cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Ducted AC Unit to Ductless Conversion

dashoe4697
Explorer
Explorer
So a friend gave me an Atwood AT-15033 roof top AC Unit, brand new. Its a ducted unit and I am wondering if I can install it on my trailer but convert it to a ductless since my trailer doesnt have ducts. Maybe just change the lower control. Anyone here a guru on these Roof AC Units.
11 REPLIES 11

Acdii
Explorer
Explorer
Thread resurrection! I have an Advent that is ducted, however, to switch between having the air blow from the grill to blow through the vents, there are three sliding doors on the grill, no other controls other than the thermostat on the wall. It could be as simple as just finding the correct grill.

Gulfcoast
Explorer
Explorer
My Jayco has a ducted A//C and all the controls are right on the unit. No remote controls. Check yours....
RV'ing since 1960
Dodge Cummins Diesel
Mega Cab
Jayco Travel Trailer

Chris_Bryant
Explorer
Explorer
They use different control boards for ducted and non. You *might* be able to buy a new control board, or maybe discard the non ducted thermostat and wire the ducted t-stat, but I've not seen a non ducted unit, so I cannot guarantee it.
-- Chris Bryant

dashoe4697
Explorer
Explorer
Would it be possible for the controls of a non ducted be modified to work on a ducted

prichardson
Explorer
Explorer
Generally the biggest difference is in the controls and wiring. Ducted units have a relays and wiring that allows them to be controlled from a remote low voltage thermostat. Non ducted have the controls on the ceiling assy. that are generally line voltage.

dashoe4697
Explorer
Explorer
I see that they are different but just trying to figure out how, whats different. Could be a simple DIY modification hat could make it work.

shastagary
Explorer
Explorer
further research shows the top units are different for non-ducted use as the red print at the bottom of this page says
Atwood 15033

shastagary
Explorer
Explorer
looks like you can buy a non-ducted ceiling assembly
Atwood Air Command Non-Ducted Ceiling Assembly

kellertx5er
Explorer
Explorer
You would also have to deal with the difference in control wiring.
Keller TX
'19 Chevy 2500HD 6.0L
'09 Outback Sydney 321FRL 5er
SUPPORT TEXAS STATE PARKS

dashoe4697
Explorer
Explorer
I have the top unit, brand new never installed. What I am missing is the lower portion that would house the vents and the metal lower plate for install. If I purchased the non ducted lower vented set up, would that work and bolt right on, or would I need to modify it further?

What exactly is the difference between a non ducted and ducted other than the lower piece.

Chris_Bryant
Explorer
Explorer
Those are sold as complete units, not individual, but no reason you couldn't build your own air distribution box and use it.
-- Chris Bryant