cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Bronze with wet bolts or never fail bushings?

colliehauler
Explorer
Explorer
I mentioned on another thread I purchased a project trailer. I plan on redoing the suspension while it's at the house. I have already ordered new tires, equaflex and shock kit's already. Trying to decide between wet bolts with bronze bushings or never fail bushings?

Project trailer is 2009 Keystone Hideout 30SRS
24 REPLIES 24

colliehauler
Explorer
Explorer
Lynnmor wrote:
colliehauler wrote:

Thanks a forum member made his own and posted pictures don't remember who, that's what gave me the idea. What did you use to cut a groove in the bronze bushings? Possible metal jig saw blade?

You can use a Dremel type of tool with a ball end. Do not cut very deep, the material is very thin, and do not cut the groove all the way to the outside, Use a crude figure eight design, it doesn't need to be pretty, and install with the grease hole where the design crosses.

You may have seen my installation:
Thanks for reposting the pictures, will pick up a Dremel.

colliehauler
Explorer
Explorer
myredracer wrote:
Good call on the Dexter wet bolts. Their EZ-Flex equalizer is also a good idea. We have both. The OEM cheapo/cr@p plastic spring bushings just don't last very long, as in only a couple thousand miles.

You might also consider installing a stronger axle instead of a cross-brace. You can order a 5-lug axle with a larger diameter 3" tube so you can keep your existing wheels. If you turn a sharp corner, stop and get out and look at your axles, one pair of wheels will be substantially off-camber due to bending of the axle. Our TT has a 6800 lb GVWR and we have 5200 lb axles instead of OEM 3500 lbs. Huge improvement.

Adding gussets directly above the spring hangers will help to reduce flexing of the lower web of an I-beam. The photos below are from a previous 29' TT we took into a frame shop. Notice the distortion in the I-beam due to the spring hangers constantly flexing left/right. This is after only 2K miles from Indiana to the dealer on the west coast. Eventually, this would probably lead to fatigue cracks in the frame. The spring hangers which were bent to one side by around 5/8" out of plumb.

Personally I wouldn't just install a cross-brace only. Besides adding gussets, boxing in the spring hangers would help reduce the side-side flexing. Any welding should be done by a certified welder who knows what he/she is doing. But like the frame & axle shop said about our previous TT, no amount of upgrading to the weak frames will make it like it ought to have been in the first place at the factory.

Maybe install stiffer springs too. To go even further, install shock absorbers - the improvement is amazing. Everything you can do to reduce movement of the trailer "box" relative to the ground will help. Even upgrading from LRC to LRD tires will help.

I thought about upgrading the axles but didnโ€™t want to get to much money into this project. Your right on where do you stop trying to make a sow's ear into a silk purse. I ordered load range E tires to replace the load range D as well. My neighbor can weld up some braces that I can bolt into place for very little money.

colliehauler
Explorer
Explorer
dodge guy wrote:
I have the Dexter Ezflex and wet bolts with bronze bushings. One of the best things Iโ€™ve done. I didnโ€™t like the look of the equaflex system. There is a video of an install on you tube. Because they are taller they place more leverage on everything. In the video you can see things moving that shouldnโ€™t. And during braking you can see one axle lift because of the leverage it introduces to the suspension.

This video also has the correct track installed along with the equa flex. Maybe that makes a difference? I donโ€™t know, but no thanks!

Equaflex testdrive.
Thanks for the video, I already have the equaflex, shock kits, wetbolts, and bronze bushings. I figure it will be better then stock. Now just need some decent weather so I can go retrieve my project trailer from back East.

myredracer
Explorer II
Explorer II
Good call on the Dexter wet bolts. Their EZ-Flex equalizer is also a good idea. We have both. The OEM cheapo/cr@p plastic spring bushings just don't last very long, as in only a couple thousand miles.

You might also consider installing a stronger axle instead of a cross-brace. You can order a 5-lug axle with a larger diameter 3" tube so you can keep your existing wheels. If you turn a sharp corner, stop and get out and look at your axles, one pair of wheels will be substantially off-camber due to bending of the axle. Our TT has a 6800 lb GVWR and we have 5200 lb axles instead of OEM 3500 lbs. Huge improvement.

Adding gussets directly above the spring hangers will help to reduce flexing of the lower web of an I-beam. The photos below are from a previous 29' TT we took into a frame shop. Notice the distortion in the I-beam due to the spring hangers constantly flexing left/right. This is after only 2K miles from Indiana to the dealer on the west coast. Eventually, this would probably lead to fatigue cracks in the frame. The spring hangers which were bent to one side by around 5/8" out of plumb.

Personally I wouldn't just install a cross-brace only. Besides adding gussets, boxing in the spring hangers would help reduce the side-side flexing. Any welding should be done by a certified welder who knows what he/she is doing. But like the frame & axle shop said about our previous TT, no amount of upgrading to the weak frames will make it like it ought to have been in the first place at the factory.

Maybe install stiffer springs too. To go even further, install shock absorbers - the improvement is amazing. Everything you can do to reduce movement of the trailer "box" relative to the ground will help. Even upgrading from LRC to LRD tires will help.

Lynnmor
Explorer
Explorer
You can replace the straight grease fittings with 90 degree fittings to make it easier.

Ramp_Digger
Explorer
Explorer
Charlie D. wrote:
Also place the bolt head with grease fitting where it is easiest to grease. I didn't do all of mine that way and some are a bear to grease.
x2 on that. I put the grease fittings turned to the inside away from the tires. It was so close to the tires the other way it was impossible to grease them without removing the tires.
05 dodge 3500 cummins diesel, 8.5 alaskan on flatbed

Charlie_D_
Explorer
Explorer
Also place the bolt head with grease fitting where it is easiest to grease. I didn't do all of mine that way and some are a bear to grease.
Enjoying Your Freedom?
Thank A Veteran
Native Texan
2013 Prime Time Crusader 330MKS
2018 Chevy 2500 D/A Z71 4x4 Offroad
2006 Holiday Rambler Savoy 33SKT-40,000 trouble free miles-retired
2006 Chevy 2500 D/A-retired
2013 Chevy 2500 D/A-retired

RCMAN46
Explorer
Explorer
ScottG wrote:

A tip: When you get your wet bolts, pump grease through them BEFORE you install them.
Some of mine wern't drilled all the way! (and after a bit of time, eTrailer wouldn't replace them.)

X2. I had the same problem with my wet bolts.

MFL
Nomad II
Nomad II
^^^^
Nice job Lynnmor, that is a great looking suspension set up!!

Jerry

Lynnmor
Explorer
Explorer
colliehauler wrote:

Thanks a forum member made his own and posted pictures don't remember who, that's what gave me the idea. What did you use to cut a groove in the bronze bushings? Possible metal jig saw blade?

You can use a Dremel type of tool with a ball end. Do not cut very deep, the material is very thin, and do not cut the groove all the way to the outside, Use a crude figure eight design, it doesn't need to be pretty, and install with the grease hole where the design crosses.

You may have seen my installation:

dodge_guy
Explorer
Explorer
I have the Dexter Ezflex and wet bolts with bronze bushings. One of the best things Iโ€™ve done. I didnโ€™t like the look of the equaflex system. There is a video of an install on you tube. Because they are taller they place more leverage on everything. In the video you can see things moving that shouldnโ€™t. And during braking you can see one axle lift because of the leverage it introduces to the suspension.

This video also has the correct track installed along with the equa flex. Maybe that makes a difference? I donโ€™t know, but no thanks!

Equaflex testdrive.
Wife Kim
Son Brandon 17yrs
Daughter Marissa 16yrs
Dog Bailey

12 Forest River Georgetown 350TS Hellwig sway bars, BlueOx TrueCenter stabilizer

13 Ford Explorer Roadmaster Stowmaster 5000, VIP Tow>
A bad day camping is
better than a good day at work!

colliehauler
Explorer
Explorer
Lynnmor wrote:
You can buy bolt-in cross braces like these: X-Factor

You want to install bracing at, or near, the spring ends to prevent the parallelogram effect of the frame when there is a side load. Frame cracks and tank support cross-members failing will be greatly reduced with added braces. I made my own and bolted them in so that the underbelly could be accessed if needed.

The wet bolt bushings can crack because spring eyes are not very round, so your results can vary. Before installing bronze bushings, make a groove inside to carry the grease. When the bolt hole is pressing against the bushing it becomes impossible to get grease in without jacking the trailer if no groove is provided.

Lynnmor
Explorer
Explorer
You can buy bolt-in cross braces like these: X-Factor

You want to install bracing at, or near, the spring ends to prevent the parallelogram effect of the frame when there is a side load. Frame cracks and tank support cross-members failing will be greatly reduced with added braces. I made my own and bolted them in so that the underbelly could be accessed if needed.

The wet bolt bushings can crack because spring eyes are not very round, so your results can vary. Before installing bronze bushings, make a groove inside to carry the grease. When the bolt hole is pressing against the bushing it becomes impossible to get grease in without jacking the trailer if no groove is provided.

colliehauler
Explorer
Explorer
ScottG wrote:
I had Never Fails in our last TT - they lasted about 5 years. The only one that really wore out was the single point a the equalizer.
Replaced all with Wet Bolts and bronze bushing - I couldn't wear those out.
A tip: When you get your wet bolts, pump grease through them BEFORE you install them.
Some of mine wern't drilled all the way! (and after a bit of time, eTrailer wouldn't replace them.)
Thanks for the tip will pump grease through them before installing.