cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Boondocking in Nova Scotia and Newfoundland

waynefi
Explorer
Explorer
What are the rules about boondocking in those places? Is it easy to find a place?
rPod 195
formerly Rockwood MiniLite 1809S
Tacoma V6
8 REPLIES 8

loggenrock
Explorer
Explorer
Can't speak for NS, but in Newfoundland 5 summers ago, we did NOT find it easy to boondock, despite what we were told by others, including in this forum. We did spent several nights in closed parks or large parking lots, but overall those gravel pits seemed hard to locate... That said, we thoroughly enjoyed our time (month) there, and found plenty of really friendly campgrounds where we enjoyed meeting people. It was a cool/wet summer, even by local standards, so the ability to have electric for heat was a definite plus. too. ST
Two and a hound in a 2015 Coachmen Prism "B+"...pushed by '09 Suby Forester
First 50 done, working on the second pass! Nunavut - we'll see...!
2005-2015 Roadtrek 190P
1993-2005 Northstar Soft-Side TC
1989-1993 Backpacks & Tents!
1967-1977 Family TT's

free_radical
Explorer
Explorer
waynefi wrote:
What are the rules about boondocking in those places? Is it easy to find a place?

Maritimes have some of the most friendly people,and plenty of places one can stop park overnight without worry.

I parked in some wooded area in Halifax without anyone bothering me.

dcason
Explorer
Explorer
We spent a few weeks boon docking around Nova Scotia....we just looked at google maps or earth and picked end of the road places on the water. If there was a house nearby (once) we asked if it was okay. We did not spend DAYS in once place...we might ride in in the afternoon and then stay overnight and be gone in the morning. We go before the main season so we get away with more (like staying at lighthouses including louisbourg)...never had a problem there.
Ditto in Newfoundland....picnic parks, almost anywhere really. We use our rv (24 foot class c)...like a roaming hotel and stay pretty much for a night or maybe two). We rarely paid for campgrounds. We did buy the season camping permit for parks in NL and used that occasionally for laundry, water fill/dump and camping.
Labrador....ditto 2013 we did that and would like to do that again but when more is paved (what a racket going on with all the clanging from the gravel road).
Donna

Little_Kopit
Explorer
Explorer
As said by all.

:B
& I, I took the road less travelled by.

My Photo Album, featuring Labrador 2006

chris3403
Explorer
Explorer
As a member of both Boondockerswelcome.com and Harvest Hosts, I had no problem finding places to boondock in Nova Scotia, New Brunswick and Prince Edward Island.
My favorite place of all time was at Hennigar's Farm Market in Wolfville, NS
I pulled a 40ft 5th wheel.
I've been to all 50 States but my RV hasn't.

w4phj
Explorer
Explorer
Not sure about the rules in NS.

I stayed in many large shopping centers as
low profile as possible. Never a problem.
2021 Winnebago View 24J
2021 Ram pick up
2015 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sahara
Ham Radio Extra Class Volunteer Examiner
FAA A&P License

1969 Plymouth Road Runner

VTLee
Explorer
Explorer
Never tried it in Nova Scotia. In Newfoundland it is known as "gravel pit" camping and there are lots of places and many people doing it, at least there was 4 years ago. Don't know if times have changed.

GordonThree
Explorer
Explorer
And Labrador? Also interested ??
2013 KZ Sportsmen Classic 200, 20 ft TT
2020 RAM 1500, 5.7 4x4, 8 speed