cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

"van" heater in a TT?

GordonThree
Explorer
Explorer
Been seeing these things advertised (aka "reviewed") like crazy on youtube... the little diesel heaters that supposedly "sip" fuel and electric, compared to the propane blower type furnace.

So I've got to thinking how and where would I put one in my little travel trailer...

I'm thinking having it exhaust through the floor would be easier, I could install it in a mostly unused dinette seat storage area. There's no holding tanks, electric or plumbing under the seat, but there is about 6" of fiber glass insulation and the underbelly liner.

The other option would be to vent it through a wall somewhere, but accessible wall space is very limited. likely inside a kitchen cabinet but electric inside the wall would be an unknown.

I've only found one video of an Australian who installed one through the floor in an hybrid trailer, but his underbelly was not insulated and no liner either.

Ideas, thoughts?
2013 KZ Sportsmen Classic 200, 20 ft TT
2020 RAM 1500, 5.7 4x4, 8 speed
9 REPLIES 9

Chris_Bryant
Explorer
Explorer
GordonThree wrote:
Chris Bryant wrote:
They must vent out the floor with these, they cannot be installed on their side. I put a gasoline version in a motor home, insulted the exhaust as it passed through the basement, but it keeps it warm.

Good to know, so it has a "this end up" on it. Could I put a 90 on the exhaust and intake?

Should work fine to do that- the installation kit has stainless flex pipe for the exhaust..
-- Chris Bryant

neil57
Explorer
Explorer
Webasto and Espar are the original players in market, Webasto makes many models for truck, car, marine and Rv. I have used their products for 15 yrs. and no problems. They make an air heater unit that puts out 55k. I would wonder at the Chinese knock off quaulity and parts support. The Webasto will operate on kerosene also.
2009 2500HD Sierra CC DA
2014 Crossroads Cruiser 35ss

GordonThree
Explorer
Explorer
Agree on that, but less BTU is what I'm after. Typical I can stay toasty with a pair of 1500w heaters, but need shore power for that. Of course an electric heater is 100% efficient, the diesel unit would be considerably less so.

So maybe the 5kw unit would suffice, and the propane unit serves as aux heat if it gets extra cold.

carringb
Explorer
Explorer
BTU's won't match the furnaces installed in most TTs. A larger diesel heater, usually intended for marine applications, might work better.
2000 Ford E450 V10 VAN! 450,000+ miles
2014 ORV really big trailer
2015 Ford Focus ST

Shadow_Catcher
Explorer
Explorer
I have an Eberspacher the German version. they work well are not particularly loud, Check for Youtube video.

GordonThree
Explorer
Explorer
midnightsadie wrote:
I,ve been watching them to, looks great, wonder how much noise they make. might do a google on use and reviews.

The variable speed fan and combustion rate is what really has my interest. although that same feature seems to lead to soot related failures of the unit.

everything i'm seeing on google is for class B type campers, and a few class C. doesn't seem to be much interest in the trailer arena.

midnightsadie
Explorer II
Explorer II
I,ve been watching them to, looks great, wonder how much noise they make. might do a google on use and reviews.

GordonThree
Explorer
Explorer
Chris Bryant wrote:
They must vent out the floor with these, they cannot be installed on their side. I put a gasoline version in a motor home, insulted the exhaust as it passed through the basement, but it keeps it warm.

Good to know, so it has a "this end up" on it. Could I put a 90 on the exhaust and intake?

Chris_Bryant
Explorer
Explorer
-- Chris Bryant