cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Bra for toad

BingMyDog
Explorer
Explorer
Has anyone used a bra on their toad? Did it effect the paint?
What are the pros & cons?
I had one given to me but I'am hesitant to use it.

Thank You
6 REPLIES 6

Healeyman
Explorer
Explorer
BingMyDog wrote:
Has anyone used a bra on their toad?... What are the pros & cons?

I had one on my first towed. What a PITA!!!!

A LOT of the small pieces of sand and gravel would be dropped on the hood between the bra and the windshield.
Then, when out of the wind, they would migrate forward and get UNDER the bra and abrade the painted surface.

I ended up having to find a car wash every day or two and pressure wash the grit out of the fabric on the under side of the bra.

After a couple weeks of THAT, I took it off. I ended up giving it away (with a warning).

I didn't see any Pros.

Others may have different experiences.

Tim

chuckbear
Explorer
Explorer
We used one on our Chevy HHR for years. Did a 12,000 mile trip around the country towing the car. We had no issues with the paint but we did keep a good coat of wax on the front end of the car. It did save the car from rock dings, which showed up when we did not use it. It finally just wore out and we plan to get another one soon. Chuck

Moved from Forum Posting Help and Support

eubank
Explorer
Explorer
Before you install one, give the paint a thick coat of wax under the bra. I use Johnson's paste wax. Apply; do not buff.

Lynn

Beverley_Ken
Explorer
Explorer
We had one on our 04 Accord, used it on a cross country trip, all types of roads and conditions. It had to be removed and cleaned underneath the bra and especially the edges of the bra regularly to prevent abrasion to the paint from sand and grit. Finally gave up on it. Less paint damage without than using it.
In 6 years towing the CRV, never used a bra and the only stone chips in the paint happened when driving on its own, not used as a toad.

Ken
2006 Winnebago Outlook 29B E-450.
2012 Honda CR-V AWD
Blue Ox Aventa LX tow bar and Brake Buddy Vantage.

Johno02
Explorer
Explorer
If someone gave me one, I would use it.
Noel and Betty Johnson (and Harry)

2005 GulfStream Ultra Supreme, 1 Old grouch, 1 wonderful wife, and two silly poodles.