cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Where in Tallahassee area...

goufgators
Explorer
Explorer
Is there a alignment shop in the Tallahassee area that will agree to change the 'spec' caster setting to one of 5 to 6 degrees positive? The shop I normally use for alignments is hesitant to set at anything other than factory spec.
2017 Winnebago Sunstar (gas)
2005 Honda CRV Toad
Invisi-brake
10 REPLIES 10

wolfe10
Explorer
Explorer
On this thread, let me suggest we keep comments to ONLY the F53 chassis.

Mixing discussions of the E 350/450 may (or may NOT) give good insight on high caster settings on the F53.

Actually, I would start by calling someone like Robert Henderson (Grants Pass, OR) to see what the experts feel is ideal caster for the F53.
Brett Wolfe
Ex: 2003 Alpine 38'FDDS
Ex: 1997 Safari 35'
Ex: 1993 Foretravel U240

Diesel RV Club:http://www.dieselrvclub.org/

goufgators
Explorer
Explorer
Harvard wrote:
goufgators wrote:
Fla Tom wrote:
Have you talked with Sermons alignment (off west tenn st )? They are great at alignments.fyi we also live in crawfordville.

Thanks! I did talk to them this a.m. and will be taking the MH to them Friday. He is very familiar with the steering wandering and knowledgeable about the movement of caster more to positive.

Just wondering, do you have a MH and, if so, have you experienced the steering problem? This our 4th and each has had this same problem.

Please give us a before and after report and driveability. We know this works on the E Series. Have not had a lot of feedback on the F53.

Sorry! Should have provided a report as requested. Before: driving was a problem due to constantly moving steering wheel back and forth to keep MH heading reasonably straight. After: major improvement in steering. Although steering in the MH not quite as good as my Tundra, still much improved.
2005 Honda CRV Toad
Invisi-brake

Harvard
Explorer
Explorer
goufgators wrote:
Fla Tom wrote:
Have you talked with Sermons alignment (off west tenn st )? They are great at alignments.fyi we also live in crawfordville.

Thanks! I did talk to them this a.m. and will be taking the MH to them Friday. He is very familiar with the steering wandering and knowledgeable about the movement of caster more to positive.

Just wondering, do you have a MH and, if so, have you experienced the steering problem? This our 4th and each has had this same problem.

Please give us a before and after report and driveability. We know this works on the E Series. Have not had a lot of feedback on the F53.

Fla_Tom1
Explorer
Explorer
goufgators wrote:
Fla Tom wrote:

we do have a motorhome (also on our 4th also) luckily this coach has not had any steering issues.

apr67
Explorer
Explorer
Caster is how the steering axis is tilted, forward/back.

Think about the front wheels on a working shopping cart (not the one at walmart that wobbles and drives you nuts). The point where the wheel pivots is behind where the center of the wheel is. Very stable, it just wants to go straight.

A really good explanation of all alignment terms. https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tiretech/techpage.jsp?techid=4
2017 Thor Hurricane 34J
Gone-2014 Chevy Express 3500
Gone-2016 Jayco White Hawk 32DSBH
Gone-2013 Keystone Bullet 294BHS
Gone-2007 National SurfSide 34DE
Gone-2006 ForestRiver Sunseeker 2900LTD
Gone-1994 Fleetwood PaceArrow
Gone-1978 Kit RoadRanger

goufgators
Explorer
Explorer
Fla Tom wrote:

2005 Honda CRV Toad
Invisi-brake

Fla_Tom1
Explorer
Explorer

Bikeboy57
Explorer
Explorer
More caster makes it track better, less wandering. No free lunch though, too much caster can make the wheels shimmy like a shopping cart.

3 to 4 is about standard. I would be awfully cautious about going to 6.

Call josams in orlando
Richard and Rhonda
1999 Newell
Subaru Outback toad

ArchHoagland
Explorer
Explorer
I'm curious why you want to do that.
2004 Monaco La Palma 36DBD
Workhorse W22 8.1 Gas Allison 1000, 7.1 mpg

2000 LEXUS RX300 FWD 22MPG 4020 LBS
US Gear Brakes

apr67
Explorer
Explorer
Check out the places listed in replies to my intro on the Thor forum.

http://www.thorforums.com/forums/f3/hi-tallahassee-15982.html
2017 Thor Hurricane 34J
Gone-2014 Chevy Express 3500
Gone-2016 Jayco White Hawk 32DSBH
Gone-2013 Keystone Bullet 294BHS
Gone-2007 National SurfSide 34DE
Gone-2006 ForestRiver Sunseeker 2900LTD
Gone-1994 Fleetwood PaceArrow
Gone-1978 Kit RoadRanger