cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Should I replace my roof?

Halmfamily
Explorer
Explorer
We have a 2015 FR Sierra fifth wheel. The current roof has a factory defect where the top color coat is coming off. The roof is water tight and the defect does not effect the integrity of the EPDM.

That being said Dicor has given us two options. Option one they will give us $1000 and honor the remaining roof warranty. Option two is to have the roof replaced. They will send new roofing material and all installation materials to whomever we would like to install the new roof. They will also pay $2750 towards the labor as well.

So my question is.... replace the roof or take the $1000. I'm leaning towards a roof replacement.
2008 GMC Sierra 3500 SLT DRW D/A 4x4 (Big All)
2006 Ford F350 PSD SRW King Ranch 4x4 (Henry) (Sold)
B&W Companion, 90 Aux Fuel Tank, Scan Gauge II, Curt f/m hitch, Swagman XC
2015 Forest River Sierra 360 PDEK
DW Diane, DS Michael, FB Draco and Sabian
18 REPLIES 18

shadows4
Explorer III
Explorer III
schlep1967 wrote:
Find a local shop that would like the supplies and have it sent to them. Then take the $2,750 and put it towards a flexArmor roof.

X2 What he said!!!!
2016 4X4 F350,CC,SB,Lariat,6.7L diesel,
2015 Coachmen Chapparal 324 TSRK
B&W Patriot 16K hitch.

B_O__Plenty
Explorer II
Explorer II
Grit dog wrote:
Beings this is rvnut.com, Iโ€™ll throw in asking for lemon law and a full purchase price buyback! Lol
There is NO lemon law for non-motorized RVs. There is a lot more to Automotive lemon laws than you think. Most require 3 attempts to fix the same problem. If they have to buy it back they deduct depreciation and miles. Best to try and get it fixed.
B.O.
Former Ram/Cummins owner
2015 Silverado 3500 D/A DRW
Yup I'm a fanboy!
2016 Cedar Creek 36CKTS

schlep1967
Explorer III
Explorer III
Find a local shop that would like the supplies and have it sent to them. Then take the $2,750 and put it towards a flexArmor roof.
2021 Chevy Silverado LTZ 3500 Diesel
2022 Montana Legacy 3931FB
Pull-Rite Super Glide 4500

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
Beings this is rvnut.com, Iโ€™ll throw in asking for lemon law and a full purchase price buyback! Lol
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

2012Coleman
Explorer
Explorer
Halmfamily wrote:
winnietrey wrote:
If you have it replaced, what happens with the warranty? My concern would be it fails, Dicor blames the install, installer blames Dicor. And round and round. That assuming of course, the installer is still in business 10 years from now

Second, how long to you plan to keep it, and how much would the cosmetics bother you? And how would a ugly roof affect resale.

Not sure what I would do, but those are things I would consider

This is exactly my quandary. I'm going to push for more money as I can live with the roof the way it is. If they are willing to pay $2750 plus give the material at no charge them they can cough up more money for me.
Wow - If I were you, I'd look into FlexArmor. The lifetime warranty transfers to the new owner if you sell it, and could be a great bargaining chip. Plus you never have to worry about leakage again.
Experience without good judgment is worthless; good judgment without experience is still good judgment!

2018 RAM 3500 Big Horn CTD
2018 Grand Design Reflection 303RLS

Halmfamily
Explorer
Explorer
winnietrey wrote:
If you have it replaced, what happens with the warranty? My concern would be it fails, Dicor blames the install, installer blames Dicor. And round and round. That assuming of course, the installer is still in business 10 years from now

Second, how long to you plan to keep it, and how much would the cosmetics bother you? And how would a ugly roof affect resale.

This is exactly my quandary. I'm going to push for more money as I can live with the roof the way it is. If they are willing to pay $2750 plus give the material at no charge them they can cough up more money for me.
2008 GMC Sierra 3500 SLT DRW D/A 4x4 (Big All)
2006 Ford F350 PSD SRW King Ranch 4x4 (Henry) (Sold)
B&W Companion, 90 Aux Fuel Tank, Scan Gauge II, Curt f/m hitch, Swagman XC
2015 Forest River Sierra 360 PDEK
DW Diane, DS Michael, FB Draco and Sabian

honda1
Explorer
Explorer
option 3 , send me new material & the $2,750.00 & i'll figure out what i want to do .

^^^ Good question above ^^^

That being said, I think I would also take the NEW ROOF option..
Me-Her-the kids
2020 Ford F350 SD 6.7
2020 Redwood 3991RD Garnet

winnietrey
Explorer
Explorer

monkey44
Nomad II
Nomad II
Let's see, they will send full materials for a roof (cost ??) AND pay $2750 for an installer.

OR, offer you $1000 to walk away - I'd raise the stakes a little and ask for more money, and continue the warranty. Negotiations never start and stop with the first offer. I'd get a little more "walk-away" money, AND the remaining warranty.
Monkey44
Cape Cod Ma & Central Fla
Chevy 2500HD 4x4 DC-SB
2008 Lance 845
Back-country camping fanatic

dodge_guy
Explorer
Explorer
I would find a shop that has great reviews especially for roof replacement.

Itโ€™s still new enough that I would want a quality repair!
Wife Kim
Son Brandon 17yrs
Daughter Marissa 16yrs
Dog Bailey

12 Forest River Georgetown 350TS Hellwig sway bars, BlueOx TrueCenter stabilizer

13 Ford Explorer Roadmaster Stowmaster 5000, VIP Tow>
A bad day camping is
better than a good day at work!

DrewE
Explorer
Explorer
I probably would buck the trend and go for option one. If there's no suggestion that the existing roof will fail to do its job over its expected lifetime, then why replace it? How many people are going to look at a roof and see that it's not as pretty looking as it should be? Will the installer of the replacement roof do a proper job (with the budget they provide you with), including replacing or installing another layer of sheathing under the roof so the glue will stick properly?

$1000 covers a fair few nights of camping or gas for miles of travel.

camperdave
Explorer
Explorer
Chrisatthebeach wrote:
A 4 year newer roof for no charge?

I get to pick the installer so I know it is done right?

REPLACE IT for sure.

If you pick the right shop to do the job it should be better than the rush job at the assembly line.

"Free" if you can find someone to install it for $2750...
2004 Fleetwood Tioga 29v

Chrisatthebeach
Explorer
Explorer
A 4 year newer roof for no charge?

I get to pick the installer so I know it is done right?

REPLACE IT for sure.

If you pick the right shop to do the job it should be better than the rush job at the assembly line.
Chris & Dianne
Jayco Designer 3110 SOLD 6-11-2016, looking for the next one.
F250 PSD 4x4 Crew Cab