cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Yamaha ef2400ishc generator

ridemtra
Explorer
Explorer
Who's successfully running their 13,5000 a/c units with no startup issues and if any other appliances are running at the same time This would be without the addition of a micro-air start-up kit installed
8 REPLIES 8

2edgesword
Explorer
Explorer
ridemtra wrote:
Who's successfully running their 13,5000 a/c units with no startup issues and if any other appliances are running at the same time This would be without the addition of a micro-air start-up kit installed

I've started and run a 13.5K A/C with the Yamaha. Every now and then it would trigger the overload switch so I added a Supco hard start capacitor and that eliminated the issue. You can't run other high power appliances while running the A/C (coffee maker, microwave, hair dryer, electric grill, etc.) so during the few minutes you're using those things you have to shut off the A/C.

tragusa3
Explorer
Explorer
jjrbus wrote:
VEry disappointed in 1st video, no elevation, temp, humidity. A Honda 2000 will start and run a 13.5k roof air on a 75 degree day!

Much better on 2nd video with details.

My own personal opinion 2400 watts is going to be starting a 13.5 in brownout conditions and one of them will have a shorter life.

Now order a MIcro Aire and show us what that will do.

Sorry you were disappointed. PM me your address and I will give you a complete refund. ๐Ÿ™‚

I agree with the thought that the 2400 is marginal for the task. That said, it worked for us many times. It is an impressive piece of engineering.
New to us 2011 Tiffin Allegro Open Road 34TGA
Join us on the road at Rolling Ragu on YouTube!

2manytoyz
Explorer
Explorer
I have the predecessor model, the EF2400iS. Yours has a higher start capacity than mine.

I have no problems running my Dometic 13,500 BTU A/C unit with other small appliances running.

But let me show you why this is a difficult task for even a 3000W generator.

The average ammeter is too slow to measure actual startup current. The spike happens very quickly, and it's difficult to get the compressor turning.

It takes just over a 50A spike to start my A/C. But the current immediately drops off to 10.5A afterwards.

Can't run the microwave or wife's hair dryer at the same time. But TV, lights, etc., no problem.

FWIW, the Yamaha 2400 series uses the same sized motor as the 2800W and 3000W models. This is why it can do the job, where others of a similar size can't.

Had this generator 13 years, used it at home, while traveling with the TT, and for days at my father's house on the mainland when we had to evacuate for hurricanes. Really is an excellent product.
Robert
Merritt Island, FL
2023 Thor Quantum KW29
2006 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited TOAD
2023 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon TOAD
Falcon 2 Towbar, Roadmaster 9400 Even Brake System
http://www.2manytoyz.com/

jjrbus
Explorer
Explorer
VEry disappointed in 1st video, no elevation, temp, humidity. A Honda 2000 will start and run a 13.5k roof air on a 75 degree day!

Much better on 2nd video with details.

My own personal opinion 2400 watts is going to be starting a 13.5 in brownout conditions and one of them will have a shorter life.

Now order a MIcro Aire and show us what that will do.

ridemtra
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for the advice Sounds like a 2400 is at it's limits if anything else was running Smarter to opt for the 3000

naturist
Nomad
Nomad
Not me.

That said, a 2400 watt generator ought to run the average 13,500 btu AC with capacity to run some other things. But how many is going to depend on the total wattage, pure and simple. It ain't rocket science, it is pure arithmetic. Surge AC wattage, plus converter operating draw, plus watts going to recharge the battery at that moment (varies, depending on state of battery), plus draw of each thing you want to run at the same time, total is less than 2400, you are golden. Total is more than 2400, you are brown and smelly.

tragusa3
Explorer
Explorer
Here's a video I did of mine running my 13.5, after installing a hard start capacitor. There is a part 2 to the video as well. Hope it helps. Yamaha 2400 ishc running 13.5btu
New to us 2011 Tiffin Allegro Open Road 34TGA
Join us on the road at Rolling Ragu on YouTube!

ROBERTSUNRUS
Explorer
Explorer
ridemtra wrote:
Who's successfully running their 13,500 a/c units with no startup issues and if any other appliances are running at the same time This would be without the addition of a micro-air start-up kit installed

๐Ÿ™‚ Hi, my Yamaha 2400is ran my 11,000 BTU air conditioner, my refrigerator, my converter, and a small TV at a slightly high altitude. I recently installed a Micro-Air, but haven't used it this way yet.
๐Ÿ™‚ Bob ๐Ÿ™‚
2005 Airstream Safari 25-B
2000 Lincoln Navigator
2014 F-150 Ecoboost
Equal-i-zer
Yamaha 2400