Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Air brakes in Canada?

PNW_Steve
Explorer
Explorer
Hello Everyone,

My latest rig has air brakes. I mentioned this to you a gentle who warned me that an air brake endorsement.

I would expect that they would honor one from the US (reciprocity).

Unfortunately, Washington State does not offer a non-commercial air brake endorsement.

I know plenty of people travel through BC on the way to Alaska.

How have you all dealt with this?
2004.5 Dodge 3500 5.9 Cummins, NV5400, 5" turbo back stainless exhaust, Edger programmer & 22.5 Alcoa's
2002 Forest River 36 5th Wheel (staying home)
1992 Jayco 29 5th Wheel (Mexico veteran & headed back)
2002 "faux" Wanderlodge 40' My new toy....
6 REPLIES 6

wilber1
Explorer
Explorer
JaxDad wrote:
NO!!

This is one of those items that SEEMS to be drivers license related, but it is NOT. It is an ‘equipment’ item.

Not getting caught? Great, so I speed and don’t get caught, that means the speed limit is unenforceable or non-existent? Nope.

In Ontario for example, the ‘equipment’ reg’s say a ‘qualified’ person (lic.mechanic, holder of an air endorsement, etc) must inspect the air brakes every day, or part of day, air brake equipment is operated on the road here before it goes down the road.

I know of several people that had a 5’er over the limit for a ‘regular’ car license, they were illegal pulling out of their driveway, yet hauled them all over North America for many years.

Legal? No. Did they get away with it? Yes.

In BC you need an air endorsement to your license if you operate an RV with air bakes. We also have the same reg as Ontario for towing over 4600 kg. However, they wouldn't apply to the OP.
"Never trust a man who has not a single redeeming vice" WSC

2011 RAM 3500 SRW
2015 Grand Design Reflection 303RLS

JaxDad
Explorer III
Explorer III
NO!!

This is one of those items that SEEMS to be drivers license related, but it is NOT. It is an ‘equipment’ item.

Not getting caught? Great, so I speed and don’t get caught, that means the speed limit is unenforceable or non-existent? Nope.

In Ontario for example, the ‘equipment’ reg’s say a ‘qualified’ person (lic.mechanic, holder of an air endorsement, etc) must inspect the air brakes every day, or part of day, air brake equipment is operated on the road here before it goes down the road.

I know of several people that had a 5’er over the limit for a ‘regular’ car license, they were illegal pulling out of their driveway, yet hauled them all over North America for many years.

Legal? No. Did they get away with it? Yes.

garyhaupt
Explorer
Explorer
I agree..that if you are legal in your home state, you are legal all over, too. Having said that? I'd be calling the province's motor vehicle dept and make sure.

Gary Haupt
I have a Blog..about stuff, some of which is RV'ing.

http://mrgwh.blogspot.ca/

Beverley_Ken
Explorer
Explorer
Drivers License is reciprocity, is recognized across U.S. states and Canadian provinces.
Required equipment or safety items are dependent on location.
If you are licensed properly in your home jurisdiction, you are legal all over.

Ken
2006 Winnebago Outlook 29B E-450.
2012 Honda CR-V AWD
Blue Ox Aventa LX tow bar and Brake Buddy Vantage.

chiefneon
Explorer
Explorer
Howdy!

I use a MDT with air brakes to pull our 5er. I’ve crossed the Canadian border on several occasions in the Maritimes and tripsto Alaska. The only thing they have ever asked for were our passports, never asked to see my drivers licenses.

“Happy Trails”
Chiefneon

netjam
Explorer
Explorer
You need to comply with the regs in the state your rv is registered. If you are ok in washington you are ok in canada.