cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

New Trailer traveler - light weight, single

Bluecatch9
Explorer
Explorer
Considering going full time with pulling a light, small, 16-18 foot trailer - something like the 2019 Gulf Stream Amerilite Ameri-Lite Super Lite 16BHC - I would be traveling for work in the sports field - I'll leave it at that for certain professional reasons. It will be just me in it only. I would likely stop in friends places on occasion - and seasonally visit (and work) up north visiting the kids houses. So no cost there. Plan to boon-dock quite a bit. But will need to dump tanks and refill water. Although it will be just one person using the bathroom - that is an important issue for me for health reasons.

Questions are:
1. How difficult is it to find dumping stations - and water refilling stations - and how expensive is it to dump and re-fill?
2. How bad will gas mileage suffer from pulling - even a light trailer - 2500-3500 lbs?
3. How do you keep the trailer from getting stolen - I assume there are hitch locks out there - and how to keep from getting broken into - I assume there are wireless gadgets with phone notifications. There will be many "venues" that will allow me to park there during the event - and even all day - but I assume tat over night will not be an option. Walmarts that are open 24hrs?
4. Renting a campsite every night is too costly and would make the whole endeavor impractical. But I'm thinking I would only need to park at a campground occasionally - Once per week? Once every 2 weeks perhaps? (One person)

Would like to hear thoughts from the veterans out there about how long I would be able to go between dumpings/refillings.

Thanks
20 REPLIES 20

Bluecatch9
Explorer
Explorer
That one sold - but that's OK since just started to look. I like those R-Pods also. My work is very active so once I get "home" - I need very little room.

Thanks for all the great advice.

Durb
Explorer
Explorer
Bluecatch9 wrote:
Thoughts? The decor scares me - but it could also show pride of ownership......what do you veterans think?

https://www.rvtrader.com/listing/2007-Cikira-Rv-Classic-Cruiser-16LB-5006272270

It shows areas of exterior skin delamination which generally means a leak and possibly other damage. The good news is you can save money on a trailer lock. I like your plan, if it were me, and I was going to travel extensively, I would want tandem axles for towing comfort. Maybe bump your size range up a little. I hope you are a small guy, navigating that bathroom would be a challenge for me. Good luck.

myredracer
Explorer II
Explorer II
I like the looks of the R-pods. They look more aerodynamic too. No idea if they're any good or not. They are in the 18-20' range and have 30 gal. black & grey tanks which isn't bad at all. By comparison, our 29' TT has a 32 gal. black tank which lasts the 2 of us up to a week.

When it comes to black tanks, the key to making them last longer between dumps is lots of water - add 2-3 gallons before each use, don't skimp on water when flushing, fill to full or near full before dumping and then rinse thoroughly.

Filling up the grey tank from showering won't be the problem, it will be washing dishes and food prep. in the kitchen sink. Disposable plates & cutlery can help. We sometimes use a folding wash pan for rinsing and then toss the (clean) water outside, depending on the CG. Same when draining some boiled vegetables. One of those marble-coated frying pans are good because you can just wipe them clean with a paper towel.

Sanidumps.com lists available dump stations around the US.

If planning to spend a lot of time in a TT, I'd want a model with a sofa and hopefully a sofa that is comfortable (many are not). Sitting upright on a dinette seat for extended periods can be tiring after a while.

colliehauler
Explorer
Explorer
Bluecatch9 wrote:
Thanks guys. Will likely go used - unless new ends up being so close in price that it makes it a no brainer.

I will probably set up some sort of solar system as well. I am very handy and am looking forward to tinkering also.
You won't be disappointed if you like tinkering, unfortunately RV'S are high maintenance items. Water intrusion is the biggest killer of a RV. Buying used throughly check out for indicators of water damage.

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
โ€œI will probably set up some sort of solar system as well.โ€

Some sort of solar system starts with an energy survey. The survey determines the needed batteries, panels and controller.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

twodownzero
Explorer
Explorer
If you're planning on boondocking, a slightly larger trailer will probably offer larger holding tanks. The frontal area of the trailer is the biggest killer of fuel mileage. Weight matters some, but pulling a brick through the air takes some fuel no matter what.

Bluecatch9
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks guys. Will likely go used - unless new ends up being so close in price that it makes it a no brainer.

I will probably set up some sort of solar system as well. I am very handy and am looking forward to tinkering also.

colliehauler
Explorer
Explorer
I'll agree with Grit dog and suggest you purchase a used or rent to see if this will work for you without a big expenditure. Lots of books also available on low or no cost camping. As someone else pointed out you will have no A/C without electricity. You might be able to add larger tanks if you have the room as well. Solar could keep the battery charged when boondocking without power. Good luck with whatever you decide.

All_I_could_aff
Explorer
Explorer
Definitely agree with getting a similar size used trailer and trying it out for a while before you commit to a new unit
1999 R-Vision Trail Light B17 hybrid
2006 Explorer Eddie Bauer
2002 Xterra rollinโ€™ on 33โ€™s
1993 Chevy Z24 Convertible
Lives in garage 71,000 miles

BarabooBob
Explorer III
Explorer III
I tow a 3000 pound 17' single axle trailer. When I am driving at 55 mph, I can squeak out about 12.5 mpg. At 65 mph, I get 10 mpg. I drive a Ford F150 with 3.5l EcoBoost. I actually get better gas mileage than most gassers. The diesels will get better mileage, maybe.
How much camping experience do you have? Where do you expect to stay if you don't use campgrounds? Boondocking is great if you have the experience to find and properly use the backcountry sites.
Bob & Dawn Married 34 years
2017 Viking 17RD
2011 Ford F150 3.5L Ecoboost 420 lb/ft
Retired

Terryallan
Explorer II
Explorer II
Bluecatch9 wrote:
Thanks! All advice is appreciated. I will chase the warm weather so the cold issue is not an issue.

Thanks!

Unless you stay in CGS your AC won't work UNLESS you invest in a good sized generator. Just something else to think about, and haul around
Terry & Shay
Coachman Apex 288BH.
2013 F150 XLT Off Road
5.0, 3.73
Lazy Campers

Bluecatch9
Explorer
Explorer
I am also thinking that the trailers that have the zip out beds are candidates for leaks. I'd rather have a better seal than that zip out extension. And again, its just me in there. The ugly red interior can be changed fairly easily if the unit is solid otherwise.

wanderingaimles
Explorer
Explorer
The bathroom showing woodgrain materials makes me suspect that the entire unit once did. Why did they repaint cabinets white? Is there a hint behind the diamond plate covered front?
I'd be suspicious.

I would also want a real bed, dinette cushions suck as a mattress, ok for small kids but I;m to old and sore to sleep on one more than a night or two.

edit ad , also how tall are you? That AC unit looks like it hangs way down, could just be the picture.

Bluecatch9
Explorer
Explorer
Thoughts? The decor scares me - but it could also show pride of ownership......what do you veterans think?

https://www.rvtrader.com/listing/2007-Cikira-Rv-Classic-Cruiser-16LB-5006272270