cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Looking for Technology Cabinet Ideas

Geeze
Explorer
Explorer
My wife and I will join the 2019/2020 class of Winter Texans and have been working to get our Class C ready to live in six months each year. My next project will be setting up the "Technology" we will need on the road. I'm looking for ideas (photos)of the setup others have developed for their RV's. Cabinet space in our RV is minimal and I have been considering building a technology cabinet in the storage area under our dinette. I would appreciate any suggestions anyone could offer. Thanks in advance.
7 REPLIES 7

fred42
Explorer
Explorer
Do any of the Verizon 4G Jetpacks have a connector for an external cell phone antenna? If so, you may want to consider routing of the wire from the roof to the cabinet.

I used to use two roof mounted antennas, one for the flip phone and one for the Verizon PC card. I think the whole external antenna thing may be going or already gone. The trend for devices is that they have to be clean and attractive above all else. Seeing an extra wire would kill some of these people. Just like laptops have to be so thin and light that they cannot have decent processors, cannot cool themselves, and have no keystroke travel.
2007 Tiffin Allegro 28DA

Almot
Explorer III
Explorer III
Geeze, it depends on what devices you need. When building anything under the dinette, make sure it doesn't get in the way. TV-related gizmos can be mounted at the back of TV set. Desktop PC with separate monitor is rarely used by snowbirds these days, laptops are powerful enough for casual tasks. For comfortably watching movies or TV shows you need more than 23" screen anyway.

Separate speakers... nice to have if you can afford the space. Speakers in TV sets suck, but anything with half-decent sound quality tends to be big.

ThomBoles
Explorer
Explorer
My "technology cabinet" consists of a Weboost booster, Pepwave Surf on the Go router and my cellular modem. All will function off 12V (the reason I chose the pepwave) so I don't necessarily have to be hooked to power, a specific convertered plug or running the generator to use them. I work full time in the RV and just don't like to use the laptop monitor so I do have a 24" monitor, keyboard and mouse that I use. I have the laptop sitting off to the side. I carry a small bin of extra cables but go with the attitude that I can get whatever I need in 2 days from Amazon and/or "there's always a walmart".
-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-
Thom and Diane Boles
2010 Winnebago Vista 32K

Fizz
Explorer
Explorer
You might be over thinking this.
After coming back from our first Winter away we packed up two huge bins full of โ€˜stuffโ€™ we never used.
Make this next years project, after you have first hand knowledge of your wants and needs.

Geeze
Explorer
Explorer
GordonThree wrote:
just curious, what will you put in this technology cabinet?

Mine has my cell booster cradle, a small server, a fixed GPS receiver unit, a wireless access point, small network switch, 4g usb modem, small USB hub and a high grade regulated 12v DC-DC converter to power it all.

edit fix some bad grammar

Right now I'm thinking our Verizon 4G Jetpack, wireless bridge, router and possibly a Weboost cell booster. I'm on the fence about getting a Alpha CampPro 2 wifi booster as I'm not sure how much we would use campground wifi.

GordonThree
Explorer
Explorer
just curious, what will you put in this technology cabinet?

Mine has my cell booster cradle, a small server, a fixed GPS receiver unit, a wireless access point, small network switch, 4g usb modem, small USB hub and a high grade regulated 12v DC-DC converter to power it all.

edit fix some bad grammar
2013 KZ Sportsmen Classic 200, 20 ft TT
2020 RAM 1500, 5.7 4x4, 8 speed

Fizz
Explorer
Explorer
When we started out I would bring along the full kit, desktop, monitor, printer, speakers etc.
Soon after everything was replaced with a laptop and iPad.
Now I can do it all on the iPad.
I also have the largest tablet Galaxy View for videos and movies