cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Rear view camera for trailer

colliehauler
Explorer
Explorer
Looking at rear view camera wired or wireless? Looking at a 9" or 7" screen with one camera. Any brand suggestions as well?
30 REPLIES 30

Harvey51
Explorer
Explorer
On our class C I first installed a license plate mounted camera which was not very useful as depth of field was confusing. Then I got one with guidelines on the video and mounted it high up on the inside top of the rear window aimed down so the hitch is just in view. Works great. I can back up within 6 inches of a post easily. Only worry is not seeing tree branches up high - have to hop out and check for branches in person.

Whether it is a backup camera or a rear monitor is just a matter of how you hook up the power. My hookup is through a switch mounted on the base of the driverโ€™s seat. The video cable and power was easy to install because the camera is inside. Also easy to keep clean.
2004 E350 Adventurer (Canadian) 20 footer - Alberta, Canada
No TV + 100W solar = no generator needed

ROBERTSUNRUS
Explorer
Explorer
gpeade wrote:
Just finished reading all the posts here as I am considering a camera for the rear on my TT. I want something on constantly for traffic viewing as well. Obviously a wired system is more reliable and probably less expensive but I have one question...how would one go about running a wire the length of a travel trailer? I'm sure under the unit is the easiest place but how difficult would it be to get it down through the rear wall, or would you just use small wire clips and surface mount the wire down the back on the unit then seal them real well. Sorry if this is hijacking the thread.

๐Ÿ™‚ Hi, I ran flexible conduit under my trailer originally for my generator inlet; I ran my camera line through the same conduit.
๐Ÿ™‚ Bob ๐Ÿ™‚
2005 Airstream Safari 25-B
2000 Lincoln Navigator
2014 F-150 Ecoboost
Equal-i-zer
Yamaha 2400

Acampingwewillg
Explorer II
Explorer II
I did go ahead and purchase the one Amazon had on a Lighting Deal, its a two camera system with a 7' monitor wireless. I can't speak to its function as of yet because it probably won't get installed until I start on my list of adjustments (punch list) from my last 3 month trip. I always have a list after time on the road and this camera replacement was one such item.

I won't put all my eggs in one basket, I'll keep my wired camera too. Now, this new system is from ZerozClubโ€ฆ after reading the comments, mostly favorable, I read where if prompted, you could get higher gain antenna's to attach to both Camera and receiver. I contacted the manufacturer and the antenna's arrived one day after the system. Excellent Service so far and the item comes packaged well....They also have a special offer for a newer Dash Camera. Long story short, I'll rate this system once installed and let you know the deal on the dash cam if/when I get it.
96 Vogue Prima Vista
The Kid's: Humphrie, the Mini Schnauzer and Georgie,wire haired dachshund.
Rainbow Bridge: Laddie,Scoutie,Katie,Cooper,Kodie,Rubie,Maggie, Cassie, Mollie, Elvis, Potter and Rosie Love You! (40+ years in all)

Range_Maggot_Bo
Explorer
Explorer
4Ucam.com
Check it out.

DSDP_Don
Explorer
Explorer
There are several brands of cameras out there. Both of my daughters bought new fifth wheels last year and I bought them both back up cameras for their trailers. I did quite a bit of research and discovered that you should REALLY go with a WIRED camera. Even though, this is what worked the best, the kids wanted wireless. They were both prewired for Furion, which I agree is junk. They're making a killing by giving the RV manufacturers free camera mounts. People then feel their best option is to buy a Furion camera and use the already installed mount. Don't do it!

Voyager makes a great product, but I settled on a couple high end, large screen Tadi Brothers wireless cameras. They work okay, but drop out quite often. No matter how much people tell you that wireless is the way to go or theirs works great.....they don't. In this day and age, everyone is running some type of wireless product. Consequently, those other wireless products interfere with the camera signal.

So....take a little longer and install a wired camera. Simply add a connection at the hitch so you can disconnect quickly. With a wired unit, the picture will never drop out. You won't regret the wired type camera.
Don & Mary
2019 Newmar Dutch Star 4018 - All Electric
2019 Ford Raptor Crew Cab

fred42
Explorer
Explorer
post deleted by author
2007 Tiffin Allegro 28DA

gpeade
Explorer
Explorer
Just finished reading all the posts here as I am considering a camera for the rear on my TT. I want something on constantly for traffic viewing as well. Obviously a wired system is more reliable and probably less expensive but I have one question...how would one go about running a wire the length of a travel trailer? I'm sure under the unit is the easiest place but how difficult would it be to get it down through the rear wall, or would you just use small wire clips and surface mount the wire down the back on the unit then seal them real well. Sorry if this is hijacking the thread.

ROBERTSUNRUS
Explorer
Explorer
๐Ÿ™‚ Hi, my camera came with the long extension cord. I mounted my sensor in front of my trailer for a better signal and it has not failed me. My experience could be different than yours because I have the BC-20 camera, not the BC-30.

The lag that you are talking about is highly exaggerated or yours was defective.

(my cell phone is marketed as a phone, but it can still be used as a camera) :S
๐Ÿ™‚ Bob ๐Ÿ™‚
2000 Lincoln Navigator
2014 F-150 Ecoboost
Equal-i-zer
Yamaha 2400

Ralph_Cramden
Explorer II
Explorer II
ROBERTSUNRUS wrote:
Ralph Cramden wrote:
colliehauler wrote:
sayoung wrote:
ROBERTSUNRUS wrote:
colliehauler wrote:
Looking at rear view camera wired or wireless? Looking at a 9" or 7" screen with one camera. Any brand suggestions as well?

๐Ÿ™‚ Hi, I use a Garmin RV 760 GPS with a wireless back up camera for my trailer. They have newer versions now.

X2
I like the idea of a GPS and camera and will check them out.

If you want it for backing up go the Garmin route. If you want it for observation behind your trailer while on the road don't. Garmin's setup does not have the refresh you need while moving at speed. The car you see on your trailers bumper on the monitor, may have already moved to the left and be beside your trailer at the time.

๐Ÿ™‚ Hi, this is not my experience. The picture is not free flowing / smooth, but very close. When I can see the entire front of the big rig in my camera, I have completely passed it.

It is your experience and you describe it when you say "The picture is not free flowing/smooth." That is lag and the lag will vary at different times with the BC30, especially so at night. I attempted to resolve it by buying Garmins extension cable and moving the transmitter to the A frame. It didn't help. The whole setup was taken off when I sold the rig and has been on a shelf in my garage since.

Garmin markets it as a "Backup Camera" and not an "Observation Camera" the same as others and there is a reason manufacturers differentiate the two. As an example take Furrion. They made the FOS48TAPK wireless HIGH SPEED observation camera and the FRC12TAPK wireless back up camera. Both appear exactly the same but the FRC12 does not have the speed that the FOS48 had. I'll be the first to admit the Furrion system was great while it lasted. Really clear 720P video, no lag or stutter, and what you see on the monitor is what is true on the road in real time. Then it sheet the bed in 2 1/2 years.

Garmin only makes the BC-30 and its marketed as a "backup camera". If thats all you use it for it does the job because lag is not a concern backing up at 1 mph.
Too many geezers, self appointed moderators, experts, and disappearing posts for me. Enjoy. How many times can the same thing be rehashed over and over?

westend
Explorer
Explorer
Cameras are getting cheap. I have a list offered by another member with all the items he used for a rear view system. If you like, I'll PM you the list. I haven't installed one, yet, but will. I am in process of designing the location of a wall mounted AC and that might interfere with camera mounting.

At the current time, a wired system would appear to be a better choice. No cutout or interference if directly wired. The connection to vehicle is just one connector alongside the typical pigtail. A user does have to install wire into the vehicle but that isn't much of a challenge and the signal/power wires are cheap.
'03 F-250 4x4 CC
'71 Starcraft Wanderstar -- The Cowboy/Hilton

ROBERTSUNRUS
Explorer
Explorer
Ralph Cramden wrote:
colliehauler wrote:
sayoung wrote:
ROBERTSUNRUS wrote:
colliehauler wrote:

๐Ÿ™‚ Hi, I use a Garmin RV 760 GPS with a wireless back up camera for my trailer. They have newer versions now.

X2

If you want it for backing up go the Garmin route. If you want it for observation behind your trailer while on the road don't. Garmin's setup does not have the refresh you need while moving at speed. The car you see on your trailers bumper on the monitor, may have already moved to the left and be beside your trailer at the time.

๐Ÿ™‚ Hi, this is not my experience. The picture is not free flowing / smooth, but very close. When I can see the entire front of the big rig in my camera, I have completely passed it.
๐Ÿ™‚ Bob ๐Ÿ™‚
2000 Lincoln Navigator
2014 F-150 Ecoboost
Equal-i-zer
Yamaha 2400

drsteve
Explorer
Explorer
colliehauler wrote:
jkwilson wrote:
drsteve wrote:
Now and then I think about buying a backup camera, then I remember that I never have a problem backing in. I'm sure I'm not the only one, either. Is it really that much better?

Backing is a trivial function for the camera. Clearance for changing lanes and seeing vehicles right on your tail is where they shine.
I never even considered it for backing the trailer, my main concern was changing lanes and if anyone was behind me. Backing would be an added bonus.

So it's like having your rear view mirror back. I had never really consider use while driving, maybe because they're always called a "backup camera". Might have to look into this... Thanks!
2006 Silverado 1500HD Crew Cab 2WD 6.0L 3.73 8600 GVWR
2018 Coachmen Catalina Legacy Edition 223RBS
1991 Palomino Filly PUP

TheBar
Explorer
Explorer
Keep in mind the many different camera angles before picking one. A wide angle will show cars very close to you in the other lane. This is the best choice for multi lane highway driving. A wide angle also comes in handy when backing to see low hanging tree limbs. The trade off is anything a ways back will be just a dot you might not see. I have a wide angle, fish-eye camera which means when my wife follows me in her car I can't identify her car unless she's right on me. I know all the haters will say this is because I use the $57 Pyle camera/monitor kit from Walmart but fish eye lens are fish eye lens folks. Price doesn't matter. I've had this setup for 3 years with zero problems. Has a great clear picture with good color. I wired it to be on continuous instead of just in reverse. I started out with an expensive wireless kit but got a lot of static interference from various sources. I live near an AF base and low flying planes would cause a white out. So I took the 3 hours required to run 40' wires to the front protected by wire loom. But I should have run more than the two wires for some future gadget. If you run wire wrap all connections with silicone mastic tape so everything is waterproof.
Retired factory automation computer programmer
Cabin fever solution: 30' Class C
DW loves it more than I do

Ralph_Cramden
Explorer II
Explorer II
colliehauler wrote:
sayoung wrote:
ROBERTSUNRUS wrote:
colliehauler wrote:

X2

Too many geezers, self appointed moderators, experts, and disappearing posts for me. Enjoy. How many times can the same thing be rehashed over and over?