cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Recreation.gov

Dr__Blake
Explorer
Explorer
Hi - I was wondering if anyone else had this issue...

I would like to book a campsite in Washington State; I am using the new site. I want to book between August 9 - 14. It wont let me. I could book August 9-11; but its like it wont let me book dates that are not available yet (6 month window). I ended up calling the reservation hotline and got everything booked that way with no issue. The hotline told me I should be able to book 2 weeks out from beginning of my trip so long as the start date is in the 6 month window. They had no idea why I couldn't book online.

Any thoughts?

Thanks!!
2013 GMC 3500HD Diesel Denali
2019 Outdoors RV 28BHS
Sold - 2012 Arctic Fox 25S
Alberta Canada

2007 Toyota Tundra 5.7 CrewMax (Sold - I loved this truck)
20 REPLIES 20

dave54
Explorer III
Explorer III
I like one error it made in my favor.

The gov shutdown forced a cancellation and they promptly refunded the amount. But here is the kicker -- the way their billing is set up you pay the full amount then they discount half the price for the pass.
The refund was for the full undiscounted amount. I made money on the shutdown cancellation!
=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=
So many campsites, so little time...
~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~

suprz
Explorer
Explorer
goducks10 wrote:
wildbyon wrote:
New site is terrible!

x2

X3
Proud father of a US Marine

Dr__Blake
Explorer
Explorer
Today - it let me book a site from August 14-19...very strange. But at least it worked today!
2019 Outdoors RV 28BHS
Alberta Canada

goducks10
Explorer
Explorer
wildbyon wrote:
New site is terrible!

x2

wildbyon
Explorer
Explorer
New site is terrible!
'01 Ford F350-7.3l PS Diesel, Lariet, Crew Cab, 4x4, Dully,
BTS transmission, Air bag suspension, exhaust brake, post gauges,
performance chip, 4" exhaust, remote start
'11 5th Wheel 38'Forest River Cardinal
'15 RZR 900 50" Trail, S x S

doxiemom11
Explorer II
Explorer II
It keeps telling me that my browser needs to be updated, and that unless I do, I will be unable to reserve or make payment on the site. My browser is not old and is used to make all kinds of other payments, transfer funds etc. I refuse to change my browser so use their site. Everything else works just fine.

Dr__Blake
Explorer
Explorer
GizmosMom wrote:
I am also thinking that you cannot book sites more than 6 months in advance. Even though August 9 is your first date, August 14 is more than 6 months in advance.

I would agree with this except I called and was told I should be able to book; and booked the dates over the phone no problem...
2019 Outdoors RV 28BHS
Alberta Canada

TheBar
Explorer
Explorer
The Dewayne Hayes campground we stay at regularly not only has a better map than the old website, but also photos of each campsite. It may be just a matter of time before all campgrounds are updated.
Retired factory automation computer programmer
Cabin fever solution: 30' Class C
DW loves it more than I do

TheBar
Explorer
Explorer
Copied from the "Rules and Reservation Policies" tab on recreation.gov:

Booking Window
For most locations, you can reserve six months in advance of your stay for individual sites and 12 months in advance for group sites. There are some exceptions, so it is best to check with each facility.
Retired factory automation computer programmer
Cabin fever solution: 30' Class C
DW loves it more than I do

Goldbrick
Explorer
Explorer
I have used rec.gov for a number of years and loved its convenience for planning trips. I am disappointed to say the least with the new system now in place! I hope that at some point the previous software contractor wins back the contract with our illustrious government

GizmosMom
Explorer
Explorer
I am also thinking that you cannot book sites more than 6 months in advance. Even though August 9 is your first date, August 14 is more than 6 months in advance.
Marilyn w/ Joe, 2016 Class C Sunseeker 2430 SF, often pulling a Ranger bass boat. Traveling with Trigger
Smudge & Gizmo are waiting at the Rainbow Bridge

bikendan
Explorer
Explorer
camperdave wrote:

FWIW, as bad as recreation.gov is, it's WAAAAAY better than reservecalifornia.com (for California state parks).

AMEN TO THAT!
Can't stand the new site.
Dan- Firefighter, Retired:C, Shawn- Musician/Entrepreneur:W, Zoe- Faithful Golden Retriever(RIP:(), 2014 Ford F150 3.5 EcoboostMax Tow pkg, 2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255 w/4pt Equalizer and 5 Mtn. bikes and 2 Road bikes

naturist
Nomad
Nomad
(a) might be that site does not take reservations more than 6 months in advance.
(b) built by the lowest bidder. What do you expect???

Dutch_12078
Explorer
Explorer
GordonThree wrote:
I HIGHLY doubt actual government employees coded the website. It was either farmed out to a contractor with the most generous lobbying package, or thrown together by some concessionaire.

No farming out needed... Recreation.gov is built/maintained by tech/consulting company Booz, Allen, Hamilton. They won the contract bid when the previous contract with Aspira, the ReservationAmerica folks, expired.
Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F53 chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
Bigfoot Automatic Leveling System
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/Blue Ox baseplate