cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Chocks for "No Load Hitch" wheels

toedtoes
Explorer II
Explorer II
I have a 1998 Fold n Roll trailer. It has a patent pending (as of 1998) no load hitch. This is basically two small airplane tires mounted under the hitch on a 360 degree swivel.

I am trying to find a chock (or pair) that will keep the trailer from moving AND the front tires from spinning when I have to level the back tires on boards.

Aircraft Spruce suggested this but I don't think it will stop the tires from spinning.

Any ideas?

I'm thinking I may have to make a U shaped wood chock that is tall enough that the tires can't spin right over it. But if anyone has a ready made suggestion or better idea for a homemade, I'm interested.

Thanks.
1975 American Clipper RV with Dodge 360 (photo in profile)
1998 American Clipper Fold n Roll Folding Trailer
Both born in Morgan Hill, CA to Irv Perch (Daddy of the Aristocrat trailers)
24 REPLIES 24

toedtoes
Explorer II
Explorer II
I'm not removing the wheels. This is how the trailer was made and I intend to keep it original. NRALIFR has provided me with a great diagram and I will be putting it into effect. I thank everyone for their suggestions.

Jacksons
Explorer
Explorer
if you use lynx leveling blocks they have a wheel chock that works great (rear wheels) link to lynx video
2002 Rockwood 8272s
2005 Yukon xl Denali 6.0
The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government.
Thomas Jefferson

Heiny57
Explorer
Explorer
I’m not sure what the advantages are of having the tires on there gives you. Thousands of trailers don’t have them. It seems like it would give someone the idea they could easily push it around until it got away from them and crashed into something. I would remove them and use as every other camper is designed. ?????

wnjj
Explorer II
Explorer II
toedtoes wrote:
wnjj wrote:
If the rear axle is chocked solidly (front and back of each tire), why is anything needed at the front? A conventional trailer should not be relying on the tongue jack to prevent movement. How is this one any different in that regard?

Because of the front tires, I can only lower the front so much. I have been where the parking pad is at a slope so that the rear is too low. In those cases, I have to raise the rear axle on blocks and then I can't chock them.

In addition, because the front tires swivel 360 degrees, sometimes when the dogs move around a lot, the movement can cause the front to swivel which in turn moves the rest of the trailer.

So, by chocking the front tires against movement and swivel, I make the entire trailer more movement proof.

I get the minimal movement thing, but you really should continue to chock the rear tires, even on blocks. Get longer blocks if you need to and/or ones you can lock chocks into.

toedtoes
Explorer II
Explorer II
I'll add that this no load hitch changes the standarx "trailer handling" that you come to expect.

The other day, my boss wanted to move the trailer after I unhitched it. He said "let's just push it back in, it's not that heavy". I let him. The front tires swiveled 360 on him and he realized there was no way to steer it. Had to get the forlift attachment to back it in.

It's just different 🙂

toedtoes
Explorer II
Explorer II
wnjj wrote:
If the rear axle is chocked solidly (front and back of each tire), why is anything needed at the front? A conventional trailer should not be relying on the tongue jack to prevent movement. How is this one any different in that regard?

Because of the front tires, I can only lower the front so much. I have been where the parking pad is at a slope so that the rear is too low. In those cases, I have to raise the rear axle on blocks and then I can't chock them.

In addition, because the front tires swivel 360 degrees, sometimes when the dogs move around a lot, the movement can cause the front to swivel which in turn moves the rest of the trailer.

So, by chocking the front tires against movement and swivel, I make the entire trailer more movement proof.

wnjj
Explorer II
Explorer II

toedtoes
Explorer II
Explorer II
I didn't think I'd find one. They do show up occasionally, but you have to be quick.

Jebby14
Explorer
Explorer
shame they aren't common. I would be all over something like that.
Q: Whats brown and sticky???

A: A Stick....

toedtoes
Explorer II
Explorer II
Boband4 wrote:
Recommend one for each side, and they pin together to totally enclose both wheels. Two individual units will also be easier to handle than one larger single unit.

Thanks. Yep, that's the plan. Eye screws and rope to connect them for ease of carrying too.

toedtoes
Explorer II
Explorer II
Jebby14 wrote:
on a side note........

that camper is friggin sweet

Thanks! I love it! Less than 100 made. Two full size dedicated beds inside. Made by Irv Perch who also made my clipper class C.

Jebby14
Explorer
Explorer
on a side note........

that camper is friggin sweet
Q: Whats brown and sticky???

A: A Stick....

Boband4
Explorer
Explorer
Recommend one for each side, and they pin together to totally enclose both wheels. Two individual units will also be easier to handle than one larger single unit.

toedtoes
Explorer II
Explorer II
Definitely one for each wheel. As I was looking at it, I realized if there wasn't another one on the other side, there would be nothing to keep the tires from turning and pushing the chock out.

I think that is going to be my best bet and they won't be so big that I can't easily store them.

Thanks again!