cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Just waiting for the bubble to explode.

Ralph_Cramden
Explorer II
Explorer II
Even with 2018 recreational vehicle shipments down 4 percent from the previous year, the mood among dealers at the 59th annual Fort Wayne RV and Camping Show was upbeat because the industry is expecting another year of strong sales.

The RV Industry Associationโ€™s survey of manufacturers for December found the industry ended last year with 483,672 wholesale shipments, down from 504,599 units shipped the previous year.

Though not record-setting, last yearโ€™s shipments were still strong in comparison with the 430,700 units shipped in 2016.

And the data should be considered in the context of the industry seeing โ€œan all-time record for growth in 2017,โ€ said Matt Rose, director of recreation vehicles for the Indiana Manufactured Housing Association and Recreation Vehicle Indiana Council.

With 10 RV dealers and 40 booth exhibitors, the show was expecting to attract about 12,000, which Rose said was unchanged from last year.

โ€œBusiness is strong, and we anticipate it staying strong and weโ€™re very optimistic heading into 2019,โ€ he said.

Breaking the 500,000 shipments mark in 2017 with a 17 percent sales surge was a โ€œtribute to all involved in our industry โ€” from those who serve key roles on the manufacturing floors to the customers who visit dealer lots,โ€ Frank Hugelmeyer, president of the association, said at the time.

Sales representatives at the show with Sullivan RV Sales and Service, which operates locations in Decatur and Fort Wayne, praised the industryโ€™s manufacturers for continually upgrading their products but attributed the surge to high employment.

โ€œItโ€™s the economy. People are able to afford them, and theyโ€™re coming in and saying that,โ€ Shari Grier said.

A decade ago the Great Recession forced many more area families to make do with a single income. It ended in the summer of 2009, and that year the RV industry shipped only 165,700 units.

Today, โ€œbecause both the husband and wife work, theyโ€™ve got a lot of money, mostly, and theyโ€™re going to get into something like this,โ€ said Henry Carder, motioning to an Aerolite travel trailer. โ€œA lot of them have got a pickup truck.โ€

โ€œThe RV industry, if you look at what is going on up in Goshen and over in Nappanee and all these other places, theyโ€™re trying to hire more people to build more stuff, so they are selling,โ€ he said.

โ€œIt seems like itโ€™s supposed to be a good year for it,โ€ Carder said. โ€œTheyโ€™re holding down the prime (interest rate) again. And with something like this with a good credit rating and 10 percent down, you can borrow the money and buy one of these and get a 20-year loan.โ€

Richard Curtin, a professor at the University of Michiganโ€™s Survey Research Center, who also is a longtime RV industry analyst, has projected its 2019 shipments will once again exceed the 2016 level.

In November he forecast 2019 shipments to fall within a range of 466,000 and 439,800 units, most likely coming close to 453,200 units, which would be 6 percent less than the number shipped last year, but still the third best year for sales.

โ€œIncome, employment, and household wealth will continue to exert a positive force on RV sales, though these factors are expected to be slightly less favorable in the year ahead,โ€ Curtin said in a statement on the forecast.

โ€œThe mild downturn in shipments reflects the impact of higher manufacturing costs for RV producers, and RV dealers adjusting their inventories due to changes in inventory carrying costs,โ€ Hugelmeyer said in the statement.

โ€œAll relevant economic factors have been favorable for so long that slippage at some point was inevitable,โ€ he said.

โ€œThe good news is that RV manufacturers are already responding in ways that will set them up for future success, meeting a new generation of RVersโ€™ demand for distinctive features and options.โ€

Facing worker shortages, Hugelmeyer said manufacturers have been innovating to increase productivity. And favorable population trends as well as increasing interest in outdoor recreation can be expected to help RV sales for several years, he said.

?????????????? A nice way of saying making them cheaper than ever LOL.

Too many geezers, self appointed moderators, experts, and disappearing posts for me. Enjoy. How many times can the same thing be rehashed over and over?
82 REPLIES 82

pnichols
Explorer II
Explorer II
jplante4 wrote:
packnrat wrote:
i am not retired yet. but when i am, i do not want to even do one hr work, in three hundred sixty five days.

Yeah, that was my plan, but after working nearly every day for 50 years, it was boring.

The best thing about working when you're retired is that your employer knows you don't need the job and at any point you can walk away. It's amazing how much respect you get.

Hmmmm .... that sounds almost like the working retireee "doesn't really need the job in order to live".

I would never work at any job at any age under those conditions. There are a million things to do in life besides expected-to-show-up type work.

Retirement is for no-worky activities. IAW, doing other things way more interesting and/or helpful to others in need.
2005 E450 Itasca 24V Class C

jplante4
Explorer
Explorer
packnrat wrote:
i am not retired yet. but when i am, i do not want to even do one hr work, in three hundred sixty five days.

Yeah, that was my plan, but after working nearly every day for 50 years, it was boring.

The best thing about working when you're retired is that your employer knows you don't need the job and at any point you can walk away. It's amazing how much respect you get.
Jerry & Jeanne
1996 Safari Sahara 3530 - 'White Tiger'
CAT 3126/Allison 6 speed/Magnum Chassis
2014 Equinox AWD / Blue Ox

packnrat
Explorer
Explorer
Grit dog wrote:
Love the posts from retireeees bashing on good paying jobs! Lol
Of course you wouldnโ€™t work 6 12s. Youโ€™re retired!!

2006 F250 4X4 auto 6.0 short bed
2001 sunnybrook 24 ft
1984 cj7 built up a bit
kg6tgu
never too many toys, just not enought room to keep them
one dog who belives she is the master. rip 12 12 2007
12 loving years and loyal to the end.
just out having fun

1968mooney
Explorer
Explorer
Ralph Cramden wrote:
goducks10 wrote:
RVIA: Shipments For January Incur 39.8% Decline (2/25/2019)
Story by RVBusiness
The RV Industry Association's (RVIA) January survey of manufacturers found that total RV shipments ended the month with 25,540 wholesale shipments, a decrease of 39.8% from the 42,441 units shipped last January.

Towable RVs, led by conventional travel trailers, totaled 21,623 units for the month, a decrease of 41% compared to last Januaryโ€™s total of 36,622 units.

Motorhomes finished the month with 3,917 units, down 32.7% compared to the January 2018 total of 5,819 units.

Park Model RVs finished the month up 12.6% compared to last January with 330 shipments to retailers.

RV Industry Association

Imagine that, and in the midst of the RV show clusterf#$k.

Well that served no significant purpose other than letting the RVIA talk.

Yes, the sky is falling. If you own a RV you better sale it NOW or least you be stuck for the rest of your life. :S

MetalGator
Explorer III
Explorer III
goducks10 wrote:
I'm wondering if low shipments are from the really bad weather we've had this winter making it harder to transport or that dealers just aren't ordering that much because they still have a butt load sitting on their lots already?

We were at Lazy Days in Tampa a couple of weeks ago. I needed to purchase something in their store. I didn't think I was going to be able to park. There normal customer parking lot was full of trailers and motorhomes. They were literally on top of each other. I have been going there for years and I have never seen so much inventory.
2018 Miramar 35.3 Motorhome
3 fur kids (Monty, ZuZu and Pinto)
Rainbow bridge (Murphy, Petie, Lola)

goducks10
Explorer
Explorer
I'm wondering if low shipments are from the really bad weather we've had this winter making it harder to transport or that dealers just aren't ordering that much because they still have a butt load sitting on their lots already?

Ralph_Cramden
Explorer II
Explorer II
goducks10 wrote:
Story by RVBusiness
The RV Industry Association's (RVIA) January survey of manufacturers found that total RV shipments ended the month with 25,540 wholesale shipments, a decrease of 39.8% from the 42,441 units shipped last January.

Towable RVs, led by conventional travel trailers, totaled 21,623 units for the month, a decrease of 41% compared to last Januaryโ€™s total of 36,622 units.

Motorhomes finished the month with 3,917 units, down 32.7% compared to the January 2018 total of 5,819 units.

Park Model RVs finished the month up 12.6% compared to last January with 330 shipments to retailers.

RV Industry Association

Imagine that, and in the midst of the RV show clusterf#$k.

Well that served no significant purpose other than letting the RVIA talk.
Too many geezers, self appointed moderators, experts, and disappearing posts for me. Enjoy. How many times can the same thing be rehashed over and over?

goducks10
Explorer
Explorer
Story by RVBusiness

RV Industry Association

Lynnmor
Explorer
Explorer
WTP-GC wrote:

What a hilariously useless website. I don't think they could fit any more ads on that site if they tried.

I use Ghostery, no significant amount of ads get thru.

2012Coleman
Explorer
Explorer
WTP-GC wrote:
Ralph Cramden wrote:
Here's a newly noticed one I came across for your reading pleasure.

This was written by a lady named Sondra Rochelle at the website AxleAddict.

The above is a disclaimer to keep some on these boards from having a blood pressure spike and getting their panties all twisted up in knots.

What a hilariously useless website. I don't think they could fit any more ads on that site if they tried. That article presents no new information and serves no purpose other than to just let someone talk.
Kind of the same with this forum - this thread in particular...
Experience without good judgment is worthless; good judgment without experience is still good judgment!

2018 RAM 3500 Big Horn CTD
2018 Grand Design Reflection 303RLS

fj12ryder
Explorer II
Explorer II
Evidently putting all the information in the article the first time is not the strong point of some LOL.
Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

Ralph_Cramden
Explorer II
Explorer II
fj12ryder wrote:
Yeah, "Business is so good, it's got to get bad!". What blather. And seriously, 2 months is enough to base a trend on? I guess if you're desperate for an article.

Evidently reading comprehension is not the strong point of some LOL.

But 5 months is.

More like 5 solid months.

August 18 -12.5%
September 18 -29 %
October 18 -11 %
November 18 -20.3 %
December 18 -21.7%

The original article was put up 6-18 and the author revisited it 2-4-19.

The original was in response to drops in May 18 (-1.7%) and June 18 (-11.4%). Had a small uptick July 18 +10.9%.

Overall 17 to 18 -4.1%after 8 years of being in the plus column

fj12ryder
Explorer II
Explorer II
Yeah, "Business is so good, it's got to get bad!". What blather. And seriously, 2 months is enough to base a trend on? I guess if you're desperate for an article.
Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

WTP-GC
Explorer
Explorer
Ralph Cramden wrote:
WTP-GC wrote:
Ralph Cramden wrote:
Here's a newly noticed one I came across for your reading pleasure.

This was written by a lady named Sondra Rochelle at the website AxleAddict.

The above is a disclaimer to keep some on these boards from having a blood pressure spike and getting their panties all twisted up in knots.

What a hilariously useless website. I don't think they could fit any more ads on that site if they tried. That article presents no new information and serves no purpose other than to just let someone talk.

Sort of like Yahoo? CNN? TFLtruck? Rvbusiness? and millions of others that all have ads or they wouldn't exist?

I had hoped with the disclaimer your panties would have not knotted, but some things are inevitable.......apparently.

That all said, Let me edit out some of the fluff in an attempt to get them untied.

"Just three months after this report, however, RVIA reported that sales for August and September, 2018 have dropped a whopping 29% as compared to 2017 for these two months.

One month of sales declines is an anomaly. Two indicates a potential trend. Apparently the downward trend is continuing because RV Roadsigns has predicted another drop of more than 5% in 2019. This information is supported by information in the December, 2018 year-end report that was published by the RVIA. RVIA gave no reason for the decline, but there are a number of possible explanations that the industry would not want to discuss publicly. It may not help that they are discussing raising prices due to the current tariff situation.

One thing manufacturers and dealers seem to have forgotten in their frenzy to make money is that RVers communicate, and they do so publicly, often and honestly. Complaints about ripoffs, substandard products, poor service, price gouging and lack of buyer protections (aka poor or non-existent lemon laws for RVs) have been steadily increasing. To find them, all you need to do is do an internet search titled โ€œComplaints About ___________) and fill in the blank with the name of a brand or dealership.

There now are so many RV owners that it has become a โ€œsellers marketโ€ for campground owners. Not too long ago the average park was charging around $15 per night, but now those same places are charging $40. Luxury resorts have sprung up that charge as much as $230 per night (not to mention that the words โ€œluxuryโ€ and โ€œresortโ€ are used a bit too freely). State and National Park campgrounds have raised fees to the point that they no longer the good deal they used to be. What is equally troublesome is that I am hearing increasing complaints about overcrowding. People are planning trips only to find that in many instances, they canโ€™t find sites! What good is it to own an RV if you canโ€™t find campgrounds as you travel that have available sites?"

Yep, like I said...no new information, useless article....just a place to let someone else talk!
Duramax + Grand Design 5er + B & W Companion
SBGTF