cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Calling all Springdale and/or Coleman owners

gpeade
Explorer
Explorer
The wife and I are currently considering getting back into the RV life. Kids are grown so until grandkids get here it's just us. We really like the rear living room model TT. Preferably with the two recliners as opposed to dual couches. At the RV show we attended we fell in love with a Springdale 266RL. Yesterday we went dealer shopping and found a Coleman Light LX 2605RL. We both liked the Coleman better. More storage, lighter weight(although not much), and fiberglass exterior. Cosmetically we both liked the Coleman interior better. From what I see the warranty is pretty close between the two also.

The Coleman is also about $1,000 cheaper initially.

If you have any experience with either product I would appreciate your input. Also if you have suggestions for different brands with same floor plan in the same price bracket and weight class. Looking for low 20K and 1/2 ton towable.
19 REPLIES 19

Beachums
Explorer
Explorer
Ironically, I went from a Coleman to a Grand Design. The appliances are nicer in the GD. The surface materials are less cheap. The overall build quality......the same.
My money went into pretty, shiny bits. The bits are no better overall build quality.
2004 Ford Expedition 4X4 3.73 w/quick shift kit
Reese DC Straight Line/ Prodigy P2 Controller
2010 Coleman CT 250 GS

2012Coleman
Explorer
Explorer
Ralph Cramden wrote:
2012Coleman wrote:
That's OK Ralphie - your the author of a lot of BS on this forum, so I cede to your great knowledge and skilled use of all BS here. (I'm pretty sure your "friends" may already know ) :B

OK, Still does not change the fact that in a Grand Design, other than the cabinet doors and drawer fronts which are real wood like many many others, the face frames and cabinets themselves are made of formaldehyde glued particle board with vinyl wood grain covering just like most with some thin veneer plywood thrown in for good measure. The exact same construction and materials as in 90+% of what is out there. There is no shortage of staples, and they use as much Lippert stuff as anyone else from frame on up, if not more. So don't sell yourself short, you're a pretty good BS purveyor in your own right LOL.
Whatever makes you feel good about yourself.
Experience without good judgment is worthless; good judgment without experience is still good judgment!

2018 RAM 3500 Big Horn CTD
2018 Grand Design Reflection 303RLS

Ralph_Cramden
Explorer II
Explorer II
2012Coleman wrote:
That's OK Ralphie - your the author of a lot of BS on this forum, so I cede to your great knowledge and skilled use of all BS here. (I'm pretty sure your "friends" may already know ) :B

OK, Still does not change the fact that in a Grand Design, other than the cabinet doors and drawer fronts which are real wood like many many others, the face frames and cabinets themselves are made of formaldehyde glued particle board with vinyl wood grain covering just like most with some thin veneer plywood thrown in for good measure. The exact same construction and materials as in 90+% of what is out there. There is no shortage of staples, and they use as much Lippert stuff as anyone else from frame on up, if not more. So don't sell yourself short, you're a pretty good BS purveyor in your own right LOL.
Too many geezers, self appointed moderators, experts, and disappearing posts for me. Enjoy. How many times can the same thing be rehashed over and over?

2012Coleman
Explorer
Explorer
Experience without good judgment is worthless; good judgment without experience is still good judgment!

Ralph_Cramden
Explorer II
Explorer II
2012Coleman wrote:
Ralph Cramden wrote:
So I take it Grand Design is not using formaldehyde glued particle board with vinyl wood grain covering for cabinets, staples, or Lipperts cheap PVC upholstered furniture? Oh the humanity.
No they are not. And I don't have to rely on "a friend" to tell me so.

And I call BS...and do not need a friend to tell me that either.
Too many geezers, self appointed moderators, experts, and disappearing posts for me. Enjoy. How many times can the same thing be rehashed over and over?

2012Coleman
Explorer
Explorer
Ralph Cramden wrote:
So I take it Grand Design is not using formaldehyde glued particle board with vinyl wood grain covering for cabinets, staples, or Lipperts cheap PVC upholstered furniture? Oh the humanity.
No they are not. And I don't have to rely on "a friend" to tell me so.

Ralph_Cramden
Explorer II
Explorer II

2012Coleman
Explorer
Explorer
My first TT was a similar Coleman - not sure what has changed since 2012, but it is an entry level trailer. This means cupboards made from formaldehyde glued particle board with vinyl wood grain covering. Stapled together dinette with fabric that will start separating at the seams within a year. You will also need better tires - upgraded to Maxxis in less than 20 trips with it. I was not able to leave any towels/clothes in it as they would absorb that smell and need to be washed. Had to air it out before each use, and used lots of clear tape to stick that wood grain back on in the bathroom vanity. Almost lost my license plate because the cheap plastic holders broke before the first year.

Service at CW was abysmal - took it for warranty repairs, and they lost it - turns out they put it on the for sale lot with the other used TT's and people were going through it. Called THOR customer service from a number on a sticker in a cabinet because my roof was bubbling - didn't hear back from them.

First trip in the hot Florida summer, the AC blew up on the first night - wires were somehow crossed and cause d a short. They look nice sitting on the lot, but go down hill quickly.

If your looking for a better alternative, check out the Imagine series from Grand Design.

wjlapier
Explorer
Explorer
We owned a Springdale for a couple of years. Took it to Montana twice, once all the way to Yellowstone. Never really had any problems with it. Before that we had a Starcraft Autumn Ridge for about three years. I felt the Starcraft's interior was superior to the Springdale though. Then we recently purchased a Grand Design Imagine. What a great trailer. Much better built than the Springdale. Just a nicer trailer all around. I'm certain we'll stick with Grand Design and move over to a fifth wheel next. Grand Design does have a RL Imagine--our's is a RB ( rear bath ).
2019 Chevrolet 3500HD LTZ DRW
2023 Host Everest

Ralph_Cramden
Explorer II
Explorer II
Not sure why you want to limit yourself to one dealer and in the case of the Coleman Brand Name limit yourself to dealing with Camping World. Most everyone makes a floor plan very similar. Have you looked at Forest Rivers Heritage Glen Hyper Lyte or Salem Hemisphere Hyper Lyte 26RLHL?

Someone posted those models you're looking at are entry level because they use vinyl covered particle board for cabinet frames and staples. That's a load of BS. So does about 99% of every manufacturer or brand in existence. I'd like to see the list of manufacturers and brands that use plywood or hardwood for cabinet frames and screws everywhere with no staples. It will be a very short list.

The most misused words/terms on RV forums are "entry level" and "lightweight". Determining if something is entry level is no more than personal opinion, and determining that something is built somehow cheaper because they use lightweight on a brochure or website is nothing more than marketing.

gpeade
Explorer
Explorer
trail-explorer wrote:
gpeade wrote:
... cheaper initially.

What does that mean?

The Coleman is priced about $1,000 cheaper than the Springdale of the same floor plan. By “initially” I was referring to the price of the unit only. Not including all the dealers fees and **** they tack on.

K-9_HANDLER
Explorer
Explorer
Bought my springdale new in 06, no issues. Would buy again.
Camping near home at Assateague National Seashore with our wild four legged friends

trail-explorer
Explorer
Explorer

trail-explorer
Explorer
Explorer
gpeade wrote:
... cheaper initially.

What does that mean?
Bob