Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

TT Slide - Using while inside the trailer

bedpan
Explorer
Explorer
Hey folks..

Getting new trailer this week replacing a little guy we had a few years ago. The new trailer has a slide which I have not had before.

I was watching a video on slide maintenance earlier and it mentions that you should not walk on the slide unless it is fully extended. Any truth to this? It says this is because the floor is unsupported unless it is extended.

We do a lot of Walmart camping where we may not want to use the slide. To late now, but I would have probably not bought a slide had I know this prior..

Thoughts?

Thanks

Mike
14 REPLIES 14

bedpan
Explorer
Explorer
Pickup the trailer today. Dealer states to stay off the slide floor while it is retracted.. It is raised and flexible...

I just re-read you post there Carringb.. I like the idea of the plastic shims. The first time I missed the plastic part and was thinking about cedar shims.. Plastic sounds like a quick easy idea. I may even put something on the floor so the pop out automagically on extension.

carringb wrote:
I carry some plastic carpenter's shims, and wedge them under the edge fo the slide floor if I need to use it while retracted. It mostly certainly flexes more than I'm comfortable with, without the wedges. The carpet conceals them, so you can't even tell other than it makes the slide floor stable.

Dick_B
Explorer
Explorer
I, for one, would not give up our slide just so I can park in a Walmart parking lot; which we have never done anyway.
Dick_B
2003 SunnyBrook 27FKS
2011 3/4 T Chevrolet Suburban
Equal-i-zer Hitch
One wife, two electric bikes (both Currie Tech Path+ models)

carringb
Explorer
Explorer
bedpan wrote:
Thanks for the suggestion.....

I was thinking I could maybe use a piece of 1/2 stripping to provide support while retracted. Just need to remember to remove them prior to extending.. I will have a closer look on Friday..

Thanks!

carringb wrote:
I carry some plastic carpenter's shims, and wedge them under the edge fo the slide floor if I need to use it while retracted. It mostly certainly flexes more than I'm comfortable with, without the wedges. The carpet conceals them, so you can't even tell other than it makes the slide floor stable.

With the plastic shims, the floor just slides off them then the end of the shim hits the carpet strips under the slide. It's so automatic, I don't even bother trying to remove them first.
2000 Ford E450 V10 VAN! 450,000+ miles
2014 ORV really big trailer
2015 Ford Focus ST

goducks10
Explorer
Explorer
Just put something under the leading edge. Been doing it that way for years.

I also taped a note right next to the slide switch to not forget.

bedpan
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for the suggestion.....

I was thinking I could maybe use a piece of 1/2 stripping to provide support while retracted. Just need to remember to remove them prior to extending.. I will have a closer look on Friday..

Thanks!

carringb wrote:

carringb
Explorer
Explorer
2000 Ford E450 V10 VAN! 450,000+ miles
2014 ORV really big trailer
2015 Ford Focus ST

wanderingbob
Explorer II
Explorer II
With care in selecting your spot at Wal-Mart it is usually possible to open slides , we do ! Sam Walton told me it was OK when I saw him and Elvis at the hardware store !

Mickeyfan0805
Explorer
Explorer
bedpan wrote:
Thanks Jerry,

I suspect mine is not walkable. I am surprised none of the sales people mentioned it during and of my viewings. As there was usually discussions with them of how we used it....

I will confirm on Friday I guess.

Mike

Don't know what you mean by 'confirming,' but I would confirm with the manufacturer, not the salesperson. They may act like they know the answer, but you will never know whether or not they actually do!

bedpan
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks Schlep...

I am not to worried about the levels.. I leave the fridge running while driving so I try and level up pretty close anywhere I park. It is another thing to think about for sure when its sitting in my driveway where I cannot level to well.

Cheers,

Mike

schlep1967
Explorer III
Explorer III
There are many different slide systems out there. Whether this applies to the one you are buying or not is a question for the manufacturer. But since you are worrying here is another thing thing for you to worry about. With every slide trailer I have checked the instructions on it said not to deploy the slides unless the trailer is level and the stabilizers are deployed. Yet every trailer I walk into on an RV lot is not level, does not have the stabilizers deployed and the slides are out.....
2021 Chevy Silverado LTZ 3500 Diesel
2022 Montana Legacy 3931FB
Pull-Rite Super Glide 4500

bedpan
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks Jerry,

I suspect mine is not walkable. I am surprised none of the sales people mentioned it during and of my viewings. As there was usually discussions with them of how we used it....

I will confirm on Friday I guess.

Mike

RoyF
Explorer
Explorer
I have never had a problem with slides out at a Walmart, and I have slides on both sides. Parking at the extreme end of a row where there are no cars or next to a curb with one slide hanging over the curb leaves enough room for slides.

ScottG
Nomad
Nomad
Yes, it's true.
The floor of the slide wil be cantilevered when not fully extended. Stepping on the front edge puts a lot of strain on the flooring.
According to Northwood manufacturing, if it has rollers underneath then you risk pulling the floor away from the wall. Dont know that this is really true though because it seems to have a lot of support.
If it has a white plastic strip across the front that it slides on, you risk breaking it.
That's exactly what I did on our last TT. I repeatedly stepped on the edge and broke the guide strip. It was a lot of work to fix!

MFL
Nomad II
Nomad II
Some slides are okay to walk/step on, but many are not. If yours tips up, as it retracts, and is lifted on the edge when fully retracted, then it likely is not one to step on.

Jerry