cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Should I even consider a new TV with repaired lot damage?

trailernovice
Explorer
Explorer
I mentioned on my 'considering a holdover 18' thread that I'm looking at a particular truck (new leftover 2018 model)...we were talking rough numbers today, when the dealer assistant GM comes up to tell me, 'we need to let you know--that truck had lot damage...a porter backed another vehicle into the passenger door, scraping about 2 feet'...damage was repaired in-house at the dealership body shop'...

I'm having them put together the 'before' pictures along with the repair documentation..

Apparently the charge from one side of the dealership to the other for the repair was right at $900...I can't even see where the scrape was/where the repair was, but the dealership GM put it out there that any competent car lot would notice if/when I were to sell or trade

Should I just walk away from this one? or use the 'now it's worth even LESS to me' angle as leverage (already put the 'i don't care if it's new or not...it's last year's truck' line of reasoning into play)
Glenn and Toni
2019 Jayco JayFlight SLX8 264 BH
2019 Ram 1500 5.7 3.21 gears
Reese round bar w/d with sway control
31 REPLIES 31

JALLEN4
Explorer
Explorer
Most every state has a law on the books with a threshold amount where the dealer would not need to disclose the damage to the consumer. This can easily be found for each state by googling the topic. The amount generally runs in the 5% of MSRP range. Interestingly enough there is no law about damage at the plant before shipment to the dealer. This is not an uncommon occurrence and repairs are most often made before shipment.

If I were buying the vehicle, I would ask to see the repair order where the vehicle was repaired. As long as the amount was relatively a small amount for the repair and visually it looks OK, buying it is not a bad decision.

mich800
Explorer
Explorer
And I would have no issues purchasing it if repaired correctly.

mich800
Explorer
Explorer
I believe most states have regulations on when/if the damage needs to be disclosed. Maybe this repair fell under this regulation. I would be surprised if they just voluntarily offered this info. Carfax has agreements with certain software vendors that automotive companies use. The dealer does not necessarily send to Carfax, it is the licensed software under agreement. So maybe they coded it in such a way that Carfax would see it and they did not want the buyer coming back on them.

For the record, I have no idea why they disclosed this. Only a scenario that would make it plausible. Other than just their altruistic view on sales. Which may very well be the case.

2Rad4U
Explorer II
Explorer II
The funny thing is the people riding around unaware their vehicle had damage repaired prior to delivery.

And still on the high horse... lol
Chris
2005 Rockwood 2516G (sold)
2005 Max-Lite 24RS (sold)
2019 Rockwood 2608BS (sold)
2020 Grand Design 337RLS
2018 Chevy 2500HD

Dave_H_M
Explorer
Explorer
A lot of uppidy expression here I think.

That deal would not bother me in the least if all is like new.

We just had the left rear door and quarter fixed on the DW's Highlander. I bet for the most part no one could tell which side the damage was repaired on. And that was a 3500 ding.

deltabravo
Nomad
Nomad
To me it would depend on the extent of the damage. If it was paint damage only, I might consider buying it. If there was sheet metal damage, NOPE, I wouldn't want it.
2009 Silverado 3500HD Dually, D/A, CCLB 4x4 (bought new 8/30/09)
2018 Arctic Fox 992 with an Onan 2500i "quiet" model generator

danrclem
Explorer
Explorer
Old-Biscuit wrote:

1 month from now someone will dent it with a shopping cart in a parking lot, rock will chip it driving down the hwy and sudden wind storm will sand blast the windshield......or while texting somebody will T-Bone it.

I bought a new 1988 F250 Supercab that I ordered just the way I wanted. I didn't have it very long and was very protective of it. I parked it out in the parking lot at Walmart away from other cars just to come out and find a shopping cart up against it with a chunk of paint missing. This was a fairly level parking lot too. To say that I was upset would be an understatement. It was probably a good thing for the person who did this and myself that I didn't see it happen.

Ralph_Cramden
Explorer II
Explorer II
2Rad4U wrote:
I worked at a Chevy dealer and this was common. Damage happens all the time in the delivery process.

Kudos to the dealer for being up front about it.

My 2018 had a couple of "door dings" from the lot. The dealer had them fixed for me and I can't tell they were there.

I would buy the truck if it fit my needs.

More common than most people are aware of.
Too many geezers, self appointed moderators, experts, and disappearing posts for me. Enjoy. How many times can the same thing be rehashed over and over?

2Rad4U
Explorer II
Explorer II
I worked at a Chevy dealer and this was common. Damage happens all the time in the delivery process.

Kudos to the dealer for being up front about it.

My 2018 had a couple of "door dings" from the lot. The dealer had them fixed for me and I can't tell they were there.

I would buy the truck if it fit my needs.
Chris
2005 Rockwood 2516G (sold)
2005 Max-Lite 24RS (sold)
2019 Rockwood 2608BS (sold)
2020 Grand Design 337RLS
2018 Chevy 2500HD

time2roll
Explorer II
Explorer II
Does the door perfectly close and sound the same as the others?
I have had doors fixed... never quite the same. Yes that would bug me enough to pass. Your call.

ib516
Explorer
Explorer
Would that damage even show up on a carfax? It wasn't an insurance claim by a private owner, it was taken care of "in house".
Prev: 2010 Cougar 322QBS (junk)
02 Dodge 2500 4x4 5.9L CTD 3.55
07 Dodge 3500 4x4 SRW Mega 5.9L CTD 3.73
14 Ram 2500 4x4 Crew 6.4L Hemi 4.10
06 Chevy 1500 4x4 E-Cab 3.73 5.3L
07 Dodge 1500 5.7L Hemi 3.55 / 2010 Jayco 17z
All above are sold, no longer own an RV

Old-Biscuit
Explorer II
Explorer II
It is routine for dealer body shop to repair NEW Cars right off of the transport trailers.....

DO you like the truck?
Do the rough numbers look like it will be a good deal?
Yes/Yes---Buy it
Yes/NO........do some more negotiating until numbers are right...then buy it.

1 month from now someone will dent it with a shopping cart in a parking lot, rock will chip it driving down the hwy and sudden wind storm will sand blast the windshield......or while texting somebody will T-Bone it.
Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31

Johno02
Explorer
Explorer
If they make you a good enough deal, take it. You will probably get worse damage in a parking lot.
Noel and Betty Johnson (and Harry)

2005 GulfStream Ultra Supreme, 1 Old grouch, 1 wonderful wife, and two silly poodles.

danrclem
Explorer
Explorer
If you can't spot the fix then 99% of the public probably wouldn't be able to spot it either. If it cost $900 at a dealer's rate then there couldn't have been that much damage.

Use your knowledge of the repair to try and get a lower price. If you're going
to keep it for a long time I'd still try to get it if the price is right.

Sounds like you've got an honest dealer especially if it didn't make it to Car Fax.