cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Blown Frige Fuse - In A Bind!

Dave_H_M
Explorer
Explorer
I just happen to be at the stick house with the fifth wheel plugged into the garage. only thing I had running was the frige. All appeared well two days ago. Went out just now and frige was off. Discovered the 15 amp DC fuse blown. New one blows immediately. Furnace apparently runs on the same circuit - it is dead also but had not been running.

So what do you think. We were supposed to leave for the East coast early on Wed. No mobile techs round here. :R

Thanks
11 REPLIES 11

Dave_H_M
Explorer
Explorer
i agree Matt, it could have been that bundle I took apart by mistake and fiddled around to long in the cold getting it back together right. :h

The thing is running great as we speak.

Matt_Colie
Explorer
Explorer
BTDT.....

When you have a chance, go back and inspect all the wires you touched. If one of the abraded on another, you can create this problem. I chased one like this in an owner's coach for a month. It would go away when ever I looked at and then come back when they used the coach. This is why I hate mystery fixes.....
When I FINALLY found it, all it took was heat shrink and redressing the harness. I didn't bill him at my normal rate....

Matt
Matt & Mary Colie
A sailor, his bride and their black dogs (one dear dog is waiting for us at the bridge) going to see some dry places that have Geocaches in a coach made the year we married.

Chris_Bryant
Explorer
Explorer
Itโ€™s not likely to be the fridge, as it has a 3 amp fuse first thing on the board, unless it is a short in the harness between terminals and board (the safety stuff).
-- Chris Bryant

Dusty_R
Explorer
Explorer
Google your make, model, & year of your fifth wheel and see if you can pull up a wiring diagram. Then see what all is on the same circuit.

Dusty

Dave_H_M
Explorer
Explorer
House batt been in there for three months without me touching it.

Nothing out of the ordinary. :h

If she pops in a day or two it won't surprise me. We will see, but I thought maybe someone who has been down this road might chime in.

BFL13
Explorer II
Explorer II
The fridge needs to be left on for a time before declaring victory. In the OP it ran at first but later it was found with the blown fuse.

Is part of the story missing? Perhaps doing something with the house batteries in preparation for the trip?
1. 1991 Oakland 28DB Class C
on Ford E350-460-7.5 Gas EFI
Photo in Profile
2. 1991 Bighorn 9.5ft Truck Camper on 2003 Chev 2500HD 6.0 Gas
See Profile for Electronic set-ups for 1. and 2.

Dave_H_M
Explorer
Explorer
bump

Dave_H_M
Explorer
Explorer
It is a Dometic RV Frige. When this problem cropped up it was plugged into shore power and running on gas because i had set it for gas.

Sorry about the lack of info.

I am going to do BLF's suggestion and be back on later this eve. live in the sticks and have to take a ride to the city.

Follow UP: :h So I undid some wires in the back of the frige - Yeah bull in a chin shop. I disconnected the three that had a wire nut - wrong. Found the 12V power supply and disconnected it. Stuck a fuse in and it showed 12V at the back of the frige and the heater worked. So, I thought here we go and plugged the 12V power back into the terminal on the back of the frige and the fire works did not go off. What the hey. hooked all back together, went inside and hit the on button and the frige indicted it was happy.

What do you folks think. Should i throw something at it for the hey of it?

thanks again.

sempka
Explorer
Explorer
dom101 wrote:
You didn't mention if its a rv fridge or house type. Also if its a rv fridge you could try running it on propane only

12 volt DC is needed for the rv fridge to run on propane.
2000 Holiday Rambler Admiral

dom101
Explorer
Explorer
You didn't mention if its a rv fridge or house type. Also if its a rv fridge you could try running it on propane only

BFL13
Explorer II
Explorer II
First thing IMO is get a handful off 15 amp fuses, disconnect the 12v at the back of the fridge and try it with the furnace to see if it works. You want to know if it just the fridge or just the furnace with the short. Or anything else on that circuit--test that separately.

Once narrowed down, depends what to do next.
1. 1991 Oakland 28DB Class C
on Ford E350-460-7.5 Gas EFI
Photo in Profile
2. 1991 Bighorn 9.5ft Truck Camper on 2003 Chev 2500HD 6.0 Gas
See Profile for Electronic set-ups for 1. and 2.