who don't have that particular brand are always the ones to throw shade on it, or refer to one owned by a "friend".

In addition no matter which brand is being talked about in these types of threads, you always have the people who claim whatever brand they purchased is the best thing to ever come down the pike. They're afflicted with Branditis-Whatihavehastobebestosis.
Too many geezers, self appointed moderators, experts, and disappearing posts for me. Enjoy. How many times can the same thing be rehashed over and over?

RamRider
Explorer
Explorer
Our 25FB is our third TT, and we have no plans to upgrade again.
1) moderate weight and are easy and very stable to pull
2) interior comfort. the 25FB model and up have an inside width of 8 feet 1 inch. Which actually roomer then our former TT with a small slide out.
3) Adequate interior storage.
4) lots of big windows!
5) you can get optional 2nd ac and 50 amp (this is a must have for southern states)
6) Overall very solidly built
7) twin bed option for 25 FB and up (25FB are actually about 26 ft long)
27FB have walk around beds or twin beds (and are about 28 ft long)
๐Ÿ˜Ž bathroom and shower on opposite side of hall (most models)
the fuel economy while pulling is more consistent and not as affected by wind, I would not buy any tt in hopes of better fuel economy. Ours seems to be about 5-8% better on the average,

a few downsides limited underneath storage for large items.
Rear bedroom models have suicide doors - This would be models like 25RB etc
Interior pop rivets can pop out and need replacing - in our case one or two a year.
New cost can be high (understatement) we purchased ours used, but cost was still double new conventional TT.

We pull it around 10-12,000 miles per year; where ever we stop we always get comments and questions about our experience.
2014 Airstream 25FB
2016 Ram
Blue Ox Sway Pro
ARE Topper

2oldman
Explorer
Explorer
2012Coleman wrote:
.. the people who don't have that particular brand are always the ones to throw shade on it,...
..or call it overpriced or buying a brand...as if buying good quality is foolish.
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman

2012Coleman
Explorer
Explorer
No matter which brand is being talked about in these types of threads, the people who don't have that particular brand are always the ones to throw shade on it, or refer to one owned by a "friend".
Experience without good judgment is worthless; good judgment without experience is still good judgment!

2018 RAM 3500 Big Horn CTD
2018 Grand Design Reflection 303RLS

Bobbo
Explorer II
Explorer II
Terryallan wrote:
I don't get why any one that camped a lot would want one. They have much less room inside than a same size regular TT.
I guess it'a all about the name. Me, I don't buy anything based on name.

After 10 years with a Class C, we downsized to a 23' Airstream in 2017. Couldn't be happier.

We didn't buy it for roominess. When camping, we don't spend much time in it. We sleep, shower, and cook in it. Otherwise we are outside.

We bought it because we want it to last 20 years, then be handed down to one of our kids. With an Airstream, getting routine care, that is possible. I don't know of any other brand that can claim that.

As far as camping a lot, last year we left home on Aug 28 for a trip to the 4 corners area. We got back home on Oct 10. That is 6 weeks on the road.

This year, we will be doing a 6 week trip up the northeast coast. When we get home, we will stay there 2 or 3 weeks, then do a 6 week trip down the southeast coast. That will be 12 weeks on the road.

That does not include the once a month that we camp with a Good Sam Club (when we are not on the road).

Everyone has their own preferences. Personally, we don't understand getting a huge RV, limiting the places you can get into, when the idea is to get out and enjoy nature. However, we don't put down the people who prefer to carry every convenience they have at home when they camp. Some of the people in our club have 40+' diesel pushers. That is fine. For them.

What we wanted, and got, was a TT big enough to have a full bath, queen size walk around bed, full kitchen, and dinette big enough for two to eat at comfortably. More than that would have been a waste for us.
Bobbo and Lin
2017 F-150 XLT 4x4 SuperCab w/Max Tow Package 3.5l EcoBoost V6
2017 Airstream Flying Cloud 23FB

Atlee
Explorer
Explorer
No doubt they are of good quality. I'm sure better than most other trailers being built.

However, just because they are riveted, doesn't mean there isn't stuff that doesn't work loose.

Friend of mine who we RV a lot with bought a used 1991 34 ft long behemoth, triple axle model. Twice while we have been caravaning together to football games, we'd had to stop to fix some sheet metal, or rock shields that have come loose. One of the required tools he carries is a rivet gun.

So, in due course, even Airstreams have repair issues on structural components.

KD4UPL wrote:
Airstreams are all metal, no wood to rot. They are welded and riveted so there's really nothing to ever work lose. They don't require caulking either. They are built basically like an automobile, or, really more like an airplane. That takes a lot more expensive materials and a lot more workmanship. Of course, they also last for many decades. I'd love to have one but I just can't spend the money.
Erroll, Mary
2021 Coachmen Freedom Express 20SE
2014 F150 Supercab 4x4 w/ 8' box, Ecoboost & HD Pkg
Equal-i-zer Hitch

NWnative
Explorer
Explorer
I paid as much for my previous Class C Motorhome as I did for the Airstream. Fit and finish has been top notch and it's one of the most stable towing platforms out there due to low center of gravity and shape. There are more used Airstreams on the road than any other brand. Yes...they do require some maintenance and internal items can wear out however, they are also amongst the most customizable out there if you have the time and money. Been RV'ing for 30 years.....had a pop up, travel trailer, fifth wheel, Class C, and now the Airstream. I have no doubt it will outlast me......One of the best built and most durable RV's I have owned.
2019 Ford F250 Lariat CrewCab Short Bed 4x4 - 6.2 Gas w/4.30 Axle
2016 Airstream Flying Cloud 30RB / Blue Ox Sway Pro / Rock Tamers
2021 Mazda CX-9 Signature AWD

wildtoad
Explorer II
Explorer II
Because people will pay it.
Tom Wilds
Blythewood, SC
2016 Newmar Baystar Sport 3004
2015 Jeep Wrangler 2dr HT