Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Around the Campfire: Odd home plumbing question
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Around the Campfire

Open Roads Forum  >  Around the Campfire  >  General Topics

> Odd home plumbing question

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next
patperry2766

Saginaw Texas

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/10/19 12:33pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Does it take just one flush to get a turd and associated paper all the way to the main sewer line?

Reason I ask is that at my dad’s vacant house we visit a few times a year. He has had constant plumbing problems for many years with one bathroom especially. What happens is that the toilet starts draining slowly and it starts backing up into the shower

We have had a plumber come out and snake the pipes and after that it worked fine the next time she came down.

It’s been about 2 months since we were down and now we’re starting to have the exact same problems. She posed the question that since the house is used so infrequently, could 1 flush not be getting the troublesome turd completely cleared from the line, and it along with the paper could be creating a log jam?

All the other sinks and toilets drain fine, so could this be a plausible possibility?

Courage is the feeling you have right before you fully understand the situation

jetboater454

Camping or home

View Profile

Posted: 02/10/19 12:44pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Sounds like it's just the line from that bathroom/shower. Try to fill a few buckets with water and dump them down the toilet. That should unclog it. A good drain product is "Fire". It works fast. May be hard to find,It's usually a bottle that's in a plastic bag. Good luck.

2011 Toyota Tundra DC Long Bed
2001 Harley Dyna Lowrider

Fizz

Ottawa, Canada

View Profile

Posted: 02/10/19 01:02pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Could need more volume of water.
Try poring a five gal pail from 2-3 ft above the bowl.
I do that once in a while at the cottage. The guy who laid the pipe didn't use the proper slope, sometimes stuff sits half way to the septic system.

downtheroad

Pacific Northwest

View Profile

Posted: 02/10/19 01:07pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Old house, old plumbing? That line may have roots intruding into it. Snake clears it for awhile then roots get back in and start to inhibit flow until they are cleared again.

Happened to us. Solution was to re-ripe that sewer lines with modern ABS.
It was expensive and a mess.....[emoticon]

"If we couldn't laugh we would all go insane."

Arctic Fox 25Y
GMC Duramax
Blue Ox SwayPro

patperry2766

Saginaw Texas

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/10/19 01:30pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

House built in the 60’s and new line from house to the main is about 18 years old. Plumber said no evidence of roots per my sister. She said it worked fine the last time she used it, but that was about 2 months ago.

Can a plumber snake a toilet and shower to see it there is a blockage or collapsed line?

d3500ram

Colorado

View Profile

Posted: 02/10/19 02:01pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

When it backs into the shower does it burp (as in is it trying to get air to drain?)... make sure the vent stack for these two fixtures is not plugged... maybe snake the vents from the roof. If the vent is plugged for some reason, fluid mechanics will seek it in other places and the least resistance might be the shower.

I am not a plumber nor did I stay at a Holiday Inn... just using the KISS principle to come up with free ideas.

patperry2766

Saginaw Texas

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/10/19 02:58pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The only time the shower burps is when we were pouring large volumes of water in the toilet. Supposedly all the vents were snaked about a year ago

bguy

The Rock

View Profile

Posted: 02/10/19 04:30pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The troublesome line may have too much grade. This will let the water run away from the solid. A second flush in succession may be the work around.
Sounds like the shower needs a connection closer to the vent stack.

---------------------------------------
2011 Ram 1500 Quad Cab, 4x4, 3.55, HEMI
2009 TL-32BHS Trail-Lite by R-Vision

winnietrey

seattle

View Profile

Posted: 02/10/19 05:34pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I am not a plumber, but having been through something similar, I would wonder?
1) blockage is somewhere downstream of where the shower drain ties into the toilet drain, probably fairly close.
2) what I would wonder, if perhaps there is something solid down there. like a hairbrush or toy? Which has been there for many years
3) problem is when it gets snaked, the snake will just go over or under the object, and clear the TP hanging up on it. But as time goes on more stuff hangs up and recreates the issue.
4) I would probably suggest you put a camera down and see what's up. Could also be a grease plug, Just a few thoughts

mike brez

Unknown

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/10/19 06:46pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

A good snake out company will have a camera they can push down the toilet drain and see what's going on

1998 36 foot Country Coach Magna #5499 Single slide
Gillig chassis with a series 40
02 Ford F250 7.3 with a few mods
2015 Wrangler JKU

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Around the Campfire  >  General Topics

> Odd home plumbing question
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Around the Campfire

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.